U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:49 AM

4,723 posts, read 14,684,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, as I said in my first post, my stylist does beautiful work . . . and his colorists do, too . . . and I have been very happy w/ all the color work I have had them do. But the cost is just too much - and I have decided I don't want to go one place for color and another for cut. I am a very hands on person and have been messing w/ my hair since I was 14 wh/ makes that close to 40 years. I have done all sorts of things to my hair over the years and two things I know for sure: 1. nothing I have ever done that couldn't be corrected (altho I can't really think of any disasters except color that has not come out to the shade I wanted and 2. Hair grows out.

Decades ago I used to use a cap and do my own frosting - as well as doing all my friends' frosting. Never messed up on myself or anyone else. So I think it will be fun to try NCMom's suggestion and see how it works. If I hate it - so what. I will do what I did back in the 70s . . . when my color came out awful after trying to lighten it, Hee Hee . . . Just re-color it.

I will be picking up some of the L'Oreal in the next week or two and I will post back to let you all know how good (or bad!!!!) it comes out.
My story is the same as yours, so I would love to hear how it comes out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:59 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,613,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
My story is the same as yours, so I would love to hear how it comes out.
I will be checking back in! Gonna put my regular very intense, bright red on this weekend . . . then go out and find the frosting kit!!! So I may not put the frosting on til next weekend . . . check back cause I will post the honest truth of how good/bad it turned out!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
The best that my hair has ever looked has been when I have colored it the base-red color that I like, invite a girlfriend over, get a bottle of wine, a blonding color, a low-light color and some tin foil and just let her go to town, with me advising- "okay, now do the blond, now do the brown". Even my stylist loved it.

If your hair is long, I would suggest two bottles of wine!

Now that I have moved away from my friend, I recently tried using those silver hair clips to affix a sheet of tin foil over the top of my head and pulling the hair through the tinfoil to highlight. I liked it better than the caps that I have tried, as I find them hard to deal with. I just made my own holes through the tin foil with the knitting needle-thing. I am thinking of trying a double layer of tinfoil this weekend- to be able to do the highlights and lowlights..
You are my kinda friend! My hair is short, so will only need one bottle of wine, LOL. I will see if one of my friends can come over and "play!" What a hoot. I love your experimentation w/ the foil . . . I am impressed.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:56 AM

4,723 posts, read 14,684,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I will be checking back in! Gonna put my regular very intense, bright red on this weekend . . . then go out and find the frosting kit!!! So I may not put the frosting on til next weekend . . . check back cause I will post the honest truth of how good/bad it turned out!
Yep, I am one of those 'natural redheads' . I had it highlighted professionally and it was just too much $$$ to keep it up. I have longer hair and have colored my own since I was 14 ,back when decided to become a 'natural blonde'. Good luck, I will be looking for your glorious results !

Old 04-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Yep, I am one of those 'natural redheads' . I had it highlighted professionally and it was just too much $$$ to keep it up. I have longer hair and have colored my own since I was 14 ,back when decided to become a 'natural blonde'. Good luck, I will be looking for your glorious results !
Thanks for wishing me good luck on this one! I will def let you know!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:19 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,562,200 times
Didn't hear back from anifani? Let us know how it turned out anifani!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM

40 posts, read 137,928 times
I wouldn't trust myself with highlights. Highlights is harder to do than to color, so that's why there are professionals who do that.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:56 PM

I realize that not everyone goes by todays trends, but the big obvious chunky striped streaks are very out. More subtle looks less harsh and more natural but if that is not your thing, go for it!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,822,975 times
Perhaps someone can add input to this.
I now frost my hair with a cap. Never had any problem.

I used to buy the boxed dyes and do the whole head.
Then, I started going to a beauty supply store and mixing my own.
Then, I would buy several dyes and get interesting mixures of color.

I know different dyes are different chemical formulations, but
once I mixed two different products.
Stupid me, forgot which they were.
Probably a Wella and something else.

The highlights were out of this world. Light just bouncing
around on top of my head.
The underneath color was the same, but the highlights
seemed to change as I moved my head.
It seemed as though a couple chemicals did not mix,
with marvelous result.

Does anyone have an idea of what caused this?
Could it be that I mixed a glaze with the dye?

The color mix, I think, was red with blonde or light brown.

?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 AM

Not sure why, but your way is the best way to get a natural dimensional look, not using a boxed one color formulation. I use up to four colors at a time to get a more natural vibrant look, both professionally and personally. By the way, don't let the sales people fool you into thinking that you have to buy seperate developers from each color company you use. They try to get extra money by telling consumers that only the developer that goes with the color will work together. Bull!! And you defintely can use different color from different companies and mix and match. Very brave and smart of you to do it this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care