U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 AM

12,408 posts, read 17,824,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Not sure why, but your way is the best way to get a natural dimensional look, not using a boxed one color formulation. I use up to four colors at a time to get a more natural vibrant look, both professionally and personally. By the way, don't let the sales people fool you into thinking that you have to buy seperate developers from each color company you use. They try to get extra money by telling consumers that only the developer that goes with the color will work together. Bull!! And you defintely can use different color from different companies and mix and match. Very brave and smart of you to do it this way.
I no longer use boxes, thank you. I have graduated into the 'big girl' stuff .
Ok, so I can mix all the different dye companies together.
Can I throw in a glaze? Are glazes known for out of this world highlights?
Glazes do not lighten, but just add some color, no?

I have heard that henna has knockout shine.
Henna is a different chemical than the ordinary dyes.
I do not think I mixed that in with the others.

Yeah. I guess peroxide is peroxide. I can't see that there would be a huge difference. I know peroxide is dated in some code that I can't read, so I never know the expiration of what I got. Because of that, I keep all of my liquids in the fridge. You wouldn't know how to read the expiration, by any chance?

Are you saying you mix four colors together, or that you use them individually? Sorry if that sounds dumb.

I used to dye the whole head, but the bleach(frosting) is so much harsher on my hair that it actually gives it more texture. My hair is fine and I like the added fullness.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 AM

5,835 posts, read 4,563,258 times
You don't have to keep peroxide in the fridge. It's not like milk!

Yes, I mix all four colors together and you can add a glaze but only about 1/4 oz. so you don't dilute the color. Using a clear glaze adds more shine or you can use it seperately to keep your color longer. Henna should never be mixed with regular colors or with peroxide. It's all natural and therefore, temporary. Again, clear henna adds a lot of shine to all hair and is good for it. The best glazes are by Redken but only a licensed hairstylist can buy it. Clairol makes one also called Shine Happy.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,824,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
You don't have to keep peroxide in the fridge. It's not like milk!

Yes, I mix all four colors together and you can add a glaze but only about 1/4 oz. so you don't dilute the color. Using a clear glaze adds more shine or you can use it seperately to keep your color longer. Henna should never be mixed with regular colors or with peroxide. It's all natural and therefore, temporary. Again, clear henna adds a lot of shine to all hair and is good for it. The best glazes are by Redken but only a licensed hairstylist can buy it. Clairol makes one also called Shine Happy.
Things with an expiration date can be kept longer in the fridge because heat speeds chemical reactions and bacterial growth and cold slows it down.

Thank you so much for the glaze info.
That's probably what I had picked up, inadvertantly. My hair was red then.

I look better in light hair, but to me there is nothing as gorgious as the highlights on darker hair. Even among cats on a great diet, it is the black ones that really shine.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 814 times
Did the OP ever update? I'm just about to attempt some blonde streaks in the front of my dyed red hair. Strand test was fine. I was going to attempt my own chunky woven with foil but I'm tempted by the foil hat and punching holes in it.
And I know well meaning advice from the professionals, but if I had the money to go to a salon I would. I haven't got the cash and am unlikely to have enough for some time (pesky kids, forever wanting food and fitting shoes lol x)
Those little bits of blonde at the front make all the difference. They light up my face and compliment the cut.
Wish me luck I'm about to head for the bathroom!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM

75 posts, read 87,990 times
This is a little off topic, but some of you mentioned your hair getting really dry with repeated coloring/highlighting -- what do you use to condition it back to a shiny state as opposed to dry mess? Thanks! :-)

Old 11-22-2015, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 486 times
Is it bad to color the hair first with base dark color then rinse and dry and foil I'm bleach highlights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care