Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

I color my hair. My hairdresser charges a lot of money to color it and then put several chunky blonde streaks in it. I know there are "kits" I can buy, but I want to know what to buy at Sally's (or some beauty supply outlet) to add the streaks and the steps involved in doing it.

I don't like the colors that come in the "kits" - I want my own shade of base haircolor and then "streak" it myself. I have had someone say - I could use a cap and pull the hair through myself. Yes, I can surely do that, but what product do I buy that works on hair that is already colored? I don't want to end up w/ orange or green hair, LOL. That is why I have been paying a premium price for my hairdresser to do it. But it would cost me an additional $1500 or so a year to keep this up. So I need an alternative.

Thank you for any help. I need to know the process to use as well as the products to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:50 PM

45 posts, read 221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I color my hair. My hairdresser charges a lot of money to color it and then put several chunky blonde streaks in it. I know there are "kits" I can buy, but I want to know what to buy at Sally's (or some beauty supply outlet) to add the streaks and the steps involved in doing it.

I don't like the colors that come in the "kits" - I want my own shade of base haircolor and then "streak" it myself. I have had someone say - I could use a cap and pull the hair through myself. Yes, I can surely do that, but what product do I buy that works on hair that is already colored? I don't want to end up w/ orange or green hair, LOL. That is why I have been paying a premium price for my hairdresser to do it. But it would cost me an additional $1500 or so a year to keep this up. So I need an alternative.

Thank you for any help. I need to know the process to use as well as the products to buy.
What would be the original color you have now, and what level, dark, light dark, or medium,? How long is your hair? How many times has it been colored before that is still on your hair?

Old 01-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singa View Post
What would be the original color you have now, and what level, dark, light dark, or medium,? How long is your hair? How many times has it been colored before that is still on your hair?
I have red hair and have been coloring my hair for decades, LOL. It is a very bright red, much brighter than my natural color. Vivid. That is why the streaks look so nice - it knocks down the red somewhat but still is a fun color.

I have no streaks at this time.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I have red hair and have been coloring my hair for decades, LOL. It is a very bright red, much brighter than my natural color. Vivid. That is why the streaks look so nice - it knocks down the red somewhat but still is a fun color.

I have no streaks at this time.
If I'm hearing right, you would like your streaked hair a little less red,, and not lighter, but maybe a tad darker?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
A word to the wise - pulling your hair through a cap can result in step ladder results - not what you want.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
A word to the wise - pulling your hair through a cap can result in step ladder results - not what you want.
I agree . A good Stylist can greatly reduse that. but a do at home,, can be trouble.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:43 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,602 times
I have done the cap thing many times...it's a drag,, though, but it works okay. My hair is dark brown, but I color it blonde. I use L'Oreal Blondissimus. It works great and has a conditioner which keeps my hair very soft. I used to go to the hairdresser to get my hair colored..they had it so dried out. It was a mess.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Personally I dont like those blonde 'streaks' in my own, though they may look good on some people. If I do blonde, its the whole thing, just like if I do any other colour, its all or none.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:25 PM

Default Sounds like no one knows how to do this, LOL

Well, I am just looking for info about doing what my hairdresses has done in the past and I don't want to pay $3000 a year for. That is how much the foiling costs me. I have red color put on and some blonde streaks added in.

We are talking 2 - 3 CHUNKY blonde streaks here. Some chunky streaks of blonde in the front and then very small strands of blonde interspersed in the rest of my hair. I know exactly where I want to put them. I just need to know what products to use.

Do I just color my hair as usual . .. then apply some kind of bleach or what to get the chunks? And what kind of "toner" do I use to keep the bleached hair from getting brassy/orange? Anyone have a clue? Surely someone is a hairdresser and can tell me what to go tell the person at Sally's what it is that I want to buy. ???

Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Well, I am just looking for info about doing what my hairdresses has done in the past and I don't want to pay $3000 a year for. That is how much the foiling costs me. I have red color put on and some blonde streaks added in.

We are talking 2 - 3 CHUNKY blonde streaks here. Some chunky streaks of blonde in the front and then very small strands of blonde interspersed in the rest of my hair. I know exactly where I want to put them. I just need to know what products to use.

Do I just color my hair as usual . .. then apply some kind of bleach or what to get the chunks? And what kind of "toner" do I use to keep the bleached hair from getting brassy/orange? Anyone have a clue? Surely someone is a hairdresser and can tell me what to go tell the person at Sally's what it is that I want to buy. ???
Anifani_ The truth,,,, Hair Stylist know that there can be some bad results, and at their salon, they may have 20-50 shades to correct the problem. You don't have that many shades. Sally's has 5-7 different types of bleaches ,that can work differently. None of the hair stylist I know who have streaks in their hair ever, ever, do it to them selves. And if anyone can do it to themselves, it would be them. Can you practice foiling your self? with shaving cream?? That's what hairstylist have to do many times till they are good enough to do it for a costomer.
Idea,,You want to do this your self, to save money. Why not save money, and have someone else do it. Let us know what city your near and some of us might be able to lower your price...? You say you live on the Yellow Brick Road, isn't there a Wizzard at the end of your street? Have you tryed ww.Yellowpages.co (broken link)? you should be able to beat 3000/year. To basically answer your question, Go to Sally's and ask them. You'll need a certain bleach and a certain color. They can see your hair. Before you start,, make sure you have a good friend that can help if you need help. Does this help any?

Last edited by Singa; 01-28-2008 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care