U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:56 PM

914 posts, read 940,749 times

Advertisements

I went to get a haircut today from a new stylist and was very specific in what I wanted. I showed her several pics, this being one of them:

I told the stylist that it was similar to what I already have and all I wanted to do was clean the lines up and add some additional layers in the back. I made it CLEAR that I wanted to still be able to put my hair in a bun or a ponytail, as shorter hair is too much maintenance for me these days. I then showed her 3 more pics very similar to that one and she got to work. We were chatting and everything was going well and I THOUGHT that she was just cutting my layers and then I looked closer and she had cut about 4-5 inches off of my hair!! I started to get upset and almost cry and told her that it was MUCH shorter than I had asked for and she apologized. And she still made me pay for it! I just wanted to get the hell out of there so I paid and left and called my husband and burst into tears.
This is what I ended up with (not actually me but it's almost exactly what she did):

I'm really upset and ticked off! I used to LOVE getting my hair done years ago and I actually used to have shorter hair for years and years and then I grew it out because it is so much easier to deal with when you have kids. For the last several years I've not enjoyed going to the salon that much at all because so often the stylist will do an INTERPRETATION of what I ask for- and I always bring several pictures and communicate clearly.

I am SICK of paying stylists to screw up, what is wrong with them?? I am thinking of putting extensions in but I really don't want to drop a minimum of $500 to have longer hair. Luckily my hair grows pretty fast so that's good. I told my husband that I am no longer going to get my hair cut professionally and will keep letting HIM cut my length and I will do my layers. Twenty years of salon visits have taught me a thing or two so I am confident I can do it on my own.

Freaking hair stylists!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 01:20 PM

309 posts, read 479,543 times
You can totally get the blunt cut like the style you showed, and then cut in layers on your own to achieve that look.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:23 PM

Well, the only way I am going to get something that resembles the first pic is to grow my hair out. I'll be buying some biotin supplements later to speed the process up!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:24 PM

10,058 posts, read 17,911,116 times
I've had the same thing happen---they cut it waaaaay to short!

I do like the OP, tell them exactly what I want, bring in pictures, etc, but they just don't listen

I've found the biggest problem is, they start cutting from the back, and you don't actually see what they are doing until they come more to the front, by then, the damage is done. In your case, the pictures you showed her are similar to a popular style, the bob, or whatever its called. She stopped listening onc she saw the picture and decided she knew how to do your style, and just proceeded

I've had that happen more times than I can count. I don't know how to communicate so they will listen, but I certainly wouldn't have paid for it. I would have told her look---this doesn't even begin to resemble the picture or what I told you. Just STOP right now, I won't pay you, and I will go to another shop to have this mess fixed.

Of course, that's assuming you want to walk around several days with a bad haircut!

I just happened to find an excellent haircutter at one of those budget places, cost of haircut $10! Now its raised to $12, but I would gladly pay double that for the decent haircut I get! I always leave a generous tip, usually $10--$15, its worth it!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:46 PM

11,494 posts, read 24,530,066 times
In a month or two it should be fine.

At least you have hair...I wear a wig if I want to look presentable, or a hat or bandanna if I don't care how I look. I've taken biotin for a year now, hoping my hair would start to grow back, and it hasn't. I'm not trying to say your bad haircut isn't important, but you still look normal and presentable, even if the haircut isn't exactly what you wanted.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:58 PM

37,418 posts, read 48,757,247 times
Talk to the owner/manager, you shouldn't have to pay full price when you do not get the service that you requested. Owners generally do not want their salons badmouthed, which is what you're risking if you don't try to make some type of recompense for a cut that the customer is unsatisified with, and short of replacing cut-off hair, giving a discount or refund is about the only recompense possible.

I also would not go back to that same stylist, possibly the salon, overall. And I'd write a yelp review with constructive criticism, and pictures.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:06 PM

UPDATE: I ended up contacting the stylist via her FB page and let her know that I was very unhappy with the cut and that I didn't understand where the break in communication happened, as I was very specific in what I asked her to do. I didn't blast her or anything and let her know that I believed she is a nice person and a professional but that she didn't listen to me and, as her client, it is a lousy feeling to have when you pay for something and get the opposite of what you asked for. She wrote me back and apologized profusely and claimed that in the near decade that she has been doing hair she has never had anyone not like what she's done- I find that hard to believe, you can't please EVERYONE, regardless of how good you are- and that she feels awful that she assumed I meant something else when I described the haircut to her. She is going to refund my money and said that she is going to take this as a lesson to be more clear with her clients in the future.

I cancelled my appointment I had to consult for hair extensions- I'll just live with and let it grow out. Got some biotin, too! I know this all may sound silly- it's just that I haven't had this kind of short hair in 10 years and it threw my off.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:23 PM

18,434 posts, read 32,198,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
UPDATE: I ended up contacting the stylist via her FB page and let her know that I was very unhappy with the cut and that I didn't understand where the break in communication happened, as I was very specific in what I asked her to do. I didn't blast her or anything and let her know that I believed she is a nice person and a professional but that she didn't listen to me and, as her client, it is a lousy feeling to have when you pay for something and get the opposite of what you asked for. She wrote me back and apologized profusely and claimed that in the near decade that she has been doing hair she has never had anyone not like what she's done- I find that hard to believe, you can't please EVERYONE, regardless of how good you are- and that she feels awful that she assumed I meant something else when I described the haircut to her. She is going to refund my money and said that she is going to take this as a lesson to be more clear with her clients in the future.

I cancelled my appointment I had to consult for hair extensions- I'll just live with and let it grow out. Got some biotin, too! I know this all may sound silly- it's just that I haven't had this kind of short hair in 10 years and it threw my off.
I like the second cut much more than the first one. I actually have mine a lot like that and even though I can't put my hair up anymore,I still love the cut and I really don't even have to style it...

Old 09-19-2015, 04:38 PM

13,445 posts, read 24,037,847 times
I guess I'm blind, but the two pics. only have a small diff. w/the 2nd having some layers in the back. We can't really tell, obviously, since this ISN'T even a pic. of what you actually got.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:40 PM

342 posts, read 392,816 times
Some stylists just cant get the length right because they cannot get down a simple rule of wet hair during cutting: wet hair are appears longer, so they have to cut LESS to get a desirable length of dry hair right.
OP, I am feeling for you, I will be upset too. But hair grows thanks God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care