Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 10:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I would use a soft demi shade (not permanent) that's in between your lightest and darkest sections and continue with the haircuts. The demi shade will eventually wash out---usually in 28 shampoos; but gray doesn't hold color that well anyway so maybe sooner.

The demi color won't really change the hair that has permanent color, but it should at least blend everything together. Bonus is that the gray will end up lighter and look more like highlights.

After a few months of demi color and hair cuts, you should be pretty close to natural color.
Good tips - thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 11:30 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
My wife has long white hair, even though it makes her look like Gravel Gertie, I'm glad she doesn't color it because it would be more difficult to see when it clogs up the roller brush on the vacuum cleaner.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:35 AM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
my wife has long white hair, even though it makes her look like gravel gertie, i'm glad she doesn't color it because it would be more difficult to see when it clogs up the roller brush on the vacuum cleaner.
lol!

Old 01-21-2016, 11:48 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's what I'm thinking about doing - dying it a soft light brown for awhile till most of the top grows out. Luckily for me, I have a sort of funky cut so darker ends on top may actually look sort of intentional. Sort of. LOL
You could go for an ombre look. Have fun with it.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Now THIS I like...im considering doing it myself.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Re: growing your hair out, buy a "cheap" (under $100; not from the Dollar Store) wig and shave your head. I'm serious. Within a month or two, you'll have a smokin' hot short white do with no awkward skunk line. The ONLY way I will every rock the solid gray hair is either very short (love the micro-pixie) or very long and piled up on top, like Katherine Hepburn.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:39 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good tips - thank you!
Be careful of the demi - it is often permanent. It s on my hair. I only ever used demi, and in two years it has never even faded, let alone washed out! Demi has peroxide, and any color with peroxide will alter your permanent hair color even if it does fade out for you. I still think the highlights would be your best way to go if you can't stand the stripe. But honestly, it would grow out so fast for you, just do what you can to disguise and get through the awkward stage.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Re: growing your hair out, buy a "cheap" (under $100; not from the Dollar Store) wig and shave your head. I'm serious. Within a month or two, you'll have a smokin' hot short white do with no awkward skunk line. The ONLY way I will every rock the solid gray hair is either very short (love the micro-pixie) or very long and piled up on top, like Katherine Hepburn.
This is what I would do.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Hey, that's not a bad idea! It's not like I have a really conservative hairstyle anyway.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Be careful of the demi - it is often permanent. It s on my hair. I only ever used demi, and in two years it has never even faded, let alone washed out! Demi has peroxide, and any color with peroxide will alter your permanent hair color even if it does fade out for you. I still think the highlights would be your best way to go if you can't stand the stripe. But honestly, it would grow out so fast for you, just do what you can to disguise and get through the awkward stage.

I have decided to give it a try!

My gray and white hairs don't hold color well at first anyway (the ends are apparently nuked into oblivion with dark warm brown so they're not a problem). So I think I can just go lighter and lighter with the nonpermanent dyes, and wash it more often (right now I only "have to" wash it about once every four or five days because it's never oily and I don't use a lot of product in it). I could wash it every other day and use lighter and lighter colors and I think it will be grown out even on top in about six months. I'm going to try it!

An issue that I have is that my husband thinks he doesn't want me going gray. Never mind that he is 100 percent gray - I guess that's fine for him but not for me. Anyway, I think if I ease it in on him with lighter and lighter coloring and just don't make a big deal out of it, I might can get him used to it.

I have tried on gray and white and mixed color sort of wigs and honestly, they look good with my skin. I have dark eyes and lots of color to my cheeks and I am really hoping my hair ends up WHITE in a few years because I have my grandmother's coloring and her white hair with her skin and eyes was beautiful. Right now, I know it's not white, but it does seem to have a fairly normal sort of "fade" going on - much lighter on top and darker on the sides and back. I'm OK with that.

I agree with otterhere - I will not have gray hair unless it's very short or very long. One day I will end up with a very short, stark white, pixie cut and I absolutely can't wait for that day! Meanwhile, though, I think the natural colors are sort of a hot mess. I'm just tired of coloring my hair!

WHOOHOOO!!!!!

OK, here's the start. I colored it about three weeks ago:

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care