Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 08:07 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times

Advertisements

So I bit the bullet and paid for salon coloring. I have med brown hair that is about 25 -30% greying, I had my hair colored about five months prior and the previous stylist had put a few two many highlights in ( and hadn't broken them up enough) - I went back to a solid color.

The colorist recommended a root touch up in about four weeks and a "glazing treatment" at the same time to preserve/freshen up the rest.

The glazing treatment seems to cost the same as the full color - is there any reason that I can't do this at home?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 10:52 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Absolutely. I do glazes at home all the time. Just make sure you pick the right color/tone glaze as that will effect the overall color. For example, I have blonde hair and I'll occasionally put a strawberry glaze on top to add warmth. Of course, there are also clear glazes.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:30 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Absolutely. I do glazes at home all the time. Just make sure you pick the right color/tone glaze as that will effect the overall color. For example, I have blonde hair and I'll occasionally put a strawberry glaze on top to add warmth. Of course, there are also clear glazes.
Hmm, I didn't realize they came in colors. So when she colored over the highlights , she told me they would still show thru a little and warm up the over all color - I asked because I thought the color she was mixing might come out a little ashy for my skin tone. So..... I've washed it once since she colored it and I still think it's a tiny on the ashy side - it seems a bit aging.

So if I add glaze I can warm it a bit? Do I do the glaze now or wait a bit? I plan on getting the roots done in about a month..............

Old 11-22-2015, 03:20 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Yes, glazes do come in different colors; but they are really sheer. I mainly use them to tone my hair---add warm tones or cool tones. Glazes (at least the ones I use) are demi permanents and wash out in about 4 weeks on my hair.

Yes, I use them to warm up my hair. I use an ash blonde permanent color b/c lightning my hair reveals warmth. If I used a golden blond on my hair, it would read red and not blonde. However, the ash blonds are sometimes a bit too ashy. I add some warmth using a strawberry colored glaze. The glaze makes my blonde look reddish in the sun, but overall, it just appears to be a golden blonde (you don't see the red tones b/c it's so clear). Then again, I like the clear glazes, too, because I love the shine.

For medium brown hair, I'd use a brown glaze bc it will add shine and should refresh the color so it's not so ashy. I'd try something like this John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Luminous Color Glaze Ulta.com - Cosmetics, Fragrance, Salon and Beauty Gifts

I use glazes after I color and in between coloring, too. It depends on my roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care