Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 04:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times

Advertisements

I have a four-month old, and, due to the massive shedding that's common post-pregnancy due to hormonal shifts, am considering losing some length. I'm sick of long strands being left everywhere.

My hair is currently shoulderblade length, thick (even with the postpartum shedding), and naturally wavy. It's mostly one length, after about a year of growing out long layers and bangs. I would consider going back to bangs, for the right cut. I typically wash and wear, but will do a blow-out if I have the time.

Right now, what I appreciate about it being long is the ability to pull it back and out of the way, and its low-maintenance character. But it currently doesn't have much of a style, due to a year-plus of growing it out. I as a rule do not go any shorter than chin length; very short 'dos don't suit my facial shape, which is a longer oval, or my features (fairly strong, think Chelsea Peretti with a somewhat less prominent nose and fuller upper lip...similar facial shape, as well).

I don't want the cliche, "new mom," way-too short cut that's not flattering to my features and gotten on an "Oh, hell, chop it all off" whim. It also needs to be somewhat low maintenance/wash and go, since, as a full-time graduate student and mother to a small baby, time to do fussy styling is not really part of the equation. I can manage a blowdry if I must, and, when feeling fancy, smoothing the ends with an iron, whether straightening or curling. But a lot of time and products are not really my bag. In fact, other than anti-frizz gloss when it's really dry out, I don't do product at all, and am not likely to get a style that involves regular use of products. I'm looking for simple and functional, but also stylish.

Basically just looking for ideas and inspiration for a change that doesn't look cliche or matronly. Right now, my current "look" is pretty simple, but it's rather stale and not particularly stylish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 05:02 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I vote for the lob. Maybe a slightly longer version of this one

20 Lobs We Love 2015 - Best Lob Haircut Ideas

or this

20 Lobs We Love 2015 - Best Lob Haircut Ideas

I'm thinking something that plays up your thickness and waves. I would imagine your hair needs some shaping. I'd also consider using a glaze (even a clear one) just to brighten up/enhance your color. I find if my hair looks shiny/healthy, I'm less apt to chop it off.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:10 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,114 times
I agree on the lob. I've got curly/wavy hair as well, and I put a small amount of curling cream on it when wet (about a pea-sized blob), comb thru, and then twist about 1" sections around my finger and let air dry. Once dry, I can fluff it out a little. Very quick, simple and looks pulled together, and doesn't damage the hair

Old 01-29-2016, 05:12 PM

Re: the Marie Claire slide show, the length could work, but I'm not a fan of the texture in most of those. It's too "in-between" for my tastes...I'd have to go blown smooth, or completely wavy. I know it's a trend, but to me, the "undone" or "beachy" wave look, even when shown on celebs, always looks scraggly and unkempt. I don't like the clampless curling "wands," because they tend to produce this "undone" look.

Basically, the cut would just be a shorter version of what I've already got going on, so more just a trim than much of a change of pace.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I agree on the lob. I've got curly/wavy hair as well, and I put a small amount of curling cream on it when wet (about a pea-sized blob), comb thru, and then twist about 1" sections around my finger and let air dry. Once dry, I can fluff it out a little. Very quick, simple and looks pulled together, and doesn't damage the hair
I wouldn't be averse to a tiny amount of product if I could find one that didn't feel greasy, sticky, waxy, or stiff. All the ones I've tried, whether salon formula or drugstore, high end or budget, to define the waves a little better end up feeling gross, even in tiny amounts. I've come to terms with the fact that I really just cannot stand the feeling of gunk in my hair. I recognize that I'm probably more averse to this sensation than most. I don't mind some of the lighter, more absorbent of the shine serum products, like John Freida Frizz-ease serum or Garnier's oil products, but while they don't leave an aversive residue, they also don't necessarily define the waves.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:21 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,114 times
I'm using a Garnier curling cream. It's a very mild hold, but it's more to keep the curl smoother as the hair dries than to actually create the style

Old 01-29-2016, 05:23 PM

Is it this one, by chance?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8522877e0a.jpg

Old 01-29-2016, 05:43 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Re: the Marie Claire slide show, the length could work, but I'm not a fan of the texture in most of those. It's too "in-between" for my tastes...I'd have to go blown smooth, or completely wavy. I know it's a trend, but to me, the "undone" or "beachy" wave look, even when shown on celebs, always looks scraggly and unkempt. I don't like the clampless curling "wands," because they tend to produce this "undone" look.

Basically, the cut would just be a shorter version of what I've already got going on, so more just a trim than much of a change of pace.
I have wavy hair that I can easily coax into curls if I use suave professionals whipped cream mousse---of all things---and let air-dry.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:47 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
I don't much advice. It sounds to me like you would be happy with more "classic" styles so I would just feed in my needs for length and care into google and see what styles come up. "Classic" will help you avoid that "stringy" look. Probably some sort of length of the classic bob.

DO NOT use any products that have alcohol in them on your hair and many of them do. I now only use a flaxseed styling gel where needed.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:04 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
There are some cute cuts here. All of them are wavy, some are shorter then others. Mostly different variations of bobs.
20 Wavy Hairstyles: Summer Waves For Your Short Locks | PoPular Haircuts
10 Stylish Wavy Bob Hairstyles for Medium, Short Hair - PoPular Haircuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care