Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times

Advertisements

My natural hair color is (was) medium brown, but it's about 50% gray now. I would like to color it, but I want to make it a light brown/dark blonde. I would prefer to start with a semi-permanent color first though. I just need to know if there are steps I should take since I'm going with a lighter color? I don't want it to turn red on me. And what should I take into consideration since I'm covering gray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Go with ash colors - cooler colors, not warmer colors.

Until you decide to go natural, which might actually look great! You never know till you try!

Old 11-12-2018, 11:45 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I use Natural Instincts see-permanent color....It has lightened my hair a bit, as it covers the gray, (and the gray is more predominant nowadays), but doesn't really lighten your darker colors. There's no ammonia, the conditioner that comes with it is fabulous....I've been using it for about 10 years. I had light brownish hair with some blond natural sun streaks.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:02 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenton65 View Post
My natural hair color is (was) medium brown, but it's about 50% gray now. I would like to color it, but I want to make it a light brown/dark blonde. I would prefer to start with a semi-permanent color first though. I just need to know if there are steps I should take since I'm going with a lighter color? I don't want it to turn red on me. And what should I take into consideration since I'm covering gray?

True semi-permanent hair color, that is those used straight from bottle without mixing with any sort of peroxide/activator alone does not have heavy enough dye loads to make white hair "blonde".

If your grey hair is "50%" evenly dispersed around your head then a semi in medium brown (or maybe light depending upon product) will "blend" the gray (not cover) giving you light brownish highlights.

If by "50% grey" you mean your hair line or another area is totally or mostly white, while rest of head still has color; then that area is technically 90% to 100% grey which ='s white. Semi and even many demi permanent colors have a hard time covering white hair concentrated in one area. For various reasons color may take unevenly, fade rapidly and worse fade to base which can result in off tones.

Hair colors in the dark to medium brown range tend to have a blue to blue-violet base. White/grey hair will take up the exact base color applied. It is like putting paint, nail polish or any thing else with color on white paper then wiping away the excess. What you're left with is often the stain made up of base color.

However you are on the right track. You'll notice many women (and some men) of a certain age go blonder as they get older. Barbara Walters, Hillary Clinton, Jane Fonda, Oprah, Robert Redford, etc....

Blonde/lighter hair colors show grey/white hair less than brunettes and most red heads. This is mostly due to there being less contrast between hair lacking color (white/grey) and that which does (naturally or with dye).

Easiest way to do what you want is using highlights and or with careful application of a demi or permanent hair color. Both have the necessary dye loads and can be formulated with a base color that won't leave your grey/white hair with off shades, this even as the color fades (if it does at all).

If you want to experiment look for semi-permanent hair colors called "neutral" or "N Series". Things like "Medium Neutral Brown" or just "medium brown".

Old 01-12-2019, 05:27 PM

892 posts, read 484,708 times
a cider vinegar rinse can add a blonde-ish, natural looking tone.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:06 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Go to a salon and get a dark blond ash color done and then have highlights and low lights put in. The lowlights are really important to add depth to your color.

You might be able to do this yourself after watching a good hair colorist a few times.

When coloring go with ash tones & then use sulphur free shampoos & conditioners specifically for colored hair to help keep brassiness away. A gloss treatment once a month gives lots of extra shine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care