Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 03:48 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,884,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Fortunately for them, they don't have to live with it, so she should choose to do whatever she wants to with her hair, and every other decision in her life for that matter.
They don't have to live with her hair, but she may have to live with their judgments, particularly if they are people who can potentially impact her everyday life.

I wouldn't suggest the OP wear her hair long to please others, but I definitely support her coming to a random public forum just to gauge reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 07:08 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
They don't have to live with her hair, but she may have to live with their judgments, particularly if they are people who can potentially impact her everyday life.

I wouldn't suggest the OP wear her hair long to please others, but I definitely support her coming to a random public forum just to gauge reaction.
She he has to anyway. Anyone who sees her will have an opinion of her hair, whether they say anything or not. I've shaved the bottom half of my scalp to the skin for over 20 years, mostly because I have a ton of hair and it's too hot to hot for for the Houston heat. As you can tell from my pic, people can't even tell it's shaved. Even my hairdressers didn't know initially. I've had a couple of rude comments, but I went on with my life. People can be rude and nasty. How does it affect them how she chooses to dress or what she does? It doesn't unless she lets it.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:59 AM

2,524 posts, read 3,069,483 times
O.P., you mention retirement. I'm closer to your age, I think. Although I did not have hair as long as yours, I went for a short(er) style that's been nothing but easy. (I took a photo of my idol, Helen Mirren, to the stylist for a general guideline.)
My hair dryer conked a few months ago, so the only conditioner/styling product used now is a curl-enhancer. It's nice to get the bulk off my neck in hot weather!

Before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Super-short woman's cut...-longer-hair-red-glasses.jpg   Super-short woman's cut...-newmephoto.jpg  

Old 03-19-2016, 09:49 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,884,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
O.P., you mention retirement. I'm closer to your age, I think. Although I did not have hair as long as yours, I went for a short(er) style that's been nothing but easy. (I took a photo of my idol, Helen Mirren, to the stylist for a general guideline.)
My hair dryer conked a few months ago, so the only conditioner/styling product used now is a curl-enhancer. It's nice to get the bulk off my neck in hot weather!

Before and after.
I really like the shorter do--very flattering. I like your color, too.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:04 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,197,465 times
Longer hair is actually easier in some ways. If you're having a bad hair day you can always put it in a high ponytail or a French braid or a bun. Short hair is definitely not as easy as some people think it is. I have always looked better in short hair because I am petite with a tiny face and small ears (always consider your ears before going short).

I wash it, put styling product in, blow it dry with my fingers, then use spiking cream, then hair spray. It has to be washed almost every day because the product makes it go all crazy overnight. On top of that I have to cut it every 4-6 weeks at $70 a pop (with tip) because it grows fast. But I happen to think short hair on the right woman is very chic and long hair is rather boring unless you are creative and don't just wear it hanging down parted in the middle. It's also very aging.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:13 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,379,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Longer hair is actually easier in some ways. If you're having a bad hair day you can always put it in a high ponytail or a French braid or a bun. Short hair is definitely not as easy as some people think it is. I have always looked better in short hair because I am petite with a tiny face and small ears (always consider your ears before going short).

I wash it, put styling product in, blow it dry with my fingers, then use spiking cream, then hair spray. It has to be washed almost every day because the product makes it go all crazy overnight. On top of that I have to cut it every 4-6 weeks at $70 a pop (with tip) because it grows fast. But I happen to think short hair on the right woman is very chic and long hair is rather boring unless you are creative and don't just wear it hanging down parted in the middle. It's also very aging.
I agree with all of this to some extent.

My short hair is super easy to style and I only have to wash it about once every five days because I don't have to put much product in it - no gel or hair spray or creams, just a drop or two of coconut oil before I hit it with the flat iron, and if I want to get real spiky I add a bit of pomade to the ends.

I do have to cut it (and have it thinned) every five weeks but my hairdresser only charges $35 a hit.

Like you, I have small ears. CONSIDER THE EARS, HOW THEY GROW - lol. If your ears are prominent, pick a short style that doesn't bring attention to the ears.

So - my hair is super easy but that's because it's not oily - it's actually pretty dry and coarse and almost "water repellent." I call it my "pelt." So everyone's different.

I literally spend less than 3 minutes a day on my hair.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:21 AM

10,050 posts, read 6,338,800 times
I started cutting my hair short when I was 12; back then it was a "Mia Farrow" cut. Boy, did I get judged on it in junior high school! Everyone had longer hair then and through high school as well. My own mother even begged me to grow it out! I just couldn't stand the feel of it growing down my neck and still can't. However, now I have a medical justification for keeping it short, as I have to apply pain gel 4X a day to the back of my neck. So if anyone has an opinion about it, there's my ready response - not that I really needed one anyway! I've always felt like I looked my best with short hair (even though my late H didn't) and it makes me look younger as well. I've noticed that a lot of other women friends my age are cutting theirs as well, if they hadn't already. Oh, and they're all straight and married too.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:01 PM

22,648 posts, read 6,397,852 times
I think both long and short hair look good, but for myself I don't ever like
hair on my neck so I have a short, but not super short haircut...I use rollers
on the top and brush it onto the short sides and back...also have bangs.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 AM

21,630 posts, read 12,673,067 times
Either long hair or short hair is very easy to keep from creeping down your collar (shudder); it's that awkward, in-between length that isn't. At this point, the only reason I'm NOT cutting it is because it's so freakishly, uniquely long... It will be a big occasion when it finally comes off, which it will fairly soon. And it will most likely be a chin-length bob ((bo-ring), which I will then let grow out long enough to once again pull back, put up, and otherwise get off my neck. But I'd love to go wild and shave it off...

Just once in my life!

FWIW: All these women with husbands, children, and short hair who aren't mistaken for gay? Those husbands and children help considerably there...

Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,620,684 times
If you really want to go short, try it. I've done it before and it felt good. It is more work then long or even medium length hair though. It will grow back so you don't have much to lose. Do you have any pictures of the kinds of cut you're thinking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care