Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,806,179 times

Advertisements

Got a call last week from my salon saying that my hair stylist is no longer there! It took me a very long time to finally find someone who could cut my hair and I was really bummed out...unfortunately her new location is very far from where she used to work so it wouldn't really work for me to drive that far. And...

I think it is totally unprofessional for these stylists (this is not the first time this has happened) not to contact their former clientel personally to let them know they have moved, here's my new salon, appreciated your business, etc. or at least send a card. It would take one evening to make calls or send a card. I don't understand how people can be in a service industry and treat their former clients this way (we're the ones who paid their salary!). Do you think that salons won't give them this information...if so, I think they should anticipate this and keep an address book of their clients themselves, IMO. I guess they are so sure that they are going to get all kinds of new clients, they don't need the old ones.

Anybody else have this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 12:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
Happens all the time....and I hate it! Just when I find someone who really does a great job with my hair, they up and leave!
Same with cosmetics....I find a color/brand I LOVE, and they discontinue it. Very frustrating!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,759,051 times
I agree they should keep their own client list separately, as in most cases, the salon probably isn't going to give them that info and let them take their clients with them when they go.

I have the same problem, cb at sea, with finding products I love and then, poof, they're discontinued.

The most recent thing I lost was my internist. After I moved here, I paid to have all my medical records transferred to my new doctor, and now I just got a letter saying that she's left the practice. Fortunately I was able to find a new doctor in the same medical group but at a different facility. Didn't have to pay again.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:45 PM

156 posts, read 287,148 times
My sister is a professional stylist and is the only person who I could fully trust to do my hair. She moved away last summer and the moment I let someone else do it, everything went downhill from there. I had to get my hair cut drastically because people didn't know what they were doing and it ended up falling out. Fortunately she's moving back, but I only get a few months with her because now I'm moving away soon . Finding a stylist who doesn't treat your hair like a business is difficult.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:47 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,997,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Got a call last week from my salon saying that my hair stylist is no longer there! It took me a very long time to finally find someone who could cut my hair and I was really bummed out...unfortunately her new location is very far from where she used to work so it wouldn't really work for me to drive that far. And...

I think it is totally unprofessional for these stylists (this is not the first time this has happened) not to contact their former clientel personally to let them know they have moved, here's my new salon, appreciated your business, etc. or at least send a card. It would take one evening to make calls or send a card. I don't understand how people can be in a service industry and treat their former clients this way (we're the ones who paid their salary!). Do you think that salons won't give them this information...if so, I think they should anticipate this and keep an address book of their clients themselves, IMO. I guess they are so sure that they are going to get all kinds of new clients, they don't need the old ones.

Any hairdresser would be insane to not make certain their clientele knew where they were going! That is not only a common courtesy but it is just good business!

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
my wife cuts my hair so i hope my hairstylist never leaves me.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:38 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,029,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

I don't understand your post. You say that your salon called an informed you of your stylists leaving and they told you where she went and you say it's to far to drive to the new location and you say they are being unprofessional?

Are you mad because your stylists didn't contact you. Sometimes the stylists can't contact you because of a commercial interference clause but it looks like the shop not only contacted you but they told you where your stylists went and your just pissed because it's a further drive.

busta

Old 09-04-2016, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,226 times
As a professional stylist, when I left the salon I was at to work for myself, I was under contract to not contact any of my clients for a year or risk getting sued. They had a legal team that investigates stylists when they leave and pose as fake.clients to get information from you. If we.are contacted by a former client within that year it is our responsibility to tell them we can not service them for a year. Many salons are this way, it's how they can prevent stylists from coming to get training and then taking clients when they leave. It sucks but it's smart business. You sound like you're just mad, the stylist was not unprofessional,it's the nature of the salon industry

Old 09-04-2016, 08:26 AM

15,197 posts, read 10,158,323 times
Yep - I worked in a salon for years, most will never tell you were your stylist went when he/she leaves. They don't want you taking your clients with you. I tried numerous people in my area for over a year when I finally found a lady at Ulta who was the salon manager and gave me a great cut and knew how to use a razor to give me the piecey look I like in my short haircut. She was the first stylist that I returned to more than once. On my third visit I even asked her if she had any plans on leaving and was told "no, I own a house here, blah, blah, blah".

The day before my fourth appointment I get a call from somewhere there on staff telling me she isn't there because she broke her ankle. I rescheduled only to be told she was gone. I have found someone almost as good as she was but it is frustrating when this happens. Ditto for finding the perfect make-up, nail polish, etc. You find it, you love it and then you can't find it again.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:48 AM

4,407 posts, read 3,416,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristenscislsorhands View Post
As a professional stylist, when I left the salon I was at to work for myself, I was under contract to not contact any of my clients for a year or risk getting sued. They had a legal team that investigates stylists when they leave and pose as fake.clients to get information from you. If we.are contacted by a former client within that year it is our responsibility to tell them we can not service them for a year. Many salons are this way, it's how they can prevent stylists from coming to get training and then taking clients when they leave. It sucks but it's smart business. You sound like you're just mad, the stylist was not unprofessional,it's the nature of the salon industry
This.

Also, interestingly, I once had a stylist who purposely didn't inform all of his clients he was leaving because he didn't WANT all of these clients coming to him. He wanted to make a name for himself and he wasn't interested in clients who asked for certain out of date styles, or styles that didn't look good on them, or horrible hair colors, and "didn't want his name on that head."

So he left and only took a few of us with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care