U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:38 PM

95 posts, read 85,290 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has tried the dry shampoo that are on the market? I can remember in the 70s they had psssst but never had the need to try it. I used baby powder lol So do you use it? do you like the results? I have looked at all the different products that different companys make.

thank you for taking the time to answer my questions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 06:18 PM

25,739 posts, read 26,936,201 times
I have, but it's very drying to the hair. Very very very drying. Use the tiniest amount possible. Also, if you have dark hair it can leave a powdery colored residue. You can get rid of that by brushing it through but it's still a bit of a pain.

Batiste makes a brown one but it isn't a very dark brown.

I wash my hair very frequently but I CAN NOT STAND to have my hair smell AT ALL and we have many, many 100F+ days over the course of about three months here in SoCal so I'll spritz say, before going out in the evening even though I washed that morning just to freshen up.

I also spritz my kids' hair in the morning pretty often...I like them to smell nice... They bathe at night and sometimes they're a little sweaty by the morning but it's not like I'm going to have them showering twice a day or washing their hair twice a day, so I'll grab for the dry shampoo. I run around constantly deodorizing them, though, I chase them around with the deodorant stick too. Poor guys. They'll thank me when the girls come flocking in high school.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,463,405 times
I've tried it, just a small travel-size can. It works, although, I've never tried it on really oily hair... just to give a clean-up to some bedhead hair. It doesn't turn out bouncy and shiny... but it does give it a little body.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:11 AM

15,862 posts, read 33,273,236 times
I use it occasionally just to fluff up my roots. This stuff (especially in spray can) is NOT good for your hair. Lots of chemicals, and can build up on the scalp. I wash my hair every 3rd day or so, so on the last day before wash it needs a little help. My favorite is by Klorane, but that stuff is crazy expensive, so I bought a cheap one from the drugstore. The smell is a little overpowering so I spray it on while holding my nose and run out of the room! lol

It definitely helps hair look less "greasy" but it will make it a little dull looking. My hair is silver on top now so colorwise OK. Probably works best for light hair.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:12 AM

95 posts, read 85,290 times
thank you all for answering my questions yes I use it lightly and found it did leave my hair a bit more body.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 AM

3,267 posts, read 2,655,901 times
I tried it but I didn't like it. I only wash my hair every 5-7 days anyway so I didn't see the point. I like to spritz on leave-in conditioner on my hair every few days and after I wash my hair to keep it fresh. I also read that dry shampoo was making some women lose their hair since it's so drying. It doesn't sound very good for the scalp. I read that if you want to go natural there are more gentle options like arrowroot powder.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:26 PM

19,694 posts, read 5,344,204 times
My daughter told me about using dry shampoo for volume, I don't use it everday but it
does help...(I have oily hair). Suave Keratin and Tresemme for fine, oily hair are the ones
I have. Since my hair is short (but not super short) I like to use regular shampoo daily and
only use the dry for volume.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:10 AM

2,546 posts, read 1,372,077 times
I use No Drought dry shampoo from Lush. But I have tried a lot of different kinds. I am sticking with lush because I notcied the aerosal ones make my scalp itchy.
But I don't like to wash my hair daily and it gets flat/oily quickly, so the dry shampoo comes in handy at times

Last edited by crd08; 04-15-2016 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 09:24 AM

13,179 posts, read 17,982,222 times
I like it. I have really oily hair and tend to sweat around my temples. I would rather not wash my hair every single day, so dry shampoo saves me. It's even great for when I shower at night and have to refresh in the morning, especially as the weather gets warmer!

I'm still trying to find the right balance for my hair. I find Batiste leaves my dark hair very visibly powdery. I liked Amika's dry shampoo (and it smelled fantastic), but it was a little pricy. I really like L'Oreal's blowdry extender (a dry shampoo), but it seems like it's been discontinued. It gives me a lot of volume and doesn't leave a residue or build up.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:25 PM

16,379 posts, read 19,368,501 times
Try using some plain CORN STARCH from the supermarket (approx $1). Tap a small amt of the power in your palm and rub it through your fingers so you have a light coating of powder on your fingers/palm. Pat the fingers (coated in white powder of corn starch) through the dirty/oily parts of your hair. Repeat over and over to all dirty parts of your hair.

Then lightly brush or comb the hair to remove excess powder. If you put too much on you can rub through the hair with your hands. If you really put a lot of powder in your hair, simply flip your head upside down and move the hair around and the powder.

Most dry shampoos have starch and fragrance as the main ingredients. Arrowroot starch can also be used.

The above will get you 1 or 2 days extra between shampoos. Also it adds body. It's great to remove excess oil from hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or