Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:41 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times

Advertisements

I had my hair layered while I was trying to grow it long. The problem was, I had to keep having layers put in, otherwise it looked untidy as it grew.

I'm another person who doesn't particularly like going to the hairdressers. It's very expensive for what they actually do. And when you ask for a trim, they always seem to cut inches off, which annoyed me when I was trying to grow it long!

In the end, I grew the layers out and had it cut one length. But yes, long hair does tend to get dry at the ends. I always use hair masques to condition it, and use a styling product containing argan oil for the ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 02:58 PM

706 posts, read 756,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I had my hair layered while I was trying to grow it long. The problem was, I had to keep having layers put in, otherwise it looked untidy as it grew.
My hairdresser just maintains the layers she cut into my hair when she trims the dead ends.

Quote:
I'm another person who doesn't particularly like going to the hairdressers. It's very expensive for what they actually do. And when you ask for a trim, they always seem to cut inches off, which annoyed me when I was trying to grow it long!
Sounds like you need to find a good stylist you can see year after year so you can eliminate any surprises. I'm thankful to have found someone like that.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Sounds like you need to find a good stylist you can see year after year so you can eliminate any surprises. I'm thankful to have found someone like that.
Yes, you're right!

Old 07-22-2016, 01:36 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I'm right there with you. I had wanted to wait for a particular time in my life to make that dramatic change (it's past my butt, and I plan to get a short bob), but I'm not sure I can make it. I, too, am exhausted by brushing, combing, and washing it -- it's longer than my arms -- and it's always an unruly, tangled mess. The only ways I wear it is in one long braid or up in a claw and, like you, I end up with "dreads" if I try to let it go even one day. I thought it was just me; too funny!

In my case, as I say, I really wanted to wait to make a dramatic transformation and, at some point, I got curious as to how long it actually would grow (apparently endlessly). But I'm now considering setting a new "deadline" like New Year's Day because it's simply becoming unmanageable and more work than it's worth.

If all you want is "feminine," however, by all means get a layered shoulder-length cut and some dangling earrings!

Following your thread (you go first).

Old 07-23-2016, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Following your thread (you go first).
Lol.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:17 AM

466 posts, read 581,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Lol.
I love my short pixie style hair. Think positively, you will have so much more time to do all the "girly" things you don't have the time for now. Lots of women would kill to be tall and slim. I say go for it, you'll love your shoulder length hair.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
You've probably made a decision by now, but I would definitely go with a shorter cut. I had hair mid-lower back for years (well over a decade) and it was coarse and wavy and thick. I always wore it in a ponytail to keep it out of my face and manageable. I finally decided I was sick of dealing with it and why have hair I only wear one way. I cut it much shorter (shoulder length) and now I've kept it shorter, with layers. I love my hair so much more now, and I can wear it down and it's so much more manageable. It's still considered "long" by many, and I've had a ton of compliments on it.

If I were brave enough and had the bone structure, I'd cut it in a really short crew in a second. But since I'm not a fan of jewelry and don't have pierced ears, I don't think it would be as cute as I'd like to think. I think I'd look too androgynous.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
You've probably made a decision by now, but I would definitely go with a shorter cut. I had hair mid-lower back for years (well over a decade) and it was coarse and wavy and thick. I always wore it in a ponytail to keep it out of my face and manageable. I finally decided I was sick of dealing with it and why have hair I only wear one way. I cut it much shorter (shoulder length) and now I've kept it shorter, with layers. I love my hair so much more now, and I can wear it down and it's so much more manageable. It's still considered "long" by many, and I've had a ton of compliments on it.

If I were brave enough and had the bone structure, I'd cut it in a really short crew in a second. But since I'm not a fan of jewelry and don't have pierced ears, I don't think it would be as cute as I'd like to think. I think I'd look too androgynous.
I cut my hair short once because I was really sick and thought it would be easier to maintain. That was the biggest hair mistake I've ever made. My face is just not the right type for short hair. I can wear it up in a bun and look alright, which is a little strange.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Cut it off.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post

I'm the opposite to you. I had my hair shoulder length or in a shorter bob style for years, until I decided to grow it long, a few years ago. I wasn't even sure that I could grow it long, as I hadn't had long hair since I was a child!

But I was able to grow it - it was waist length at one point, but I've had some of it cut off recently. But now I've realised that I don't want shorter hair anymore, and that I'm quite attached (literally!) to my longer hair now.

My mother said that "women in their forties shouldn't have long hair". Yes, thanks mother! But it has made me think: Is there an age when long hair looks silly on a woman, or can you get away with it for as long as you wish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care