Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,175,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
wow you guys! i didn't know people went every 3-4 weeks or so!! I'm so cheap I couldn't deal with that. It's not my roots that were bad, but the ends.

I really did like it, but I'm just too darn lazy to keep it up! My color now is fine, it's about 90% back to where it used to be.

Oh well, I did enjoy my time as a redhead. It really complimented my skin tone too
The trick when going from a light color to a dark, especially red is to have your stylist use a filler first. This evens out the porosity of the hair shaft that causes the color to grab unevenly and then wash and fade out quickly. Most stylists don't seem to be educated in color enough sometimes, but using a filler really helps coat the hair shaft evenly. Also, using a protective spray before blow drying is very important. The heat from the dryer causes much of the fading. I have gone from blonde to red every couple of years but as more grey started creeping in I found being a blonde much easier to hide the grey than a darker color...less upkeep in the long run and less harsh on the face as you get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
The trick when going from a light color to a dark, especially red is to have your stylist use a filler first. This evens out the porosity of the hair shaft that causes the color to grab unevenly and then wash and fade out quickly. Most stylists don't seem to be educated in color enough sometimes, but using a filler really helps coat the hair shaft evenly. Also, using a protective spray before blow drying is very important. The heat from the dryer causes much of the fading. I have gone from blonde to red every couple of years but as more grey started creeping in I found being a blonde much easier to hide the grey than a darker color...less upkeep in the long run and less harsh on the face as you get older.
thanks puffle! i did forget to mention that she did use a filler. everyone in the salon knows me now as "the one who can't have red hair", LOL. my stylist said in all her years that she never saw hair "not take" so radically as mine. oh well, at least i got to enjoy it for a few weeks!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:40 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,108,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
and did this happen to you?

A year ago, I decided to bite the bullet and dye my hair red (I'm a natural light blonde). I thought it looked really cool, here's a pix:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...oyz4me/red.jpg

Anyway, within 2 weeks it practically ALL washed out. So, back to the hairstylist I go. This time she used permanant color (she used semi the first time). Again, maybe *3* weeks later it really washed out. The root area was still red, but the ends were blonde. While it didn't look *that* bad (it wasn't as bad as my description would lead you to believe), I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to keep the color. My stylist said my hair was extremely porous, and red was a very hard color to maintain (something about a chemical in red dye that was cancerous, and was the same chemical that made it "stick" to your hair). As she said, "when it sticks, it really sticks, and when it doesn't, there isn't much you can do".

So, slowly over the past 12 months I've been getting back to my natural color, but it's funny, I have these completely STUBBORN red streaks that won't go away! LOL It's like some strands really clung to the color and others wanted no part of it.

So, any sympathy?!
Sympathy here! The same things happens with me, although I went a little darker red than you did. Of course, mine also ended disasterously when I decided to bleach the red out myself since my blond roots were showing. FYI, don't ever do that. It's bad. Very very bad!

Maybe it's has something to do with the pigment of light blonde hair? I don't know for sure, but it is frustrating. Right now I have a mix of light red and platinum highlights and the red will have faded before Easter.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,228,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Thanks for the tip about drying. I've got a protective spray but I don't use it.

I colour mine Mahogany and it starts off really dark and red but fades to a different brownier red which I quite like and everyone says looks good, but the little greys start to show through on my parting (fortunately I don't have many yet, but they're kind of wiry so they stand out!) Someone ought to invent hair colour pens so you can touch up the odd hair without having to do the whole lot!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:34 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,418,059 times
Huh...been there too trying out the red shade (amongst all other colors in the spectrum )
My upkeep was so time consuming and costly, because it faded so fast, and turned orange-y.
My hair is naturally baby- fine, and pretty tricky to hold on to anything.
Besides, did I realize, that the red shade actually made me look much older.
My stylist told me, that everyone has certain amounts of red pigments in their hair....some have more, some have less. And, that the color red, with it's complex pigments, is the fasted color to fade.
(Put something multi colored (including the color red) in your car during the summer, let the sun hit it...and see what happens to the red color first)
I admire people which can up keep their red hair color, making it look so rich and shiny...it looks like a million bucks!
For me, it wasn't meant to be, and back to the blond I went....LOL.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:24 PM

9 posts, read 102,310 times
Red is the hardest molecule to remove from the hair and it put in the hair. When you are blonde and go to a dark color you need to fill the hair first. Quick hair lab True black hair has a blue hue to it and when you move in to a brownish color the underlining hue is red to red-orange. when you move in to ligh brown to dark blonde you have orange to yellow underlining hue. So when you get you hair colored if you go two shades lighter and are a natural med brown you are going to pull a red-orange. If you don't like that color and tell your stylist this they should use an ash to an ash blue to counter act that problem for a beautiful natural light brown to med blonde hair color. Hope that helps if you have any question about color I would love to help

thanks
Amy
Have A great hair day

Old 12-07-2009, 02:45 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,870,239 times
Yeah, I've done red a couple of times, but it's not for me. The only red shade I do like on me was Dark Auburn (reddish-brown). That was good and pretty. But I'm more into dark hair or dark blonde hair are my favorites on me (even though I prefer dark brown and have been for 6 years now).

Old 03-20-2010, 01:20 AM

182 posts, read 646,150 times
I am allergic to regular hair color, so I dye mine red with henna. It is time intensive(you have to leave it on a few hours) but there is no fading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care