Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
What you don't want to do is compliment a woman on her face lift. That's a no-no.
EEK!!! NO! Best to say something about how "refreshed" they look and ask if they have been on a great vacation to some great exotic getaway IF your going to say anything at all. But then a nice compliment like that without it LOOKING like you KNOW they had a face lift or plastic surgery could be a VERY NICE compliment. Then they would at least know "it worked".

I love how the guys will openly discuss another womans newest additions.......... men. Guy #1, "hey, we ran into so-so the other day". Guy #2, "did you notice the twins?". Guy #1, "SURE DID ! And she gave me a hug !!!!". lol, boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 AM

324 posts, read 883,364 times
I highlight my hair and I used to not like to tell people about it. Now I don't really care because I realize that it is rare that a blonde doesn't highlight her hair.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:40 AM

531 posts, read 1,743,895 times
I've been getting light brown/blonde highlights in my hair since my late teens (my hair is a boring dark brown shade) so it's kind of obvious that I color it. I think some ladies of a certain generation didn't like to admit they colored their hair ,but I think it's not a big deal nowadays.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 AM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
No. I dont do it as frequently as I used to but if someone asked, theres no reason to 'hide' it. Either others accept it or not, its that simple. Most of the time people aret gonna know unless either you say something or the roots start becoming obvious, so what either way?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:30 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I actually think the woman who overheard you (she was eaves dropping) was the rude one
I agree that she was the rude one in the situation.
I also can't understand why it wouldn't be okay to compliment someone on their new look. Maybe it is a throwback to the 50's when women were supposed to just mysteriously wake up, fully clothed in a perfectly pressed dress with pearls and makeup and not a hair out of place.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I don't hide it but I don't bring it up either. Alot of people don't have a clue I dye my hair.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,267 times
I get mine highlighted in the winter. It lightens up easily in the summertime.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Even before I colored my hair blonder, people still thought I dyed it & was lying (have naturally blondish highlights in my hair). But now that I do - why lie?
Yes, I can *so* relate to that.
When I was a little kid, people rudely asked me "are you a natural blonde?" before I even knew what the term meant!
This never really stopped.

I began seriously highlighting my hair several times a year in my 40s, and I was discreet about it, but no more. There is much less of a stigma about coloring hair now than there was when I was young.

Now I'm quite open about it but I've gone down from 4 times a year to 2 because it does lighten up in the summer, plus I am greying and don't want to bother covering that up.
I'm just tired of spending the money and there are so many other blondes out there (fake or real).

Old 03-01-2008, 11:20 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
One of these days when I have more money I am going to have mine professionally dyed so they can use a high light and a low light along with the main color of red I use. I met a woman the other day and her hair looked amazing and thats what her hair dresser does for her.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:48 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,758 times
I don't. If someone asks me what color it is, I say "Chocolate Cherry...well that's what it said on the box anyway". =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care