Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:58 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times

Advertisements

So I was at church one day and there is this lady who had obviously colored her hair. It was definitely different than the week before. It looked really good and I complimented her on it. Another lady overheard me and said, "You're not supposed to mention that!"

Huh???

I've had people notice when I color my hair, and I don't mind. I know everyone likes a compliment from time to time. So my question is, why should I not pay a compliment if it is regarding hair color. Is this some unspoken rule that I have never heard of? Or was the lady just being wierd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
I guess some people might be sensitive to it, but I don't think most are. So many people color their hair for all kinds of reasons these days, I really don't see a big deal about mentioning it.

I color mine now to cover some grey. Recently, I started using a "blonder" color than my normal light brown and several people did compliment it. Didn't bother me. Frankly, it was good to get some feedback as to what looked better on me. I guess some people might not want you to know that their hair is grey w/o coloring it. But again, people color their hair for all kinds of reasons these days.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
I went from extremely blonde to jet black. Believe me, everyone knows I color my hair! I've never hidden the fact. Not sure what the big deal would be, but some people can be sensitive I suppose. You were just trying to be nice, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Now if you did what one person said to me - "Wow, I think I liked you blonde better".....that's a different story.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I went from extremely blonde to jet black. Believe me, everyone knows I color my hair! I've never hidden the fact. Not sure what the big deal would be, but some people can be sensitive I suppose. You were just trying to be nice, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Now if you did what one person said to me - "Wow, I think I liked you blonde better".....that's a different story.
Now that would be rude!

The one I was giving the compliment to said thank you. It was someone else who told me I shouldn't have said it. This happened over a year ago, I've just wondered about it since then....and I've been a little hesitant to say anything to anyone else (except very close friends/family) regarding hair color.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
I don't know that I remember what color my REAL hair color IS...lol

I've never considered it rude to ask, or be asked (complimented, etc...)

I think everyone I know colors it at least occasionally.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:00 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Now that would be rude!

The one I was giving the compliment to said thank you. It was someone else who told me I shouldn't have said it. This happened over a year ago, I've just wondered about it since then....and I've been a little hesitant to say anything to anyone else (except very close friends/family) regarding hair color.
I actually think the woman who overheard you (she was eaves dropping) was the rude one

Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
Even before I colored my hair blonder, people still thought I dyed it & was lying (have naturally blondish highlights in my hair). But now that I do - why lie?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I don't know that I remember what color my REAL hair color IS...lol

I've never considered it rude to ask, or be asked (complimented, etc...)

I think everyone I know colors it at least occasionally.
Right there with ya on that one. I've been coloring my hair for so long now.......... at may age I could very likely have some grey hairs in there but hereditary wise I could bypass the grey stage. But my natural color is just blah. It pretty much stays the same color but w/ a lighter "summer" highlight too it. I do both highlights and lowlights and they also look at my girls haircolor and that way I look like them in that way.

I also don't mind if someone says something. I think it DOES make a woman feel good about herself if she KNOWS that someone actually NOTICED and paid them a very nice compliment. It's not like you stood up in front of everyone in the pulpit and said it. Now THAT would be a different story but just in conversation............ no problem at all. Afterall it could be just the one thing she needed to make her have a better day.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 PM

286 posts, read 1,321,892 times
Changing hair color today is just another accessory, as far as I'm concerned. I also have NO idea what my actual hair color is! I've been coloring it for so long and have gone through so many different colors, it's always a surprise to family members when they see me. It's like having a new hairstyle. I'm actually flattered if someone notices! Except when I don't keep it up...and then my son makes comments about all the white hairs! OOPS!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,226 times
It's okay to talk openly about hair color.

Most women color their hair even before they turn gray!

What you don't want to do is compliment a woman on her face lift. That's a no-no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care