Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 07:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

I use this over commercial dyes on my hair. I like making it dark red, but it takes two full applications and it has an orangish tone until it cures. It seems only to be the really light hairs which take up the brassy look. What I'm going to do is a brown first, and then seperately apply the red. Still two applications, but I'm hoping it gets me to my color sooner.

Anyone ever try this? Or should I mix them. I don't know what I'd get then. Taking a while isn't a problem, so I'm thinking the brown first would also even the tones, with grey, blond and the residual reds from last time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 01:58 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
If it takes 2 applications, the henna you are using doesn't have a strong enough dye content. I use Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Twilight from mehandi.com, which has a 2.8 dye content. I get auburn from putting it over my naturally blonde roots (I do full-head applications every 5-7 weeks).

Henna will always have an orange cast until it oxidizes, assuming you are using pure BAQ henna, and not the cheap garbage that too often has adulterants added to it. Even a high dye content henna like Twilight does that.

So what are you doing? Putting henna over a brown commercial dye? I would ditch the dye entirely and just use a high dye content henna like Twilight. It is expensive stuff, as you can see from the prices on the link I posted, but it is also certified pure by an independent lab, so you don't have to worry about adulterants. I've been using this brand of henna for 7 years myself.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If it takes 2 applications, the henna you are using doesn't have a strong enough dye content. I use Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Twilight from mehandi.com, which has a 2.8 dye content. I get auburn from putting it over my naturally blonde roots (I do full-head applications every 5-7 weeks).

Henna will always have an orange cast until it oxidizes, assuming you are using pure BAQ henna, and not the cheap garbage that too often has adulterants added to it. Even a high dye content henna like Twilight does that.

So what are you doing? Putting henna over a brown commercial dye? I would ditch the dye entirely and just use a high dye content henna like Twilight. It is expensive stuff, as you can see from the prices on the link I posted, but it is also certified pure by an independent lab, so you don't have to worry about adulterants. I've been using this brand of henna for 7 years myself.
The henna is a pure product, but I like it to be dark red. The older hairs and the new mostly grey take on different colors. Usually I apply it twice as well. The other huge benefit I've found is my very fine and breakable hair is *much* stronger and when its not pale colored looks like there's a lot more.

The brown is also henna. I'm thinking if it darkened the really light hair the red would look more even.

I trimmed it quite a lot a few months ago to even it off as it was breaking off so its also shorter than usual.

I've always had 'baby fine' hair and henna is the only product I can use to color it which doesn't just damage it so much it splinters a lot. And once a commercial variety turned out purple instead of red. Interesting but....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care