Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:07 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times

Advertisements

All hair is different.....some won't "shine" no matter what you do...so just wear a style that compliments you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 12:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Well I have a different hair texture than you, but one thing that made my hair the absolute shiniest, is this hair oil.

Natural conditioner and treatment for all hair types. - Weleda.com

It is generally available at target.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:11 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Mane & Tail.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 AM

466 posts, read 581,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Apple cider vinegar and rinse with cold, cold water. Then pour one or two drops of argon oil in the palm of your hand and rub it through your hair while it's still wet.

Shine, shine, shine. (As you can see, my hair is very dry and coarse - but it's shining!)
My hair is very similar to KathrynAragon's, coarse & quite thick. I use Pro-naturals Moroccan argan oil, a couple of drops smoothed between palms and applied to damp/wettish hair, leave hair to air dry until almost dry then finish off blow drying with a brush just curling under the ends. I use a professional standard dryer - Karmin Salon Series on a cool setting.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:33 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,306 times
I have used Infusium leave in conditioner for years, and I believe it's because of that, that makes my hair healthier and shiny. When I use the ceramic plated flat irons, it looks even more "Pantene commercial" shiny. Prior to Infusium, my hair was damaged and had a lot of split ends.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm always envious of people who have or are even able to make their hair shiny.

My hair is always stubbornly dull and blah -- even though it's naturally straight-ish and black (in colour).

Here's an example of what I mean:
https://fairytalesandcoffee.files.wo.../old-hair1.jpg

That's not me, but imagine that with straighter hair and no colouring on it.

I have that hair. The hairdressers get it shiny. I don't.

Three options:

- have it straightened (Brazilian). I did that once, it lasted 8 months. Very nice.
- use a flat iron/curling (I am too lazy but it works)
- embrace it (that's what I do). It looks semi curly/wild most of the time. I wash my hair, air dry it. Sometimes I braid it a little to deepen the wildness once they are dried that way.

Use moisturizer and masks.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
You can have these done at a salon or do it yourself--
Hair gloss it's an ammonia base, permanent treatment lasts few weeks.
Hair glaze it's a temporary. I use a clear one from John Freida if I want lots of shine.

A quick hair treatment is a pea sized amount of unscented coconut oil rubbed between hands applied to ends & any dry areas.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
Agree with the gloss/glaze. I like Sebastian Cellophane Clear.

I don't know what shampoo and conditioner you are using but you probably need to change products or wash at least 2x a week.

If you try silicone oil or a spray you use only a very small amount. Otherwise, it will build-up and flatten/dull your hair.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:07 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
It might have a build up from shampoos and conditioners. I was told to use Woolite and used it for quite a long time. Made my hair silky while stripping off all the junk from products. I still use it a couple times a year to clear my hair. Try it.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
One thing that really brings out the shine in my coarse, thick, dry hair is rinsing it with vinegar about once a month. DO NOT RINSE IT OUT - your hair will not smell like vinegar after it's dried. Shampoo as usual and then pour about a cup of vinegar through your hair after you rinse the shampoo out. Leave it in and towel dry your hair.

Give this a try. Wow, it really makes my hair shiny and soft.

I just realized I repeated myself from a few weeks ago but it bears repeating - LOL.

Oh, and argan oil to finish it off. Just a touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care