Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:19 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times

Advertisements

I noticed that many, if not most, men with long hair in the 60s and 70s had layered styles. Gram Parsons is a good example of this.

But now I rarely see men with long hair wear bangs, they usually keep an even length (which I think looks better).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,465 times
I kinda miss longer hair on men...I guess the collar-length layered look from the 80s is my favorite, and I actually really like the shaved head look that is popular now...it sure beats the inevitable comb-overs of the past. But I think the bangs were just part of the look of that time, and not all guys had them...

Old 03-06-2017, 03:54 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I kinda miss longer hair on men...I guess the collar-length layered look from the 80s is my favorite, and I actually really like the shaved head look that is popular now...it sure beats the inevitable comb-overs of the past. But I think the bangs were just part of the look of that time, and not all guys had them...
I was a young man in this era in NYC, and I cannot recall one single guy who had bangs. One thing that made the "Brit Invasion" performers seem strange was that they did have bangs, that bizarre Mamie Eisenhower look. The Beatles original look was snickered at if you were not a teenage female.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:48 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I was a young man in this era in NYC, and I cannot recall one single guy who had bangs. One thing that made the "Brit Invasion" performers seem strange was that they did have bangs, that bizarre Mamie Eisenhower look. The Beatles original look was snickered at if you were not a teenage female.
I agree with this although I will say that the bangs may have been the precursor to the metrosexual look (just guessing as I really don't know). But here's a look back which shows a bit of everything; at that time my husband's hair was layered, straight, and just past the collar (he worked in an industry that did not allow hair to be any longer than that; safety reasons.)

Men's 1970s Hairstyles: An Overview - Hair and Makeup Artist Handbook

Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I agree with this although I will say that the bangs may have been the precursor to the metrosexual look (just guessing as I really don't know). But here's a look back which shows a bit of everything; at that time my husband's hair was layered, straight, and just past the collar (he worked in an industry that did not allow hair to be any longer than that; safety reasons.)

Men's 1970s Hairstyles: An Overview - Hair and Makeup Artist Handbook
That hairstyle page is pretty good. AFAIC, it only has one style that, in my book, is in error - the surfer look - otherwise its good. I was also there, in that time, and my high school senior photo was with long hair. That was just after the "Summer of Love" and just before Woodstock. So it was still pretty uncommon.

Odd as it might sound, I think we regarded single length long hair as a "girl" style. Even though many people regarded OUR long hair as a "girl" style. We didn't often have bangs, though, so much as the hair in front was just cut a bit shorter than the sides and back. And it was typically combed to the side, so you would get some coverage in front, but it wouldn't be in your eyes. To my mind, bangs are the hair cut in front so that they are NOT combed to one side or the other.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
It sounds like you're describing the shag hairstyle, like David Cassidy wore. Bangs were a big part of that.

For women, bangs were a big thing in the 80s, and had died out of favor until recently. Hipster men are more apt to have facial hair and a center part (no bangs) if they have long hair these days.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Bangs were pretty popular in the 60's and 70's but they were replaced by mullets in the 80's by men who liked to wear their bangs in the back.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:53 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
That hairstyle page is pretty good. AFAIC, it only has one style that, in my book, is in error - the surfer look - otherwise its good. I was also there, in that time, and my high school senior photo was with long hair. That was just after the "Summer of Love" and just before Woodstock. So it was still pretty uncommon.

Odd as it might sound, I think we regarded single length long hair as a "girl" style. Even though many people regarded OUR long hair as a "girl" style. We didn't often have bangs, though, so much as the hair in front was just cut a bit shorter than the sides and back. And it was typically combed to the side, so you would get some coverage in front, but it wouldn't be in your eyes. To my mind, bangs are the hair cut in front so that they are NOT combed to one side or the other.
I think it's still considered bangs even if you sweep them to the side.

I think the reason the layered hair for long haired men was popular wss because it kept hair out of your face to an extent, and ponytails might have been seen as too feminine at the time.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Side-swept bangs are still bangs, as any stylist will tell you.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,463,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I noticed that many, if not most, men with long hair in the 60s and 70s had layered styles. Gram Parsons is a good example of this.

But now I rarely see men with long hair wear bangs, they usually keep an even length (which I think looks better).

My wife has been wanting me to grow my hair out, and I've been patiently working through the awkward stage. That being said, there's no way she would let me do the long hair/bangs thing. She's envisioning something like this:

Now, back in the 80's, I wore the mullet. I loved it because it was an easy hair style even though it was a long hair style. Of course I always tried my best to look like this:

But really, I wound up looking more like this:

Complete with the mustache, LOL!!!

So, yeah, this is probably why you don't see guys wearing long hair and bangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care