Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
You are twisting around what I said or simply didn't comprehend it correctly. As I stated I don't have a problem with them expanding their marketing or consumer base however it is very strange to be a Black owned establishment and not have a Black person working in your corporation.

It's actually considered racial discrimination to not have a culturally diverse workplace at any company.
Racial diverse or cultural diverse? Two different things.

In any case, there is no law against it.

The standard is for the company to select the best qualified applicants using a fair selection system. How many black people work there? Do you have access to this data to share with everyone? How many black applicants for the jobs there?

You are assuming discrimination occurred when you most likely have no access to the hiring data. By stating it is discrimination because there are no blacks, you are now the one being discriminatory by assuming the non-blacks were hired due to their race, and not by their qualifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 12:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,621 times
If I like something, I'll continue to use it, regardless of the political of social things they do.

I disagree with the overly-PC things that large companies like Target do, but I like Target and will continue to go there.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:13 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,529 times
[quote=Shysister;47966738]The internet has been going crazy over Shea Moisture commercial excluding Black dark tone women with Kinky hair in their commercial. I didn't catch the commercial but saw it and the responses on-line but it wasn't the commercial that really made me side eye Shea Moisture but the release of their board of directors and there is not a Black woman on the leadership team. Which I find very odd for a company that's Black owned and built it's empire soliciting to Black women. I do use a few of the products however I won't anymore because it's very disturbing that their company culture excludes people of color.[/QUOTE

Why your first thought was that black people were being " excluded"? Maybe this black owned company selects the Board Members based on their merit/ qualifications?
You sound racist. To stop being racist is to stop noticing people skin color- for everyone.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:17 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,306 times
Did anyone think they're trying to market beyond or expand their general audience? GMC (while not black owned) knows Blacks will buy their Cadillacs, yet will feature White drivers; and they also feature younger drivers in Buicks when it was always a popular brand among the elderly.

Neither company is banning Blacks from continuing to purchase their products. There's still free will.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
I don't watch TV and haven't seen the commercial, but I have been to their website and there are people of color all over it. I have bought the products and had no idea they were supposed to be for Black people only? I guess I'm a little confused as to why anyone would be upset. Their facebook page also has photos of all different shades of skin and hair types, too.

https://www.facebook.com/SheaMoisture/

https://twitter.com/SheaMoisture?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://www.sheamoisture.com/?SID=ev...18bvq7ea7e9771

So I guess the answer would be, no, I'm not boycotting the brand. I like their products.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It was shockingly tone-deaf of them to have only one black woman in their commercial when they have traditionally catered to black women - a typically overlooked portion of the population in products and marketing. Black women caused that company to thrive.

Look, I'm white, and I've been using Shea Moisture products on my hair for the past decade. I have hair that is thick, curly and kinky. The thing is, I'm a white woman - I don't really need to be appealed to or catered to. The world already does that to a certain degree. But from just a marketing standpoint rather than one of respect for their customer base, my hair is not your typical white-girl hair, and frankly, you're not going to sell me on a hair product by featuring a lot of white women in your commercials. Hair products geared at white women have been failing me for most of my 40 years.

It was a terrible marketing decision on their part. I don't think there's any point in boycotting them - I think they've learned their lesson. But how stupid are the executives who approved this commercial?
Exactly! That's the whole point and had they had a Black woman in a leadership position, there is no way that commercial would have seen the light of day. It has nothing to do with the commercial itself but the reflection of what the commercial demonstrates behind the scenes.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 5,425 times
Boohoo you blacks won everything. ..damn

Old 05-07-2017, 08:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Yes the Black community is very upset and I agree that Shea Moisture recent business practices has targeted to exclude their presence from their consumer base. The commercial they released didn't have the Black woman prototype that they originally started out marketing too and it is indeed a slap in the face to them.

I don't see an issue with them expanding their marketing but to bluntly exclude the demographic that you built your brand on is pathetic and to not have any POC in your boardroom certainty adds insult to injury. I initially loved the brand and what it stood for but I can't support what it's turned into now.
Yup I am boycotting. I'll use up what I have now and replace with another brand.

I have no problem if they want to market to other demographics, they launched it all wrong.

And the ads tone was all wrong. I can't believe a girl with barely wavy blond hair really faces "hair hate."

It felt tone death and a slap in the the face for all of the "kinky haired" women who gave them enough clout to get acquired.

I hadn't check out the board of directors, but that is horrible there is no diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care