Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:43 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times

Advertisements

The internet has been going crazy over Shea Moisture commercial excluding Black dark tone women with Kinky hair in their commercial. I didn't catch the commercial but saw it and the responses on-line but it wasn't the commercial that really made me side eye Shea Moisture but the release of their board of directors and there is not a Black woman on the leadership team. Which I find very odd for a company that's Black owned and built it's empire soliciting to Black women. I do use a few of the products however I won't anymore because it's very disturbing that their company culture excludes people of color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I have used Shea Moisture chamomile, argan oil, and shea butter ointment and other skin products on my baby since birth, when I was given a bunch of gift sets at a shower. We aren't black, and I didn't have any familiarity with the brand prior to being gifted it. I also wasnt aware of any controversy prior to reading this thread.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 PM

Yes the Black community is very upset and I agree that Shea Moisture recent business practices has targeted to exclude their presence from their consumer base. The commercial they released didn't have the Black woman prototype that they originally started out marketing too and it is indeed a slap in the face to them.

I don't see an issue with them expanding their marketing but to bluntly exclude the demographic that you built your brand on is pathetic and to not have any POC in your boardroom certainty adds insult to injury. I initially loved the brand and what it stood for but I can't support what it's turned into now.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
I bought some shampoo and conditioner from that company. I won't be buying it again because it doesn't seem to work well on my hair. Perhaps their plan will backfire because the product doesn't work well for all hair types. They will get one and done business like mine but lose their valuable base due to politics. Too bad for the clientele who benefit from the formulation they sell.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Never used it. It's too overpriced. I have used the Cantu brand.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
The internet has been going crazy over Shea Moisture commercial excluding Black dark tone women with Kinky hair in their commercial. I didn't catch the commercial but saw it and the responses on-line but it wasn't the commercial that really made me side eye Shea Moisture but the release of their board of directors and there is not a Black woman on the leadership team. Which I find very odd for a company that's Black owned and built it's empire soliciting to Black women. I do use a few of the products however I won't anymore because it's very disturbing that their company culture excludes people of color.
I have no idea about new commercials or any of that stuff, but I used to make an awesome shea/mango/cocoa butter lotion. I had many black customers. I'm as white as the driven snow. My black customers said my lotion was the only stuff that didn't make them ashy. They were smart enough to not give a rip that I was white and didn't have a clue what ashy skin was.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:21 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
So, non-blacks are not allowed to use their products? The company is not allowed to advertise to non-blacks or something?

How many people are on the board? It is not like it is a large company or anything, and the head of it is black. I think it is a bit racist to assume the non-blacks there were not the best qualified for the position, you have not reviewed their hiring records or anything.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, non-blacks are not allowed to use their products? The company is not allowed to advertise to non-blacks or something?

How many people are on the board? It is not like it is a large company or anything, and the head of it is black. I think it is a bit racist to assume the non-blacks there were not the best qualified for the position, you have not reviewed their hiring records or anything.
You are twisting around what I said or simply didn't comprehend it correctly. As I stated I don't have a problem with them expanding their marketing or consumer base however it is very strange to be a Black owned establishment and not have a Black person working in your corporation.

It's actually considered racial discrimination to not have a culturally diverse workplace at any company.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I have no idea about new commercials or any of that stuff, but I used to make an awesome shea/mango/cocoa butter lotion. I had many black customers. I'm as white as the driven snow. My black customers said my lotion was the only stuff that didn't make them ashy. They were smart enough to not give a rip that I was white and didn't have a clue what ashy skin was.
The issue is not who they're selling their products too but the fact that the company doesn't enforce a culturally diverse workplace. This is a much bigger and problematic issue than simply the race of someone who's buying their shampoo. However I understand if you don't get it.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
It was shockingly tone-deaf of them to have only one black woman in their commercial when they have traditionally catered to black women - a typically overlooked portion of the population in products and marketing. Black women caused that company to thrive.

Look, I'm white, and I've been using Shea Moisture products on my hair for the past decade. I have hair that is thick, curly and kinky. The thing is, I'm a white woman - I don't really need to be appealed to or catered to. The world already does that to a certain degree. But from just a marketing standpoint rather than one of respect for their customer base, my hair is not your typical white-girl hair, and frankly, you're not going to sell me on a hair product by featuring a lot of white women in your commercials. Hair products geared at white women have been failing me for most of my 40 years.

It was a terrible marketing decision on their part. I don't think there's any point in boycotting them - I think they've learned their lesson. But how stupid are the executives who approved this commercial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care