Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 07:01 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times

Advertisements

My thin naturally curly white lady hair is all gray now..
When I say thin hair, I mean the thickness and weight of each individual strand of hair. I have the opposite of a "thick head of hair". It is shoulder length when wet, but its not that much hair so the word fullness would never be associated with my locks. Rather, one would say "you don't have much".

You cannot see my scalp in a beam of sunlight..its not that thin.

If I put it into a pony tail with thickening product and styling gel the circumference might be the size of a nickel, without product, a dime size.

The hairs are very lightweight, and it grows eekingly slow, and if I didn't wash my hair for a month it would never look greasy..it would look awful but it wouldn't look oily. Tends to be dryish, but not excessively.

In the summer it will go into ringlets, because of heat and humidity.
I used the hair drying brush maybe 6 times all winter.

Products that contain sodium laureth/laurel do not touch my hair, nor do glycerin products in attempts to keep the hair from anything harsh or drying.

I'm thinking about having my hair colored to a light-medium brown with lighter highlights.

Here's the question in 2 parts:

Should I presume a colorist will treat my hair differently (with more care and caution) because its of a thinner, lighter weight (I think of it as more fragile)..Do they leave coloring chemicals in as long as the manufacturer says to, or are there products specifically for my hair type??

In your honest opinion do you think I will be ruining my hair by having it colored, since chemicals are harsh?
(over time)

I don't want to have to cut it into a short, neat style as a result of dry hay after six months. Short hair looks very unbecoming on me and my body.

I have been depressed for a few months and often times "change is good" and uplifting.. but don't want to do something stupid.
Stupid would be not heeding a professionals advice.

So if you're a licenced colorist who knows what angst I am facing I welcome your understanding,honesty, and your insightful advice.
please & thank you.

Last edited by tidaldream; 05-28-2017 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 03:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Tell your stylist about your concerns. They should know to adjust the amount of processing time for your hair type.

You could also ask for a strand test where they take a small snip of your hair and process it as they normally would so you can see the results ahead of time.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:02 PM

Elle, thank you.. I will have to first find a stylist. I wouldn't even know a good one from a questionable one.

I don't get hair cuts because my hair doesn't really grow. Maybe once a year I cut an inch off..
I divide my hair with a part down the middle, comb one half, and one snip is all it takes to cut half my hair, then repeat on the other side.

My hair is naturally curly, so a little hair thickening dab on damp, clean hair, then it curls up, and I am done.

Guess I will have to ask around for a stylist.. I'll begin to ask others with curly hair.
Thanks Elle, and send a hug to your chihuahua for me.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:57 AM

If you see someone out in public with great looking hair, ask who their stylist is! People are usually happy to share info like that. Good luck!

Last edited by ElleTea; 06-05-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-03-2017, 10:45 AM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
OP, sounds like we have the same hair! I go to a curly-head Deva-certified stylist and she's the bomb. She's very sensitive about my thin hair, curly and treats it accordingly. For years she colored my hair using a low peroxide/vegetable dye Schwatzkopf professional permanent hair color product. Now that I'm getting grayer, I've backed off overall color in favor of seeing how the gray looks as it fills in. Reality is that in the last year or two the gray would appear at the roots a week or so after a full coloring. Now my stylist on colors my hair strategically to minimize the demarcation between my dark/previously colored strands and the new/existing gray areas.

Overall, no-sulfate products and regular coloring made my hair healthier.

All this said, I would caution you that with existing gray hair, full color will be constant upkeep. One possibility is for you to try a demi-permanant color first to get an idea of the overall appearance. No commitment as it'll wash out over time. From there you can judge if you want to go permanent.

As you know, thin, curly hair requires soecial handling. Really do your research for qualified, understanding, capable stylists that specialize in your hair type and how coloring fits in overall. Such stylists are out there. You could start by searching the Naturally Curly website's salon finder at https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlsalons.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Once you find a colorist, go for lowlights & a few highlights to add dimension. Do not go the whole head colored routine unless you want that commitment.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:29 AM

Thanks everyone!

I have to be very guarded when it somes to my slow growing hair.
A mistake is unforgiving in comparison to thick, lush, quick growing hair, so your advice is on target.
I will now be doing the homework.

Than you, thank you, thank you!!!

Old 06-05-2017, 08:38 AM

The plus of having slow growing hair is the upkeep is much less often!

Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I'll second all of the great advice in this thread, plus don't skip the strand test! I didn't like the results of mine, and I'm glad that I went with mostly low-lights, instead of 100% coverage.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The plus of having slow growing hair is the upkeep is much less often!
Yes, you are right.. there's rarely anything I must do other than keep it from getting dry.

The grass is always greener. I always wished I could have hair that was thick and long and that meant I could get it cut into a style.
My daughter in law calls my curls "hippie hair".. Its fine for casual, but looks out of place when I dress up (on rare occasion) with linen and pearls and hippie hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care