U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:20 PM

3,682 posts, read 2,134,817 times

Advertisements

I started experimenting with color in it from the time I was 12 and tried that Sun-In product that was supposed to lighten it.

I've had it:

White
Light blonde
Dark blonde
Various shades of brown, light to darkest
Brown w/ blonde streaks
Jet black
Black w/ burgundy highlights
Purple
Green
Blue
Auburn
Rose Gold

I've had it 1/2" long to 3 feet long.

I have lost track of how many times I've colored it over the years.

It's currently light reddish brown (natural color) but gets colored at the roots every couple of weeks to cover the greys.

I'm thinking of dyeing it violet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 01:45 PM

34,820 posts, read 32,785,982 times
I lost track a couple decades ago. I dye mine every 4-6 weeks, basically. I started doing it regularly in high school.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 PM

34,820 posts, read 32,785,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I started experimenting with color in it from the time I was 12 and tried that Sun-In product that was supposed to lighten it.

I've had it:

White
Light blonde
Dark blonde
Various shades of brown, light to darkest
Brown w/ blonde streaks
Jet black
Black w/ burgundy highlights
Purple
Green
Blue
Auburn
Rose Gold

I've had it 1/2" long to 3 feet long.

I have lost track of how many times I've colored it over the years.

It's currently light reddish brown (natural color) but gets colored at the roots every couple of weeks to cover the greys.

I'm thinking of dyeing it violet.
I love violet. Mine is vivid auburn and purple right now.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,587,141 times
For a long time since the grays starting coming in. I get a touch up every 6 weeks it's blonde with some low lights.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 PM

27,089 posts, read 8,738,257 times
Never.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:33 PM

4,834 posts, read 2,610,462 times
I've lost count. I started as a teen, too, with Sun-In. Then tried a red wash because I really always wanted red hair and had mousy brown with blond tones. Now I have ashy brown and it makes me look dead. I've used henna for at least 20 years and love the warmth of that red tone when I get it just right, like coming back to life. I feel younger and happier for a few minutes. Or a few days, depending on how much I let it grow out. I like to check every now and then what color is actually is. When i go all silver, I'm done with the henna.

I half think I may get a pixie cut then and go wild with pastels. Leopard spots, tiger stripes, blue, purple, every combination. I plan to age disgracefully.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 PM

29,398 posts, read 20,105,047 times
I colored my dark blonde hair for several years in my twenties, and never since then. I once fired a stylist who repeatedly urged me to color my hair, when I had said I did not want to.

I made the decision to be natural so long ago, I don't remember why. But I made the decision not to cover my gray, or go blonder, in my late forties.

I am now going gray. One of these days I'll post about this shampoo I am trying for white hair. I really like it. I am waiting to hear what my stylist says, or if she notices anything different.

I know many women my age and younger who color their hair. It was more the norm where I used to live than it is here.

I figure I've saved us thousands of dollars over time because I did not color my hair.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 PM

8,892 posts, read 4,351,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Omg; that's what I used for the 1st time ... when I was 14, it gave me orangey stripes... not what I was hoping for at all!

I shouldn't even have any hair left with everything I've done to it. Mine has always been long & it's a natural ash brown. I had to do it myself because people always thought I'd look good with the warm tone blondes & I don't. Any warm tones on me look brassy & even orange.

I've bleached my hair until the ends liquified into a goo ( totally serious) & I still can't get it past a yellow to platinum. My mom used call it my "chemically dependent hair".

Old 10-03-2017, 09:34 AM

9,441 posts, read 10,923,906 times
HA! I did the Sun-In thing, too! It turned my very dark brown hair orange. I thought it was blonde

My first haircolor experiment was when I was about 11. I asked my mom to buy me a highlighting kit and I did it myself. I've been nearly every color you can think of since then, even a very light blonde which I never got used to (I am a brunette to the core)! I see hair as an accessory you wear every day, so why wouldn't you want to change it now and then?

Old 10-07-2017, 12:59 PM

173 posts, read 141,435 times
0, never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care