Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 06:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times

Advertisements

Garnier Nutrisse. It comes with a tube of condioner. My hair is shiny, no issue there. Also, I have long hair with no damage or breakage from coloring. You can use half of it if only doing root touch-up. It does pretty good gray coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 07:52 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I've been using box colors for decades. It looked really good and natural. I rec'd some unsolicited compliments on it over the years, even from strangers.

But what I was using has been discontinued, which is my dilemma.

I've seen so many acquaintances ruin their hair by professional dying at a salon that I decided years ago not to do that. I believe the salon mixes are stronger, and that is the problem. The box colors are weaker, so that idiots like ME can use them. I don't know that for sure. It's just a guess.

I stick close to my natural color, but a bit lighter. Then I do ONLY the roots every few weeks, and try to blend it down the length of the hair in the last few minutes...and streak it in so that it looks like highlights. Seems to work. Or at least it did until my color was discontinued.

I'm trying Nice n'Easy, now. It's okay. But my hair is not as shiny. I may try something else.

That's what my hairdresser has always suggested because, he says, the ends are always more porous. I use the Colorsilk strictly for root touchup, though, and don't even bother adding any to the ends--that's been working for me.

Years ago, he asked what I used. When I told him, he said that it looked great, and that Colorsilk is very gentle on hair.

I hope they never discontinue it.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:41 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That's what my hairdresser has always suggested because, he says, the ends are always more porous. I use the Colorsilk strictly for root touchup, though, and don't even bother adding any to the ends--that's been working for me.

Years ago, he asked what I used. When I told him, he said that it looked great, and that Colorsilk is very gentle on hair.

I hope they never discontinue it.
I was going to try Colorsilk, but in reading up on it, I saw that it does not have ammonia or peroxide (whatever the lightening ingredient is). So it deposits color, but won't lighten. My natural color is med or med-dark brown. I lighten it to light or light-med brown. Seems more flattering to my aging face/skin.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
I was going to try Colorsilk, but in reading up on it, I saw that it does not have ammonia or peroxide (whatever the lightening ingredient is). So it deposits color, but won't lighten. My natural color is med or med-dark brown. I lighten it to light or light-med brown. Seems more flattering to my aging face/skin.

You're right. That's why it doesn't smell lol--and why it's great for covering gray. But it doesn't lighten hair.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:03 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I get natural highlight by swimming daily. But I use dark brown by Paul Mitchell.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
I've been using box colors for decades. It looked really good and natural. I rec'd some unsolicited compliments on it over the years, even from strangers.

But what I was using has been discontinued, which is my dilemma.

I've seen so many acquaintances ruin their hair by professional dying at a salon that I decided years ago not to do that. I believe the salon mixes are stronger, and that is the problem. The box colors are weaker, so that idiots like ME can use them. I don't know that for sure. It's just a guess.

I stick close to my natural color, but a bit lighter. Then I do ONLY the roots every few weeks, and try to blend it down the length of the hair in the last few minutes...and streak it in so that it looks like highlights. Seems to work. Or at least it did until my color was discontinued.

I'm trying Nice n'Easy, now. It's okay. But my hair is not as shiny. I may try something else.
John Frieda Precision Foam. I have very gray roots, almost white, so I need frequent touch-ups. The problem I have with most colors is that it's very hard to do just the roots, and as you probably know, if you color the full length of your hair too often, you will end up with dark ends. On the other hand, if you are too careful, you get uneven application and patchy color. The foam makes it very easy to do the roots only for most of the processing time, and then add color to the lengths for the remaining minutes. It simply does not run or drip. I strayed from this brand for a while, because I wanted red hair, and they no longer make red dye. I gave up on the red, but still experimented with some other brands. Just went back to my John Frieda, and now have the most even color I've enjoyed in many months. The roots are exactly the same shade as the tips, and my hair is well past shoulder length.

They also make complimentary shampoos and glosses to keep the color fresh. Some of the shampoos also bring out the highlights in your hair.

Sorry that sounds like an ad, but their products really are that good.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:56 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,191 times
Quote:
Is it giving any shine to your hair? I'm trying Nice N'Easy, and while the color is fine, my hair is not as shiny or healthy looking. It's not damaged. Just not shiny, which my fine hair naturally is.
Well, my Nice n Easy isnt working as well as it used too!
It's not covering my gray as long, like it once did.

There are areas in front where my part is, and the color just wont last. I even left it on 5 mins longer, by putting it on that spot first, and still didnt work that great. The gray is back in that spot.

Time to maybe look for something else too.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 11,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
I love Matrix SoColor. I get it at Amazon or BeautyOfNY.com

I blend two colors to get a unique shade. I use #10 developer (not #20) and leave it on for 35 min, not the usual 20.
Will this work on white hair? I've read you should use #20 developer for white hair and I'd rather use #10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care