Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 02:42 PM

19,413 posts, read 12,059,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I cut my hair ever shorter the older I got. Coping with long hair became an onerous task. But I’ve had my hair shorter for many years now. My last growout was just a few years ago, and it did not go well. Too much trouble. I did like pulling it back into a ponytail, but I decided it was not a good look for me at my age.

If I were just 10 years younger, I think I would have felt pressure to maintain my long hair. Women keep long hair now, as a badge of youth and glamour, well into their middle age.

If you cut your hair, just know that it does grow back.
I feel like women's hair now is often attached to a message. It used to be just what hairstyle looks good on you. I was reading about how putting your hair up for work buys into the patriarchy or something like that. Hmmm.

Also noticed when young women and girls cut their long hair short it is REALLY short and often attached to a feminist message. I seldom see medium length hairstyles on women now. I guess that would be the message of mediocrity? Medium, shoulder length is my favorite but some people now refer to that as short.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,543,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

I feel like women's hair now is often attached to a message.
A good number of women who prefer women as partners (or as dates) express this with a certain haircut. As demonstrated through the decades and today. Though haircuts of women who prefer women have branched out and expanded a bit.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-17-2018 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-17-2018, 06:45 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,388,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
A good number of women who prefer women as partnTaers (or as dates) express this with a certain haircut. As demonstrated through the decades and today. Though haircuts of women who prefer women have branched out and expanded a bit.
I guess people can send messages any way they like to the world, but all I know is this - short hair doesn't necessarily look unfeminine or "butch." That look hinges on more than just a hair style.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM

1,347 posts, read 937,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
A good number of women who prefer women as partners (or as dates) express this with a certain haircut. As demonstrated through the decades and today. Though haircuts of women who prefer women have branched out and expanded a bit.
Which haircut, exactly?

Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,981,591 times
Quote:
I feel like women's hair now is often attached to a message. It used to be just what hairstyle looks good on you. I was reading about how putting your hair up for work buys into the patriarchy or something like that. Hmmm.

Also noticed when young women and girls cut their long hair short it is REALLY short and often attached to a feminist message. I seldom see medium length hairstyles on women now. I guess that would be the message of mediocrity? Medium, shoulder length is my favorite but some people now refer to that as short.
You raise interesting points. But the vast majority of women cut or grow out for personal reasons, not as a statement of some sort. I guess an exception to this is the middle aged woman who cuts her hair short and dies it blue. For her, I think it is a statement.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:

I feel like women's hair now is often attached to a message. It used to be just what hairstyle looks good on you.

Also noticed when young women and girls cut their long hair short it is REALLY short and often attached to a feminist message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

But the vast majority of women cut or grow out for personal reasons, not as a statement of some sort.
I disagree that "the vast majority of women cut or grow out their hair for personal reasons."

Just the opposite, in fact - the majority of women make statements and send signals to others about themselves very frequently with the cut and style which they chose.

Some older women who have given up on trying to look good or who no longer care how they look will get a very short, unstylish, utilitarian, plain, even manly cut and style.

Young women will keep their hair long because it often enhances their beauty and attractiveness.

Young mothers and sometimes housewives will get a 'soccer mom' haircut which is plain, not stylish, not chosen to enhance attractiveness, is more utilitarian in their mind when making the choice.

Some older women will keep their hair long as a signal that they have not given up - and some because they have a youthful spirit. And because they feel it enhances their attractiveness.

Other women will dye their hair pink or blue or green - or have pink or blue streaks - to signal they are counter-culture or individualistic or different (in their opinion) or have anti-establishment views.

Women who prefer women for partners/dates/relationships often have a very short boyish cut or a distinctly manly masculine short cut, though women who prefer women have branched out to all types of cuts/styles.

Some women are unaware of the signals and messages they send to others (and society) about themselves with their hair choice.

Men often send signals with their choice of cut and style too. Men who choose long hair may be artistic, a musician, a part of the counter culture, politically liberal, an artist, a youthful spirit, a man who feels his hair is an asset, anti-establishment. A very short shaven or buzz cut is often chosen by some military men.

The same is done with the clothing one chooses - the choices send signals to society of who you are on a number of levels and how you think about yourself.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-20-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 08:31 PM

correction for 2nd sentence above: choose, not chose

Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,851,330 times
I wore my hair in a bob almost to my shoulders for years but decided to stop dying it. So when the roots started to get bad, I had all the dyed hair chopped off, leaving me with short hair. As I was RVing all over the country that summer, I decided I could just wear a hat until the grey grew out.

I was surprised how much I loved the very short hair and the gray. People told me I looked much younger than before. I think it suited my face shape better than the longer bob, which sort of "dragged" my face down. I'm 70 and life is enough of a drag without my hair making it worse.

It takes less than a minute to dry it. Finger comb it and I'm done. Friends and family tell me they like it. What more could I ask?

Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,127,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
People were blown away when they first saw me with the new style.
I still get compliments from people, mostly about the color. Most people have never seen a real henna-head before, and the color quality as compared to chemical dyes is obvious.
I can only guess that American henna products are somehow superior in quality, to the henna you see everywhere in Russia. Over there, it looks like....henna. It never looks natural. I'm glad yours works for you.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,342,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Just wanted some insight from women who at some point in their life decided to cut their hair short.

What were your motives?
I liked the style, or in the case of wanting to return to my curly/coily texture, I did the "big chop," which is cutting off relaxed (chemically straightened) hair. That was the case three years ago. It was collarbone length. Then I chopped it off and went platinum>silver/grey. I looked great. Loved it. Super low maintenance, too. I cut it that short again last fall because low thyroid levels made my hair dry and led to a lot of shedding, and while I attempted a lot of things to repair it and add moisture, I noticed major texture changes due to thyroid issues. So I chopped it off to start fresh, again.

It looked like this the first time. Fresh out of the salon:

Quote:
Do you feel different?
I felt like I had less hair. I don't know about "different." Less to wash. Much less maintenance. No shedding.

Quote:
Did you feel you were treated any different?
My husband loves/prefers short hair. I received a lot of compliments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care