Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:32 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

I started air drying my hair. Just shampoo and conditioner. Not drying with a hairdryer makes my hair poofy. People buy products to tame the poof, because if you have a lot of hair the last thing you need is a lot of hair.

But if you don’t, poof is a wonderful thing.

It’s only been a week, but so far, so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 PM

422 posts, read 336,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Going to the doctor tomorrow to ask about spironolactone, but after googling it I am not sure it would work for me since I do not have to much male hormone. I read that it can help with hair loss. Viviscal tablets has biotin in it which I already take?

Tried this for my alopecia...didn’t help....

Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
just discovered that Bumble and Bumble Thickening Shampoo makes hair amazingly full and voluminous.
shiny too.

nordstrom.com

Old 09-07-2022, 09:21 AM

712 posts, read 555,234 times
It's been 4 years since I created this thread. I am 63 and still struggle with my hair. I have found ways to cope. I was allowed to take by my dermatologist finasteride, which is usually strictly for men. It did help with the shedding but I can't say as I have seen a tremendous amount of new growth. However, a product that has been a super blessing to hide my scalp is called gray away magnetic powder. To my absolute sadness it seems to have been discontinued. I am posting before and after images with using the gray away. I use to call it my magic eraser. I am searching for something similar and I have found sevich but the amount in the container seems to go so much faster than the gray away. These containers have a sponge applicator but found it was way easier to use crafting spouncers as it was easier to hold onto.

I have never colored my hair and have very little gray. I used the gray away to color my scalp. They do have a spray but I totally like the powder way more.

Last edited by anitak1982; 09-07-2022 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-13-2022, 05:45 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Just to clarify, I only use saw palmetto and nettle topically, they are contained in the DHA blocker/ketoconazole shampoo. Saw palmetto doesn't increase estrogen, here's some info on it: Saw Palmetto can be used in women with estrogen dominance due to its action on the inhibition of an enzyme called 5 alpha-reductase, which in turn lessens the action of testosterone, inactivates estrogen receptors and prevents the destruction of progesterone.

Stinging nettle is an estrogen blocker which also decreases DHT. Burdock in excess can cause all kinds of problems, but a few drops of burdock oil on the scalp every couple of days is very unlikely to cause issues. I would not use excessive amounts of the above topically, and I certainly would not take them orally.

As for Ketoconazole, it is an anti-fungal treatment but it has also been shown to decrease hair shedding and improve hair growth as well. It really made a positive difference for me. OTC shampoos/treatments only contain up to 1% of keto, prescription shampoos 2%. That concentration can cause irritation and other issues, so I personally wouldn't want to use anything higher than 1%.
I’m a male and use these products as well. I also incorporate horsetail for its silica content.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:35 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I started air drying my hair. Just shampoo and conditioner. Not drying with a hairdryer makes my hair poofy. People buy products to tame the poof, because if you have a lot of hair the last thing you need is a lot of hair.

But if you don’t, poof is a wonderful thing.

It’s only been a week, but so far, so good.
I air dry my hair too, except for the bangs which are squirrely due to a minor cowlick.

I just bought John Frieda's "Volume Lift Thickening Spray."

"Root boosting lift for all-over fullness. with AIR-SILK Technology for Fine or Flat Hair."

7 bucks on Amazon. I love it! It's watery and doesn't make my hair sticky. It says to put it at the roots which I do, but I also bring it down through my hair, which is shoulder length. Finally a product I like that works.

I've been using New York Biology B7 Biotin shampoo for about a year. My hair looks and feels really healthy and is growing like a weed.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:50 AM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
However, a product that has been a super blessing to hide my scalp is called gray away magnetic powder. To my absolute sadness it seems to have been discontinued. I am posting before and after images with using the gray away. I use to call it my magic eraser. I am searching for something similar and I have found sevich but the amount in the container seems to go so much faster than the gray away.

What about this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N1CWL7S...pa_mw_detail_0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXSKLJ1...pa_mw_detail_1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WA2DGB6...pa_mw_detail_4

All have great reviews.
Scroll down the Amazon page. There are more products.

Beauty shops like Ulta or Sally's Beauty have their own brands. You might want to check there.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:09 AM

712 posts, read 555,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What about this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N1CWL7S...pa_mw_detail_0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXSKLJ1...pa_mw_detail_1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WA2DGB6...pa_mw_detail_4

All have great reviews.
Scroll down the Amazon page. There are more products.

Beauty shops like Ulta or Sally's Beauty have their own brands. You might want to check there.
Those should work great! I call these my magic eraser.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:00 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,756,270 times
I've been using Viviscal Shampoo and Conditioner. This is for long-term expectations. Also, I use the leave-in condition when I comb at night or the days off from shampooing.

A Dermatologist recommended OTC products for my hair. Funny, when I first saw him, his first question to me was: "Did you just lose a family member?" Yes! and it shows! Your feelings and emotions reflex onto your hair: thinning and/or falling out.

Walgreens, Walmart, and CVS carry Viviscal, and maybe Amazon too?

Plus I take vitamins. "Hair, Skin & Nails" It's becoming a popular trend with vitamins - I would say try the longest-running brand first - Nature Bounty - (it comes in a pink box) - take 3 per day with a meal.
Plus a silver multiple and extra Biotin.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:47 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Taking hormones can be dangerous to your health (strokes, breast cancer). Excess estrogen causes the most prevalent form of breast cancer. As a woman dealing with this cancer, I can say I'd rather wear a wig.
And, ironically, many breast cancer patients end up with wigs, anyway.

Unless they're "Stage IV." Then, it's a different thing, all together.

Nothing funny, here. Nope, NOT funny at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care