Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,610,106 times

Advertisements

I am a barber and a barber shop owner and I have heard a very small handful of customers say that the owner should not be tipped. I do not argue with them they either tip me or they don't but as far as I am concerned if they have that mentality then I don't mind them going somewhere else or letting another barber cut their hair. That is a customer I can do without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 01:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,186,761 times
Good insight 1orlando.
If you worked out of your home and said "I charge $20 for a haircut." and I said "here. I'll give you $25" ...

I can see it both ways. But tipping is customary and I'll keep tipping!

Old 10-02-2018, 08:10 PM

468 posts, read 351,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I am a barber and a barber shop owner and I have heard a very small handful of customers say that the owner should not be tipped. I do not argue with them they either tip me or they don't but as far as I am concerned if they have that mentality then I don't mind them going somewhere else or letting another barber cut their hair. That is a customer I can do without.

A guy I have known since childhood cut hair in a barber shop as am employee and decided to open his own shop in another town that was considered a higher income town and he catered to cutting and styling women's hair....told me even though he never expected a tip all of them did tip him...him and I grew up hitting the same bars once we became of drinking age and the unwritten rule back than was always tip bartenders but if the owner was tending bar you never left a tip for the owner...and I got to know quite a few bar owners and they all agreed on that....tip my bartenders but don't tip me if I happen to be behind the bar they would all say.

Back to hair cutting...I have been going to the same place 15 years or so...a small hole in the wall with 4 chairs....3 males including the owner and 1 female....I've had the same barber for 5-6 years now and the haircut was $9.00 five or so years ago with gradual increases and was just recently raised to $13.000....I've always handed him a $20...we'd shake hands and I'd split

The last time I got my hair cut my normal guy was out of the country to get married so the owner cut my hair...we're friends and while he was cutting my hair I thought back to the local bar about never tip the owner ...but when he was finished I gave him the $20.00 I always give my normal barber and he shook my hand that was that...

The guy I grew up and opened his own place that was extremely successful had to retire before he had planned too due to developing serious back and spine problems which he said was due to doing hair for so many years....so take as many breaks as you can.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:08 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times
Logically, you'd think there would be no requirement to tip a salon owner. If they want more money for that job, they can charge more.

I think some of them come from past experiences as stylists who paid booth rent, and grew accustomed to being tipped, so when they set prices, they set them assuming a tip.

I wish they'd set them and inform customers that no tip is required or expected because they are charging what they expect to be paid.

If I was a stylist, that's what I'd do.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:38 PM

Tips are not required but I appreciate them. As shop owner I don't think it would be fair to our customers to have to pay a different price for the same service just because a different batber cut.their hair. My shop has set prices and it applies across the board to all of us. When I do a haircut I charge the regular price and they pay and either tip me or not. Fortunately for me the vast majority of my customers don't have the mentality that the owner should not be tipped. On the contrary they tip me good because the way they see it as the owner I have overhead expenses that the other barbers do not have. I work hard to provide them with a good haircut and they reward me for it. If most of my customers decided to stop tipping me because I am the owner I would have to raise my prices and I would still be missing out because the other barbers would be charging the same. They would come in one day and find that the shop is under new management. Because I would be gone.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,186,761 times
I totally get that. The original scenario in this thread was about someone who isn't in a traditional setting, rather she works alone with no other employees. Of course in your setting an owner would get part of what the others get or a booth charge/rent, right?
Either way she didn't do that much, didn't chargethat much. I tipped her.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:43 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Tips are not required but I appreciate them. As shop owner I don't think it would be fair to our customers to have to pay a different price for the same service just because a different batber cut.their hair. My shop has set prices and it applies across the board to all of us. When I do a haircut I charge the regular price and they pay and either tip me or not. Fortunately for me the vast majority of my customers don't have the mentality that the owner should not be tipped. On the contrary they tip me good because the way they see it as the owner I have overhead expenses that the other barbers do not have. I work hard to provide them with a good haircut and they reward me for it. If most of my customers decided to stop tipping me because I am the owner I would have to raise my prices and I would still be missing out because the other barbers would be charging the same. They would come in one day and find that the shop is under new management. Because I would be gone.
I always tip in shops where there's an owner and other stylists.

The original question was about a single person who cuts hair alone.

I think that scenario is different because they can set prices that they want to receive for their time, just like any other freelance professional.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:37 AM

It is a form of grattitude and a gesture of appreciation. A way of showing the stylist or barber or whatever that persons specialty is that you recognize their hard work. Certainly not required. A personal choice on the part of the customer. There is no should or shouldn't tip. Totally up to the customer. I worked for a lady who owned a salon and before she hired me she worked alone for quite a while and her customers always tipped her very well.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:20 AM

15,197 posts, read 10,158,323 times
OP - in the situation you describe, no I would not tip the owner. I've always heard you don't tip the owner. My mother went to the same owner/stylist for 20 years, never tipped her. The one time I did use an owner/stylist I just asked her if she accepted tips as an owner.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:22 AM

6,451 posts, read 6,603,157 times
Perhaps every transaction we ever have with an employee should include a tip. Everyone wants to earn more money, right?

So keep that in mind next time you see your bank teller, grocery check-out clerk, kids' teachers, phlebotomist, trash man, oil change dude, furniture store salesperson, flight attendant, electrician, yoga instructor, tree trimmer, garage door repairman, bra fitter, gutter cleaner, circus performer.....

Yeah, it will never make any sense to me (nor to the rest of the world which largely does not tip).

Just charge me what you need to charge me. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care