Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:31 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times

Advertisements

I've been using henna for decades and have always loved the color without the chemicals. But now I'm almost completely gray at the temples while having next to none elsewhere. Henna still looks fine on the rest of my head, but no matter how I time it, it just doesn't work on the temples, which are gray in a wide swath. If I pull it back or wear it down, either way I have my face framed with hair the color of Irn Bru. I just don't have the budget to have it professionally done and have no idea of a product that would solve the problem.

While I hate the fake orange shade, I also hate the ashy tone of my natural color, which, along with the gray, makes me look pale and washed out. I used to henna it and look in the mirror and think how it looked warmer, like I had come back from the dead.

Is there a home product that would work for me at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 05:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Not sure what you mean by "home product"? Are you looking for something similar to henna or are you interested in a product from the store? Semi-permanent (will wash out after 6-10 shampoos) or permanent (stays in but you have roots to keep touched up). I started graying in my mid 30's so I used one of the standard permanent hair colors from the store like Clairol, etc. However, the more gray I got, the more I was winding up with what is called "hot roots". The non gray areas would take okay but the gray, especially at the roots, wouldn't especially if you want to use any auburn or reddish tones.

My niece owns a salon in another area and she told me to go to Sally's and buy color developer & mix it with the Wella color closest to my natural color which is medium brown. I also add a touch of dark auburn. You mix 2 parts developer to 1 part color. In my case I use 3 oz of developer, 1 oz of medium brown and 1/2 oz of dark auburn. Apply at the roots for 35 minutes, then comb it through your hair, adding more color if necessary. Leave on 5 minutes, maybe longer depending on how far away you are going from your natural color. The people at Sally's will be able to give you suggestions.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:46 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Your hair and skin are probably fading in tandem. Sometimes women put a too saturated coolr on their hair to cover their gray. It never looks natural because skin color is also fading as they age.

I think you should ask around for a good stylist, pay a visit for a consult, and see if there is a technique or product you can try.

But usually, home dyeing looks bad, and leaves one’s hair dry and brittle. I see this all the time.

Is there a way to use the gray around your face as a dramatic personal style statement?

Old 10-06-2018, 12:06 PM

I like the gray, really, which is more white than gray. I love when it first starts to lose color and look like a little streak. Truth to tell, if there was something that would stick to my regular color and not at all to the gray, I'd be all over it. I've been coloring my hair since long before I had the first gray one simply because I liked the warmer auburn tone with my skin.

Henna, the real stuff, doesn't dry your hair like chemicals and I don't think it looks fake or over-saturated. I'm going to post a picture below. You can see the gray ones because they aren't smooth or straight. There are not so many in the back, the front is all gray on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with partly gray hair-hair.jpg  

Old 10-06-2018, 12:53 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

But usually, home dyeing looks bad, and leaves one’s hair dry and brittle. I see this all the time.

I know you said "usually" but I wanted to mention that I've used a home dye, Clairol Nice'n Easy, for many years, and it makes my hair soft and shiny, not dry and brittle at all. The color looks real, not flat and dull. It's the conditioner that comes with the dye that leaves my hair soft and shiny. Love that stuff.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 PM

No one uses a product that covers gray as well as their natural color - or how about just their natural color and doesn't stick to the gray at all?

Thanks, old gardener, I tried Clairol some while back, but didn't like the way my hair felt.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
No one uses a product that covers gray as well as their natural color - or how about just their natural color and doesn't stick to the gray at all?

Thanks, old gardener, I tried Clairol some while back, but didn't like the way my hair felt.
Anything that colors hair will change the gray as well. You would have to separate out your streaks and protect them from the color somehow.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I know you said "usually" but I wanted to mention that I've used a home dye, Clairol Nice'n Easy, for many years, and it makes my hair soft and shiny, not dry and brittle at all. The color looks real, not flat and dull. It's the conditioner that comes with the dye that leaves my hair soft and shiny. Love that stuff.
I believe you. Many, many years ago I used that product to lighten my hair.

However, most home dyes also give hair an all over sameness that is not natural. I can’t remember how Nice and Easy works though.

I have also known women who used home dye products with great success.

But I do also see loads of dry, brittle, brassy dye jobs on older women. I also see dark hair and gray roots. I know I would do a mediocre job of coloring my hair, and I would put off touch ups as well. I think if you are happy with what has been working for you, then you go girl!

Old 10-13-2018, 01:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I finally broke down and went to the salon. I had been dying my hair for years, and couldn’t figure out why it started looking so washed out. The stylist told me to add highlights and lowlights. My hair hasn’t looked so good in a decade! Sadly, not natural and cost a fortune.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I've been using henna for decades and have always loved the color without the chemicals. But now I'm almost completely gray at the temples while having next to none elsewhere. Henna still looks fine on the rest of my head, but no matter how I time it, it just doesn't work on the temples, which are gray in a wide swath. If I pull it back or wear it down, either way I have my face framed with hair the color of Irn Bru. I just don't have the budget to have it professionally done and have no idea of a product that would solve the problem.

While I hate the fake orange shade, I also hate the ashy tone of my natural color, which, along with the gray, makes me look pale and washed out. I used to henna it and look in the mirror and think how it looked warmer, like I had come back from the dead.

Is there a home product that would work for me at all?
What brand do you use? And is it a "compound" product with additives, or pure BAQ? What's the dye content percentage?

I have issues with grey temples now too, and I use a henna that is certified to 2.3% lawsone content, which means I get an auburn color over my natural dishwater blonde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care