U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 12:09 AM

47 posts, read 330,028 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I got my hair dyed at a professional salon and about two weeks later, it seemed to have been washed out! When I dye my hair at home, it does not fade out that quick. I am kind of wondering if the salon girl put temporary color or something she knew would fade out quickly? I don't know. I told her how dark I wanted it and she didn't even come close. She said she didn't want to shock me with the color, which I can understand. I liked the color, just wanted it much darker, plus I knew it would fade, etc. She told me, "we can do it darker next time if you want", and kept talking about next time. I kind of feel like she was trying to 'make' me a client and tried selling me products as well. I am asking because I am considering going to her again but I want the color to last! Also, it is a money issue too, I cannot afford to spend $60 on hair color to have it fade in two weeks. Ideas on why it would fade so quickly? This may be kind of a silly question, but I don't want the same thing to happen again. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 02:56 PM

5,013 posts, read 8,432,243 times
Could it be minerals in the water where you are living? Is the water "hard"?

Are you using a shampoo and conditioner for colored hair?

Did you have your hair colored red? Red seems to lose its pigment the fastest (I've had my hair colored red before, even with the right kind of shampoos and conditioners, the red didn't stay very long).

Are you using hairspray to finish your style? The alcohol in the spray tends to fade out color faster.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:06 PM

1,935 posts, read 7,424,546 times
Assuming you are using the correct products for colored hair (and even if you aren't it still should last longer than 2 weeks if it was a permanent hair color)I would complain to the stylist and if she can't help to the owner of the salon. They should be willing to redo the color at no charge. I am a deep brunette with a lot of natural auburn highlights. I do however have to color some gray that is starting to rear it's ugly head plus I want to tone down the auburn/red in my hair. My stylist does an all over deep brunette color on my hair with blue added to take the red out and it lasts me a good 6 weeks or more (just that dang gray) So the darker color should not contribute to the quick fade out.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:12 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,904,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw555...5 View Post
Hello everyone, I got my hair dyed at a professional salon and about two weeks later, it seemed to have been washed out! When I dye my hair at home, it does not fade out that quick. I am kind of wondering if the salon girl put temporary color or something she knew would fade out quickly? I don't know. I told her how dark I wanted it and she didn't even come close. She said she didn't want to shock me with the color, which I can understand. I liked the color, just wanted it much darker, plus I knew it would fade, etc. She told me, "we can do it darker next time if you want", and kept talking about next time. I kind of feel like she was trying to 'make' me a client and tried selling me products as well. I am asking because I am considering going to her again but I want the color to last! Also, it is a money issue too, I cannot afford to spend $60 on hair color to have it fade in two weeks. Ideas on why it would fade so quickly? This may be kind of a silly question, but I don't want the same thing to happen again. Thanks.
If you feel that your stylest is not being honest with you, you should go to the owner.

Politely tell her that you are/could be a repeat customer, but you do a better job on your hair for less money when using a boxed product. Tell her if they correct their mistake(obviously, at no charge to you) you will come back, otherwise they have lost a customer. Most people (ME) would just walk away and never go back again and they would be clueless why they are losing customers.

If your hair is in the same conditon as when you used the boxed product, the professional job should be at LEAST as good, and I might expect, better. And, you must be sure that you have used the same products on your hair (both the boxed and salon dyed hair): also, I would consider if I have spent more time swimming, esp in chloronated or salt water. They can change color. Even just walking in the sun can lighten hair, especially if it is chemically treated.

On the other hand, maybe they have cheated you. Perhaps business is bad and they are using cheap products, or using less product; maybe the worker just picked the wrong box from the shelf by accident. If they substitute one color for another they should get your approval first. If they do not have the color you selected they should tell you first. You should not be expected to pay for their errors or for something you neither approved of nor wanted.

I used to frequent one of these establishments, going each week. Then I moved and every salon I went to seemed to have bs artists and salespeople working for them. I got really annoyed when they seemed to rush through haircuts and cover the error with the set and when I got home and tried to do it myself I had problems. I started thinking that 'these people are not rocket scientists'. I can do this myself. All I have to do is prey their jealously guarded secrets out of the ethers. I started gathering info on how to cut and color my own hair, and gradually I mastered this well enough. Trial and error, but hair always grows back, so how bad could it be?

I am amazed at how the 'cutting and coloring hair' human population seems to have a dividing line which has 'those in the know' on one side and 'the paying uninformed public' on the other. 'Those in the know' realize that if people start finding out how to do for themselves, they will be out of their jobs. So it is to their advantage to hold back information and to confuse people with double talk. They use chemicals specially formulated for hair use which are basically peroxide and ammonia, but they are now called 'ligheners' and 'developers' and 'activators'.

Ah, the mystery of it all!

Even at beauty supply stores, if you purchase something you often will get meager advice or instruction, at least in my area, but if you have a thick hide and keep asking around you pick up tips and can finally piece it all together.

It must have been heartbreaking to some when boxed dyes were marketed to the public. I got my first demo on cutting hair from an old barber who had some spare time. Bless that good man. Now, on the internet, you can even find demos on actually cutting hair. There are probably dvds available, too.

I would ask the woman/operator, if I were a customer, what she is doing, how to do this or that, and if she would not tell me what she was doing or gave me an answer that sounded deliberately confusing, (they often want you to be helpless and totally dependent on them), I would ask her not to talk to me because I have a headache. If she will not tell me what she is doing and I am paying her for it, why should I be a captive audience to her salemanship or private life? After all, I pay for cable and can shut the sound off of commercials. Why should I listen to sales blather? Headaches come in useful for more than one thing.

Some people don't seem to realize that you have to TRUST a person somewhat before you buy from them. This, like medical care, is a problem because you are paying them, or agreeing to, before you can witness the final product.
You are completely vulnerable to the expertise and ethical standards, or lack thereof, of the person providing the service. In both hair and medicine, if you are having a procedure done, you should educate yourself about it. You should expect to be told in advance what they are doing, and what you will expect to experience as an outcome.

Last edited by goldengrain; 04-06-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,905,918 times
Excellent post, Golden!

I am wondering if the stylist put in some temporary product like Fanci-Full Roux! Sounds like it washed right out!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 PM

324 posts, read 791,403 times
Golden's advice is great! Definitely go back to the salon and explain the situation. Any good salon will be happy to fix the problem.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:38 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,904,473 times
Sorry that I misspelled so many words. Well, I was tired.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 PM

35,883 posts, read 71,905,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Sorry that I misspelled so many words. Well, I was tired.
Shoot, Golden, it was a great post! In the "real world" - you would have a proof reader and editor to look over things b/f they were printed! So big deal. We all make some errors - I made a glaring one myself this evening and found it too late to edit it. IT HAPPENS. Your info and advice were sterling, so who cares about some typos.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 43,025 times
okay I'm with the girl that says I think they put something in the salon hair dye so it doesn't last, I get my hair cut and colored every 5-6 weeks, but my hair dye only last 2 weeks if that and its permanent, then my hair dresser had an a family emergency at Christmas 2014, so another hair dresser (same salon) did my hair, guess what my color lasted 2 months!!!!!!!, as of today the grays are just starting to peek thru. Now I'm sure, salon coloring is a scam!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care