Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM

40 posts, read 144,083 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the information. It must have taken you awhile to lay it all out.
How often do you have to do root touch ups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jone10021 View Post
Thank you for all the information. It must have taken you awhile to lay it all out.
How often do you have to do root touch ups?
who are you asking? Usually root touch ups vary from 6 to 8 weeks when there is obvious regrowth showing.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:49 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I keep my hair jaw length or shorter, so the cap is not a problem for me to use. Also, streaking with a cap, as was said, is much easier than foiling it all yourself.

I did not know that you could foil with bleach and dyes. The boxed stuff says not to use with metal. I thought the foiled procedure was only for use with certain chemicals?

I like my entire head lighter and accomplish this by using the cap and just pulling a few hairs out of many holes all over the head. The front is done a bit more.

I do not need touchups, which is why this 'works' for me. I just let it grow. Because my own hair color is sitting right next to the lightened strands the regrowth is not all that noiticable. I trim it regularly, and when the entire head starts looking dark I give myself a shorter cut and frost it with the cap again. I do this about twice a year.

Sure, it is a pain in the butt, but I find it a bigger headache to attend to the new growth the way I would have to if I did the whole head at once. I also do not have to be so careful. Once the hair is all pulled through the holes I can just smooch the mix all over the head knowing it will not touch my other hairs. I don't have to worry about not getting all the roots in the back.

You are correct, the cap would be a problem for long hair.

The only part that is hard is getting all the hairs through the holes in the cap, but I take my time and after this is done it's easy.

Can a person use normal dyes and bleach with the foil? Aren't you supposed to not use metal with this stuff?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Not use metal with foiling caps...is that what you are asking? I don't even know how or why you would do this. When I did you frosting caps back about 30 years ago, I would use bleach and 30 volume peroxide and then cover it with a plastic bag to keep it moist and sit under a dryer. I would always cover my hair with plastic first before putting on the frosting cap to assure there would not be any bleeding.
Maybe you could be more clear about your last question?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Not use metal with foiling caps...is that what you are asking? I don't even know how or why you would do this. When I did you frosting caps back about 30 years ago, I would use bleach and 30 volume peroxide and then cover it with a plastic bag to keep it moist and sit under a dryer. I would always cover my hair with plastic first before putting on the frosting cap to assure there would not be any bleeding.
Maybe you could be more clear about your last question?
I am sorry that I did not respond sooner. Something got messed up in the software, I think, because I did not receive your response.

If you are still there -
I guess I am not familiar with the foiling process.
I have read some things which imply that you can use a permant color treatment through foiling. I thought that the chemicals that are used in such permanent color treatments were not to be used with metal, and foil is a metal.
I was curious as to where my thinking is wrong, because I am obviously confused.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,067 times
I just had my hair frosted at the salon she died my hair brown and then frosted it, but i dont have as much highlights as i wanted would it hurt to frost my hair myself its been done for almost 3 weeks

Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Am with the OP as far as frosting my hair myself; I get the kit at Walmart and it usually runs around $7.

Have tried a couple times to have it done at a salon...big mistake! Besides the expense; both attempts were failures. One gal didn't leave the bleach on long enough and my hair was orange!

People tell me I do a much better job myself, so why give the money to someone else?

Old 05-04-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNADO52 View Post
I just had my hair frosted at the salon she died my hair brown and then frosted it, but i dont have as much highlights as i wanted would it hurt to frost my hair myself its been done for almost 3 weeks
Every time you color your hair you weaken it - especially when you bleach/frost it. You 've already done both.

I would just wait until it grows and not process it any more, but I have thin fine hair. Go back to your beautician and tell her. There are times when you go to a professional and hope she/he has enough experience to advise you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care