Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:56 PM

320 posts, read 279,697 times

Advertisements

Omg. Happened to me twice. Been with her for a long time but she is having spouse issue with motherinlaw moving in. My hair paid the price.

I am in the peesed off with thinner hair due to wacky stylist, club, too.

First time I saw her texturizing, as she called it, non stop. I was sick.
When it happened again, I vowed never again.
Using essential oils. Massage. Whatever it takes.
She is filing for divorce.

Gee. Can I sue her motherinlaw???

My prayers for regrowth go out to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 10:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Razoring and thinning shears for texture works better with some hair types and textures than others.

My stylist of the past decade, over time, has learned that they're the best way to get movement and the appearance of volume in my thick, wavy hair...if left all one length, I get triangle head. If I want volume up near the roots, which is higher than my natural S-wave starts, layers are necessary. But, if they're cut in with standard shears, with my texture, they start to look very soccer mom. Layers with scissors might look fine in someone else's hair, but with my wave, they don't blend well at all. It's too easy for them to come out choppy and not at all like what I want.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:09 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
It sucks to get a bad cut, but the good thing is hair grows back.

I had the same stylist for about 20 years. Then my haircuts started by being uneven. She said she needed glasses to read. Well, she needed them for cutting hair, too, and she was too vain to wear them. It took me a while to find a new person that did a cut the way I liked. I saw a woman with a good hair cut and asked her who her stylist was and that worked out well for me. The only downside is I have to remember to make an appointment about four weeks out as she has no shortage of customers.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:21 AM

587 posts, read 423,184 times
Hate that feeling when bad haircut just doesn't make you feel good.

How about hair extensions until your hair grows back

Old 12-14-2018, 09:40 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
My last stylist that could do layers properly with scissors moved away. It took her a long time to do the cut because she would pin the hair up and cut small amounts at a time to make sure it all blended. I cannot imagine a modern stylist being so patient and precise. Even older ones who know how to do it don't want to do it the old way, too time consuming -and old fashioned, I guess.
Agreed on this. My favorite stylist would section my hair off in at least a dozen spots - and I have very short hair. I now live 500 miles away from her, and get a haircut from her maybe once a year. My current stylist uses texturizing shears, and the look just isn't the same.

I had someone use a razor once to cut my hair - never again. Not only did it hurt while she was doing it, but my head looked like a dandelion puff.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I'm so sorry, that bites! Is there any chance a few days will help it to look better? I doubt it, but it's worth some hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirlatheart View Post
I have super thick hair as well and it seems that stylists are frothing at the mouth to use those shears at every appt. I'm like, NO, especially when half of the time, it seems like they have no true idea what they're doing with them.
Yep, I have that experience, too. I have curly, thick hair that I've been cutting myself for almost all my adult life, but I used to go to someone in high school and a few times since then. They just love thinning it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Different stylists are trained to do layering in different ways. The first stylist I went to when we moved years ago used thinning shears or something like that to do the layers. It looked awful. Just my opinion, but it's a novice, or in the case of this stylist, a lazy way to do layering. I stopped going to her when I found someone better.
I also agree with this. I would make a point to tell them no thinning sheers! I think it's a matter of how they were trained, what they are comfortable with, and the fact that it's faster to use those than to take time to do it with scissors alone. Sorry this happened to you. I hope it grows out quickly and looks at least a little better after a few days.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:49 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Been there (kind of) and it TOTALLY is the pits. Took six months for me to look even presentable (in my opinion).

The good news is that I discovered that I actually have curly hair! I never noticed it before because I had so much hair and wore it long, that the weight of it took the curl out so it just looked slightly wavy. So, then, when my hair started growing out again, surprise! Now because of that "disaster", I have a haircut that takes absolutely no work and looks like I spent at least a half hour on it every morning. The shorter curlier style is actually more flattering than the older longer style (even though the hair itself doesn't look quite so pretty -- when it was long, it was smooth and glossy and I got compliments on that and the color; now I 'just' get compliments on the style.)

I just hope that something good will come out of your "disaster", too!

Old 12-15-2018, 09:08 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Oh no, so sorry to hear this happened to you.

I've only had my hair professionally done twice in my life. The second time ended up with an experience like yours; I had gone in for long layers and ended up with 1/2 the thickness of my hair gone and an additional 4.5" of length gone ::

It took several months for it to look decent but the positive that came out of it was I learned to style it in different ways; I had been kind of stuck in a style rut. I also tried a different color/highlights (done myself) and found I looked better with a different color. I also found I looked good in a beret

You are noticing it much more than others will. When I had my bad haircut I was surprised by how many people LIKED it.

Still, the best I can offer is that it will grow back out and now you know which hairdresser to not go to...

Old 12-28-2018, 05:01 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
No one gets near my head with scissors of ANY sort! The last time I went to a "stylist" for a cut, I told them to take NO MORE than an inch off the ends. Stylist nattered on about how I would look "so cute" with short hair. I didn't want short hair. I wanted it LONG as it was already. I only went because people yammer on so about getting your hair cut regularly and I thought I HAD to.

NO. You do NOT need regular hair cuts unless you want to maintain a certain length or your toddler got bubblegum in your hair. I haven't had my hair cut in something approaching 30 years by now.

So anyway when it became obvious I was ignoring all chopping blandishments, the stylist swung me around so I wasn't facing the mirror any more and started going to town. By the time I realized what she was doing, she had cut a FULL 8" OUT OF MY HAIR. And was INTENDING to cut it even SHORTER.

I was FURIOUS. I left without allowing her to finish the cut. Got a friend to even up the ends and had to wait for it to grow out. She had "thinned" or "layered" it as well, so I looked like the family dog after the 5 year old cuts its hair for a long time.

That's the WORST incident of that type, but I had repeatedly had "stylists" cut more than I wanted off, even when I specifically reiterated there was NO CUTTING to be done AT ALL. I have never allowed anyone anywhere near my hair with ANYTHING since. I've saved a crapton of money not going to useless stylists who think my head is their blank canvas. Most of them obviously think they are abstract artists.

I don't care how someone ELSE thinks my hair should look. Only how *I* want it to look - and that is long and curly. I didn't even know I had curly hair until I was over 30 because of the "hair care regimen" my mother instilled in me - and her purpose in doing that was to make sure my hair looked like dung because she was jealous of my curls. She had me brushing my uber fine hair (most babies have thicker hair than I do) 100 strokes twice a day and refused to allow me to use conditioner.

I am not kidding, I was the only one in the house who was not allowed to use conditioner. She would smell my hair after the shower to make sure it smelled only of Prell or VO5 or whatever cheap shampoo she was forcing me to use at the time. I couldn't do a thing with hair that had been brushed until it stood out from my head like a cartoon character being electrocuted so I ended up getting it permed regularly for about 8 years - until I moved to Puerto Rico, where humidity is high, didn't have the time to dig up a new "stylist" to fry my hair again, the old perm grew out and my head BURST INTO FULL CURL.

We'd all be better off if we spent way less time shelling money out to "stylists". I FULLY understand how you feel. "Stylists" do not know how to cut curly hair and in fact I have NEVER met a stylist who could recreate the "styles" in the books they have lying all over the place, nor explain to you which styles might suit your type of hair, even if you had "regular" hair to start with. They all have "degrees" that are ultimately nonsense. I've heard more ridiculous hair mythology from stylists than any other type of human being on the planet. One woman tried to convince me that allowing my hair to grow long would cause me to have PROTEIN DEFICIENCIES.

Yup. That's right. This "licensed" whatever-she-was with her degree from a hair cutting school thought that because hair is made of protein, if it grows long, it pulls ALL THE PROTEIN out of your body and you'll have protein deficiencies.

Fortunately I don't have hair that needs a lot of cutting and attention - it just needs shampoo/cream rinse that won't damage it. It's taken me quite some time, but my hair is now recovering from Pantene Addiction - I didn't realize it at the time, but Pantene was destroying my hair. But every time I tried to switch to something else, my hair started breaking off even WORSE. It took me forever to realize that this was because the damaged hair was being shed at the point where the silicone damage stopped.

Now I use several Shea Moisture products that are rejuvenating my hair and I hope to have long hair at least halfway down my back again. Right now it has broken off until it is only just barely below my shoulders. And yes, I DID have "protein deficiencies" - but only in my HAIR. I was terrified to try to add protein to my hair because it was already behaving the same way I had had "protein overload" described to me. Figuring out the protein thing is confusing because all the symptoms of not enough are exactly the same as the symptoms of TOO MUCH protein, LOL!

I no longer shed rat-sized clumps of hair every time I shower. I don't shed hair like an elderly malnourished Persian cat just walking around any more. IT IS GROWING OUT AGAIN at long last and nobody is getting near me with scissors, LOL!

The only thing I would go to a stylist for is to get a henna treatment (because they are messy and a pain) and NOBODY DOES THAT! LOL!

Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
So sorry to hear of your experience, OP. I deliberately had my hair thinned out a couple of months ago. Stephan did a wonderful job. No cutting off inches, just thinning. He told me he doesn't do it like most, he thins out at a downward angle. That prevents a lot of the frizzies.

Time to call for an appointment. I was just a walk-in the first time. I hope he is still there. It is a Great Cuts and doesn't seem to be too busy. If he's not there anymore, I will pass and try and find out where he went to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care