U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 PM

893 posts, read 627,691 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe the luck I have. I saw a lady with a great cut like I had before so I ask who she goes to and set up the appointment. I tell her no thinning/blending scissors and no razor. I have fine hair if you do these things it gets fly away. Well she assures me she won't then proceeds to thin with the scissors. My guy in North Carolina will not believe that he is the only guy that knows how to cut hair. I swear it is the last haircut I get other than Lance or I'll shave my darn head at 52 years old.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM

35,883 posts, read 71,933,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
I cannot believe the luck I have. I saw a lady with a great cut like I had before so I ask who she goes to and set up the appointment. I tell her no thinning/blending scissors and no razor. I have fine hair if you do these things it gets fly away. Well she assures me she won't then proceeds to thin with the scissors. My guy in North Carolina will not believe that he is the only guy that knows how to cut hair. I swear it is the last haircut I get other than Lance or I'll shave my darn head at 52 years old.
I am so sorry! I think there is nothing more miserable than a horrible haircut!!!! My best friend is 10 years older than you . . . but her hair sounds like yours . . . and she also went for her most recent haircut . . . said the same things - no razor, no thinning, etc . . . and further, completely described the bob she wanted (wh/ was essentially what she already had - but only shorter) and she said much to her horror, the woman started whacking away and then pulled out a razor - and my friend says she literally YELLED - NO NO- but it was too late. I got a call w/ my friend in tears - said since her hair takes soooo long to grow out - she has no idea when she will get it straightened out again. THe hairstylist had cut a big hunk out of the back - all these chunks - and w/ fine, thin hair - that just doesn't cut it!!!! She even had told the woman - blunt cut. And here it was chunked up - not blunt (I know I am not using the right terms - but you probably get the idea).

So what is wrong w/ these stylists? BTW - let me mention - my friend is a CPA now - but when she was starting out - she was a hair stylist for about 10 years!!! So it is not as tho she doesnt understand how to explain what she wants.

I just wanted to say I am sorry that things went badly. Don't shave your head. (Or what the heck - maybe that would at least guarantee that everything will grow out evenly, LOL!!!)

Old 04-09-2008, 09:58 PM

3,638 posts, read 8,824,912 times
I really hate that!! they never do what I tell them to - I have a lot of hair but it is fine and I always tell them "no layers" and then they say why? clueless

Old 04-10-2008, 07:48 AM

4,596 posts, read 10,932,420 times
There's not much worse than a bad haircut, but, that said, at least it is not forever. It'll just seem that way.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM

[quote=Fairfax Mom;3411167]I really hate that!! they never do what I tell them to - I have a lot of hair but it is fine and I always tell them "no layers" and then they say why? clueless[/QUOTE

Exactly. My guy in NC said tell everyone no layers. I usually wear a angled bob, but that got ruined when a girl took hunks out and then I went to a asymetrical to cover that problem so now I have this fly away crap.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 AM

7,363 posts, read 18,336,385 times
I know what you mean. maybe I need to come to NC to get a good cut.
My cousin is here in san antonio now for a few years while in the Navy. She flys back to San Diego every few months to have her hair cut. She's unable to find someone that can cut really curly hair.
All the stylists I've found so far and it's been a lot; all want to cut my hair like I was some 90 year old woman, all the same cookie cutter crap. I like my hair to look good and not like everyone elses.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 AM

969 posts, read 2,690,484 times
I would go back to the person who cut it and ask for instructions (and PRODUCT) on how to style it in the manner it was cut. Many times it is a matter of using the correct brush - gel - and dryer heat combo to achieve a good style from what looks like a lousy haircut

Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 AM

444 posts, read 1,159,048 times
I can relate, my mom was a beautician, and I was the guinea pig. I had the pixie all my childhood until the bufont came along. I have fine flyway hair, very thin and unruly. A haircut for me, means I have to specifically and sternly tell the operator what I want, then watch them do what they think I want (which is never the same). I want them to pick up each hair one at a time, and barely cut it, but lay it in place and go to the next one. (I always joke that I only have two hairs left, and I'm doin the wrap to get this,lol).
I have to add color, then I get more body and shine, it fills up the gaps, lol. Sorry 'bout your bad haircut. I used to cry when my mom screwed it up.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 AM

1,310 posts, read 5,038,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post

Did you pay her? I wouldnt have. Good thing is, hair
grows and in a month or two you can go and have it blunt cut!
Hang in there. I feel for you!

Greenchili

Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I would go back to the person who cut it and ask for instructions (and PRODUCT) on how to style it in the manner it was cut. Many times it is a matter of using the correct brush - gel - and dryer heat combo to achieve a good style from what looks like a lousy haircut
It isn't product, he cuts hair on angles. He is a barber and went to Sasoon back in the 80s. He says hair grows off the head in different angles and it has to be cut to fall the right way. He ask the Europeans why this isn't taught in all schools and they said because most people don't understand geometry. When he cuts my hair a brush is hardly needed to blow dry. I blow and shake my head. It just falls into place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care