Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:05 AM

3,952 posts, read 2,572,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
https://www.madison-reed.com/hair-dye-ingredients

Has anyone tried this? I keep hearing it advertised on the radio and it sounds pretty good.
I wanted to know more and I found this review by a Hair Stylist, Amy Pitts.

While review was as much about the advantages a salon offers clients she did evaluate it for the chemicals of the products.
https://www.mommygyver.com/single-po...--Madison-Reed

Quote:
Let’s talk about their “all natural, and no harsh chemicals” claim. You have to be careful with claims like this. It is like when something says it is “Sugar Free” but when you look at the ingredients, there are “sugar alcohols” in place of sugar. They throw around the big scary words like Ammonia, Resorcinol, PPD and Parabens. Ok tough talk…I looked into it and all they did was replace these things with broken down versions or ingredients that are actually worse than the original offenders. I don’t mean to imply that Madison Reed is being deceptive because maybe they don’t know that “ethanolamine” is 1 part ethylene oxide and 1 part ammonia.

A website this website mentions has more detailed information about the chemicals Madison Reed uses.

https://ireadlabelsforyou.com/madiso...ir-dye-review/

Quote:
According to the FDA, ethanolamine may also be contaminated with diethanolamine (DEA), which is linked with cancer in lab animals. In fact, ethanolamine is rated 5-6 depending on usage (10 being the most toxic) in the Skin Deep database, while ammonia is rated 4-6. So in this case, according to the EWG database, Madison Reed actually replaced ammonia with something even more toxic!
I had heard advertisements for this hair coloring too. I am disappointed the hair coloring isn't any better than the other methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,438,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have just experienced hair dye allergic reaction started about five days ago after coloring my hair a medium golden blonde. When rinsing I noticed some burning on my face and had some red dots appearing around my temples and eyes, my one eye got broken capillaries and both areas around my eyes started to swell by the next morning. I went to the ER as the instructions on the Loreal box says and they couldn’t do much except rinse my eyes out for awhile with saline solution. The spots started to disappear after a few days but then this morning I woke up and my ear was all red and itchy. I used a clarifying shampoo to try to get more of the dye out, but guess what, in that process my red dots and red eyes came right back again. I called the shampoo line customer service and she only had a guess as to why that would happen. Loreal was also very accommodating but unfortunately the damage has been done. After going through this I won’t take a chance on using any hair dye again, even if I take the allergy patch test. I don’t trust it. The PPD is the hair dye allergen culprit in most cases cases. My hairdresser and the other women I talked to said this is becoming more common. If you look up on google you can really get an education about all this, some of the photos are shocking. I have to go find a very gentle shampoo that I won’t react to it make my scalp itch like crazy.

Well, THANK YOU for posting this! I never do a patch test and I probably should, as my late sister had a horrible reaction to hair dye in her early 20’s and was never able to use it again. We both had dark brown, nearly black hair. I will definitely do patch tests in the future! I hope you’re going to be OK!

I always say that I’m going to bite the bullet and stop coloring my hair, but then I reach the Cruella deVille or Pepe Le Pew stage and cave and grab for the hair dye. I talked to a hairdresser about what to do and all she had to offer was to cut my long hair short...nope, not happening.

My daughter sent me some henna, but I remember when my sis tried henna, it turned her salt-and-pepper hair a weird yellow color. If anyone has good results with henna, I would really like to hear about it. I did try bright purple Manic Panic on my roots, and it’s...interesting. It did make my hair pretty soft and sleek.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:19 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I wanted to know more and I found this review by a Hair Stylist, Amy Pitts.

While review was as much about the advantages a salon offers clients she did evaluate it for the chemicals of the products.
https://www.mommygyver.com/single-po...--Madison-Reed

A website this website mentions has more detailed information about the chemicals Madison Reed uses.

https://ireadlabelsforyou.com/madiso...ir-dye-review/

I had heard advertisements for this hair coloring too. I am disappointed the hair coloring isn't any better than the other methods.
Thanks. It really sounded promising. I'm going to look around for some more information about it. I think the article said it met the EU standards and that's what made me think it must be pretty safe.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:52 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I love your hair. Also, I would never have guessed that you were 70.
Beat me to it. Lookin' good there, Bayarea.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:54 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, dark dyes have PPD. My hairstylist for many years did get breast cancer. I quit coloring after many years of dying my hair dark brown, I did develop a cancerous cyst on my scalp. Also many women develop allergies after a time. Keep in mind this stuff gets ABSORBED INTO YOUR BODY. I let my hair go silver and actually like it a lot. It's nice to be free of the upkeep and mess.
Accurate!

If anyone is concerned about toxic chemicals being absorbed into their body they need to also ensure they do not use any chemical-based fragrance (body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, detergent, fabric softener, dish soap, air freshener, candles, etc.) because they contain toxic chemicals that adversely effect:

Neurological system
Respiratory system
Hormone-Disruption, and
the environment, to name just a few

The toxic chemicals are manufactured to be long lasting, they do not break down. They can contain carcinogenic elements resulting in cancer, birth defects, and on and on.

People want themselves, their family and the environment to be as healthy as possible. We hear that humans are the cause of climate change and pollution. With all of the scientific proof about the harm chemical-based fragrances cause, why do people insist of using them? Because they smell good? They risk themselves, their families and our environment for the sake of smelling nice?

https://stason.org/articles/wellbein...rd-Part-1.html

https://www.nontoxicrevolution.org/blog/wtf-fragrance

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-and-colognes/

Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
Yeah, I'm done with coloring my hair. Silly to even consider it, since I had Stage 1A ovarian cancer seven years ago. Big duh on my part.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 05-14-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 AM

9,854 posts, read 7,724,981 times
I dyed my hair for about ten years in my 40's. Then I went back to my "roots", growing up in the all natural, hippy, fresh Cover Girl days. I went back to being natural and have been so happy since. My lighter silver hair looks much better than the mousy brown I had before. I'm 61 and have many friends that are afraid to go natural. My hair may be grey now, but I sure don't feel that old.

My daughter is ultra sensitive to any chemicals. We dyed her hair once and it started tingling and changed her hair color within a minute, we had to quickly rinse it out, who knows what would've happened if she left it in longer.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:52 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Accurate!

If anyone is concerned about toxic chemicals being absorbed into their body they need to also ensure they do not use any chemical-based fragrance (body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, detergent, fabric softener, dish soap, air freshener, candles, etc.) because they contain toxic chemicals that adversely effect:

Neurological system
Respiratory system
Hormone-Disruption, and
the environment, to name just a few

The toxic chemicals are manufactured to be long lasting, they do not break down. They can contain carcinogenic elements resulting in cancer, birth defects, and on and on.

People want themselves, their family and the environment to be as healthy as possible. We hear that humans are the cause of climate change and pollution. With all of the scientific proof about the harm chemical-based fragrances cause, why do people insist of using them? Because they smell good? They risk themselves, their families and our environment for the sake of smelling nice?

https://stason.org/articles/wellbein...rd-Part-1.html

https://www.nontoxicrevolution.org/blog/wtf-fragrance

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-and-colognes/
Yes, I am "chemically sensitive" which has caused me many health issues in the past. But today I use few commerical products and the ones I do use are as non-toxic as I can get. I don't wear any artificial perfumes, just a iight touch of essential oils, use rosewater on my face, almost no makeup and I switched to all natural shampoo bars. For skin lotion I discovere a great line by "Skin biology" that is a bit pricey but it's fantastic and natural.

For those who say they have "colored for years" with no issues, just look at this thread - the older one gets the more accumulation you have in your tissues of toxic products. You can all of a sudden wake up one day with allergies, or even cancer from it. At some point you really just need to accept your natural color, which almost always looks better even if you don't think it does.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post

My daughter sent me some henna, but I remember when my sis tried henna, it turned her salt-and-pepper hair a weird yellow color. If anyone has good results with henna, I would really like to hear about it. I did try bright purple Manic Panic on my roots, and it’s...interesting. It did make my hair pretty soft and sleek.
I've been using henna for 9 years and my formerly natural blonde hair is a deep auburn shade. I've turned more heads than any salon redhead, plus MY color doesn't fade in less than 2 weeks, unlike the Redken cherry cola I used to use before I got smart and started to get more color for a LOT less money. $80 for one cut and color will land me a year's supply of henna, so all I end up paying now is $20 for a haircut (to an old-school stylist who actually understands henna, which the youngster stylists do not) and I do the color myself,

I use Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Twilight henna, which produces the darkest shade of red. I wouldn't use any other brand, due to the high level of quality control this company uses. They test everything before they sell it to customers, and their henna is certified pure and free from all adulterants.

It's likely your sister used some cheap product that had very little dye content, or else was stored improperly (I store my henna in the freezer, both the unmixed powder and the left over paste from a color session). There's no guarantee unless you buy from a reputable supplier that sells the pure stuff.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Can you actually get a henna that is light brown without any red or orange? It would be mixed with indigo? Where does the indigo come from?

I thought the Naturtint I was using was non toxic but apparently it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care