Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 11:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

I have naturally wavy hair, and have recently cut it from a fairly uniform length long bob to a shorter, chin-grazing textured 'do. My intent was to a. get it off my neck/back during the summer months without having to wear a bun all the time, and b. get a cut that allows my natural wave to do its thing without too much intervention from me.

For reference, for those who know wavy/curly hair types, my texture is wavy type 2B, mostly straight at the roots and falls into more defined S-shaped waves from the mid-lengths to the ends. Because of this, I get a flat-on-top look as it dries, if I air dry (which I prefer to do). I was hopeful that by losing some heavy length, and cutting in texture by varying lengths (I specifically say "texture" versus "layers," because the word "layers" brings to mind suburban soccer mom/can-I-speak-to-the-manager severe stacked bob connotations, and it's not that), this would help volumize the whole thing, and it's working...to an extent. I'm finding, even with the shorter cut and lots of the weight gone, I'm still not getting the kind of volume at the roots that I want. Nice wave and bounce and movement throughout the length, but still too flat on top.

I was wondering if anybody had any preferred styling products that help with a reliable root boost without too much messing around on my part. I'm not into a lot of tedious backcombing and smoothing over and whatnot. Just want some bounce to things, and my crown is still pretty flat, even with removing the heavy weight of longer locks. But here's where I get high maintenance. I'm pretty picky about how it feels. I still need it to be touchable and not feel like my three-year old stuck a sucker in my hair and left stiff, sticky strands. I have a hard time finding products, because I don't like ones that create a stiff and/or sticky feel.

For reference, I have some Rusk texturizing aerosol spray similar to what my stylist uses, and I strongly dislike it, because it makes my hair feel like I walked into spider webs (and it also stinks to high heaven, and I'm not a person with scent sensitivities).

So, touchable volume that's quick and easy? Pipe dream? Unattainable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 12:56 PM

51 posts, read 29,360 times
Check out the curly girl website/forum for wavies: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curly-hair/waves Plenty of ideas there--products, techniques, etc. My wavy hair varies from day to day. I haven't gone back to any kind of layered cut yet. You can always do root clipping to help when you are air drying https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...inbow-clipping. Happy waving :-)

Old 06-26-2019, 12:59 PM

I'm familiar with curly girl...root clipping works briefly, but then things flatten out again in pretty short order.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:02 PM

I've been using a sea salt spray the past few days, which is alright from a textural standpoint, but really no volumizing properties, of course.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:17 AM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Tabula, Big Sexy Hair has a root lifter called Root Pump. I like the way it feels in my hair, oddly makes it feel soft and shiny while actually adding a bit of volume. I do blow dry upside down, though. Maybe using this (i found a travel size to try it out) along with root clipping?

My hair is similar to yours, always seems to flatten on top and waves towards the bottom. I don’t come by it naturally, however. I perm once or twice a year - otherwise it’s pin straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care