Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Sounds more like her hair was butchered and probably one of the facets of her appearance that helped her have more confidence about herself and you're being pretty dismissive of her angst.

Sometimes, it's more important when you're 40 rather than 17.

Just because others have lost hair thru chemo (and I know plenty myself including family members) doesn't make her pain any less bearable.

A friend of mine is about to have both of her feet removed. Should she be told, hey.. some people lost their legs and they would be glad to only have their feet removed?

Yes, hair will grow back (if there hasn't been some other damage) but she'll likely not at this age get back what she worked years to have. It can be mortifying. Hair might not be your achilles heel, but something else may be that might not affect the OP the way it does you.

That's a silly analogy. In fact, it's no analogy at all.

Clearly, you don't understand that poster's point--that it's just hair, and will grow back. The OP's response that she's been sick for three months over this, that she doesn't know how [she's] going to get over this, that it's destroyed her, she can't take it anymore, and can't deal with this is an entirely inappropriate response to what sounds like a very bad haircut, even if it occurred at a very inopportune time in her life.

In addition, it's hard to imagine all of this being done--from cutting thick, curly, extremely long hair, to the top and bottom layers being butchered, without the OP noticing. Then there's the requirement that patrons communicate exactly what they want.

There's more to this story, too. You don't get a red, irritated scalp from a haircut--even a bad one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 08:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Sounds more like her hair was butchered and probably one of the facets of her appearance that helped her have more confidence about herself and you're being pretty dismissive of her angst.

Sometimes, it's more important when you're 40 rather than 17.

Just because others have lost hair thru chemo (and I know plenty myself including family members) doesn't make her pain any less bearable.

A friend of mine is about to have both of her feet removed. Should she be told, hey.. some people lost their legs and they would be glad to only have their feet removed?

Yes, hair will grow back (if there hasn't been some other damage) but she'll likely not at this age get back what she worked years to have. It can be mortifying. Hair might not be your achilles heel, but something else may be that might not affect the OP the way it does you.
I guess I just don't get it.

If someone were to lose two FEET, that's horrific. Changes the ability to walk, completely. Prayers that somehow, your friend will be able to have prosthesis that will allow her to be mobile. Otherwise, that's a complete game changer in her entire life and her life will be a struggle forever after.

I wonder if you brought up to your friend, what if you had a bad haircut instead of losing your two feet, what would your friend wish to have? Let's see. Bad haircut vs. losing both feet. Not that hard to choose, and a terrible analogy.

(Sorry, I'm unsympathetic about bad haircuts for full grown adults. If that ruins an adult's life, to have a bad haircut, it seems to me that might be the perfect time for her to realize how meaningless hair is).

Old 09-16-2019, 03:20 PM

13 posts, read 76,586 times
Thanks writerwife. I was majorly butchered. And I’m 47 so I’m still very sick over this.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM

To the person that keeps saying this is no big deal. My hair was slashed. Layers removed. I’m 47 and it made me feel good. I’m still very sick over this.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Try going in for a haircut saying angle the back to a v cutting g as little as possible and having your hair slashed and thinned. 90% of my hair gone and fast. It has completely destroyed me.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:08 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I'm with the OP on this one. I have long curly hair and it's a problem finding someone who knows how to trim it. Look for a deva stylist or find someone who specializes in curly hair her https://www.curlyhairartistry.com/pages/stylist-locator

They can at least give you options on best grow out method.

While I waited my cut out, I added waves and curls (with rollers, curling irons, etc) and wore a heck of a lot of updos. I also added hair growth vitamins.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:26 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvv123123 View Post
Try going in for a haircut saying angle the back to a v cutting g as little as possible and having your hair slashed and thinned. 90% of my hair gone and fast. It has completely destroyed me.
I feel for you - having such nice hair and having such a bad cut can feel like you're not the same person anymore. But I'm sorry, I have to ask: what were you doing when all this was happening? Looking at your phone? You have to have noticed the hairdresser was not doing what you requested. If your hair was that important to your happiness, you'd think you'd be watching what she was doing every minute. Especially if she took 90% of it off as you state.

Next time you take something important somewhere to be worked on, pay attention to what's being done to it. (and it WILL grow back, probably not as fast as you wish it would, though)

Old 09-18-2019, 11:29 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That's a silly analogy. In fact, it's no analogy at all.

Clearly, you don't understand that poster's point--that it's just hair, and will grow back. The OP's response that she's been sick for three months over this, that she doesn't know how [she's] going to get over this, that it's destroyed her, she can't take it anymore, and can't deal with this is an entirely inappropriate response to what sounds like a very bad haircut, even if it occurred at a very inopportune time in her life.

In addition, it's hard to imagine all of this being done--from cutting thick, curly, extremely long hair, to the top and bottom layers being butchered, without the OP noticing. Then there's the requirement that patrons communicate exactly what they want.

There's more to this story, too. You don't get a red, irritated scalp from a haircut--even a bad one.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:29 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I've had bad haircuts - we all have but I'm having a hard time with you not knowing what the hairdresser was doing. If you wanted the the ends trimmed? (not sure on that part) - and the hairdresser was messing around with all the rest of your hair, surely you could have seen that when it started and stopped it?

Old 03-25-2020, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 38,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvv123123 View Post
I had very long thick curly beautiful hair. I went to have the back angled only and left with most of my hair over 3/4 gone of my hair gone. I don’t even know how this happens. The top layers and underneath layers of my hair are gone. I’m left with the middle layer and my hair is now thin and lifeless and disgusting. This is so unfair and I’ve been sick for three months already over this. How does someone thin hair so fast and destroy it. I can’t get over this. This has destroyed me. I loved my hair.
Please let me know how your hair is doing. This has happened to me and I want justice. I am sick and can't stop crying. Had to cut all my beautiful hair because this evil psycho thinned all my hair without me knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care