Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 06:50 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times

Advertisements

Look at Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lopez. They are all over 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 07:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Victorian women kept their hair long, and looked fabulous with it. I supposed it depends on how thick one's hair still is, as one ages. Is that why so many women cut it short after 50?
Once I hit my 20's I've almost always kept my hair short because I am petite with a short neck. Long hair makes me look like Cousin "It" from the Addams Family since it is very thick and straight. When I did wear it long I always pulled it up and doing so instantly make me look better. A woman should wear her hair in a way that looks the most flattering, not necessarily what her age or current fashion dictates as long as she doesn't look like she stepped out of a different era. :-)

Old 12-09-2019, 07:18 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I don't know if that's why but I suppose it could be. In my family, most of the older women have kept their hair long enough to put up in whatever is the latest up-do. They've definitely kept up with the trends in that way and none of them look dowdy. Some of them have thinner hair but fluff it enough, whether via hot rollers, perms, curling irons or whatever, to achieve some volume.

I've always wondered where the "if you're older than ____, you must cut your hair short" mindset came from. Mine is a mid-neck bob. I can still get it up with some work. I look awful in very short hair and long drags my face down now, so I've settled on this as a compromise. I keep thinking there's a more flattering hairstyle out there that doesn't look like everyone else but I've yet to find it. Hence my fascination with all things Christopher Hopkins.
I love Christopher Hopkins, too.

In my family, all of the women go short and permed. Yuck.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Kathryn, you've posted pictures of your hair before and it's a really cute "do". I'm curious to know what products you use to maintain the style.
Thank you!

I have very coarse, thick hair, so instead of trying to find products to fill things out, I have to use products to calm things down!

I use a flat iron and argon oil. Basically that's it. I have to straighten my hair, but it's used to it now so it's sort of trained. If I don't straighten it, it doesn't have a pretty curl pattern - it just sort of folds in crazy ways. I use a good conditioner and I have a good cut. My stylist uses a razor and I like the results.

I really just flat iron it with argon oil right after I wash it (I let it air dry usually). Then I just touch it up every other day or so. I wash it about every four days. It's dry too - did I mention that? LOL

I call it water resistant. My husband calls it my pelt.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:48 PM

191 posts, read 220,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Look at Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lopez. They are all over 50.

With all their 'enhancements' they are hardly the typical over 50 woman

Old 12-10-2019, 02:15 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,042 times
Using quality hair products and keeping your hair healthy is your first step to a great style. Work with your stylist, she/he will know what’s realistic for your hair type.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:34 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I have short hair similar to Jamie Lee Curtis. It's not for everyone but it works for me because I hate to waste time futzing around with my hair.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:34 PM

191 posts, read 220,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Victorian women kept their hair long, and looked fabulous with it. I supposed it depends on how thick one's hair still is, as one ages. Is that why so many women cut it short after 50?
It may have something to do with hot flashes.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:37 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My hair is soft and fine and now at 68 is thinning. Hairstylists with their current 'layers to give it body' don't work and bobs get straggly because it is so fine and thin.

I am sorely tempted to do my hair like the English women used to do: grow it shoulder length or so, one length, then bangs, ponytail/updo. I think that may work with the (as the poster said) less fat, hooded eyes, and soft chin.

there is a lot to be said for bringing hair up rather than down.
I am 70, my hair is the same. I had bangs most of my life but grew them out several years ago. Well, I just didn't like the look so today I got the scissors and cut in some wispy bangs! I also trimmed my ends, my hair is a bit past my shoulders. OMG, took 10 years off doing this, I don't know why I waited so long! It does remind me of the English hairstyles, and the bangs really soften the look if I put my hair up, or tied back or even down with a wave at the end. Plus the bangs hide a multitude of sins.....

Old 12-10-2019, 03:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I would go more with works with your face shape and skin color than someone else's idea of how 'women over 50' should be wearing their hair.
This is true.

I've really got nothing because I don't see where there are any "rules" for people of a certain age. I was told at age 30 I should cut my hair short into a soccer mom haircut. I never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care