Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 01:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont really get hairstyles for a certain age... I think its to do with the persons face shape and hair texture more than age.. although hair does get thinner generally so best to keep away from longer hairstyles, however I would never have a flat hairdo as I dont think it flatters most faces as they age..
I agree with all of this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 12:21 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
Wow, I had not visited this thread in a while.

Eh, I understand the premise that we should cut and style hair so that its flattering, no matter your age. However, I do think age is a factor in choosing a style. I'm not defining age-appropriate (which seems to be a loaded phrase). Perhaps my post isn't clear.

However, hair does change as you age, particularly as you go thru menopause. https://www.prima.co.uk/fashion-and-...es-as-you-age/

I would just like to see images/blogs of women in their 50s + (and look it) as opposed to being inundated with images of 20-somethings or women trying to look 20-something.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:03 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
My hair changed a lot as I got older. Now that I'm in my 60's my style and products really weren't cutting it but it was too much to think about so I just kept on doing what I'd been doing for years, which was cheap grocery store shampoo & conditioner & boxed hair color at home, and a trim at Supercuts a few times a year. It was dry, frizzy, and had no shape or shine. Last week I traded my long hair for a layered cut just above my shoulders, which looks a lot better. I also bought a new shampoo & conditioner & a keratin product. Now my hair is softer and smoother after I blow dry and I'm not fighting the frizz with a straightener anymore.

I'm looking for a new salon that I can trust to keep things in good condition and maybe take over the coloring for me, but many of the shops around here have either gone out of business or lost a majority of their stylists since Covid and haven't fully recovered yet.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:45 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,688 times
Some of us cannot get height on top of our heads. The only way to get height is to cut it into short layers and my hair is very fine and doesn't react well to short layers. It's also cowlicky. If they put short layers on top, I look like Howdy Doody. Nope. Not a flattering look for me. I need some length to manage my hair.

The short versus long argument for older women is never going to get resolved. There are some of us ladies who cannot have short hair and that's just the way it is. I have to agree with the lady who said it depends on your face and hair type. I have a round face and I look ridiculous in short pixie cuts. Truly ridiculous. I have pictures of myself with short versus long hair and I look infinitely better with longer hair.

And I disagree that short hair makes someone look younger. Not the case. Short hair only emphasizes one's face. If you're an aging woman with wrinkles, short hair is NOT going to make you look younger, only make your face and wrinkles stand out more.

The goal should be looking our best not looking younger.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:51 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
My objective is to make my hair look great vs making myself appear younger.

As I get older (and grayer), my hair is getting thinner (particularly around the temples) and frizzier. My usual products just don't work. I have a closet full of products that just don't work. I don't care if people can tell I'm in my 50s because of my wrinkles. However, frizzy hair is annoying and hard to style. That I care about.

I feel like the challenges of graying and/or aging hair are ignored. It's not just thin hair, for example, it's thicker in some places and thinner in others (see my temple remark). It's not just thin, it's also frizzy.

Gray hair isn't just a lack of pigment, the hair itself behaves differently. If you have a head full of gray + blonde, it gets challenging dealing with different textures. This is particularly true if you patches of gray. Fun, fun, fun.

As for hair that flatters me: I know what hairstyles flatter my face, I have had this face shape for decades. My hair just won't cooperate.

While I'm at it, I have friends who have resorted to wearing wigs and hair pieces. They look great, but I just don't want to resort to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care