Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 10:41 AM

900 posts, read 685,224 times

Advertisements

If he will sell it to you, why not? I have had bad results at times with the drugstore brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 08:41 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
My stylist has put a lot of time and I have put a lot of money into getting my hair the blonde I want. I'll wait. Plus I am not going anywhere except for the grocery store, so what does it matter

It helps my hair is colored to allow grow out that blends nicely. I can tone it myself with my purple shampoo, so I'll be fine

Old 04-14-2020, 06:03 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
I am getting desperate as I have a doctor's appointment next week and don't want to go there looking as bad as I think I look. Anyway, I need a cut and color, as well as highlights. At this point it's the color problem that has me concerned, not the cut. I can always give myself a trim.

I called the hair salon to talk to my usual stylist who checks the salon's voice mail at intervals. Anyway, she didn't call me back, but the owner did; he offered to sell me the color that my stylist uses on my roots. He's charging $30. for this, which is not unreasonable considering the quality has proven to be extraordinary whatever the brand is. I'm debating as to whether I want to go this route or just grab a box of overall blonde color at the drugstore. Beauty supply stores are not open, as they're not "essential," as far as I know.
$30 (for something you know works) is worth not ruining your hair with box brand- that cost can really add up too, having to buy more & more to keep "fixing" it! I've been there, done that...lol

I'm sure they appreciate the business, too.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:28 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,647 times
There's no way I can replicate what my stylist does. Ok I guess I'm vain but I've been using L'Oreal magic root cover up spray for virtual meetings. It does the job in terms of covering up the gray but it makes the hair feel dry and crunchy and stains my fingers every time I touch my hair. First world problems...

Old 04-15-2020, 09:47 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
I like highlights sometimes.........& I did it myself the other day naturally with honey & distilled water. Bustle has some helpful hints for different hair colors if you're into the organic stuff & want to avoid the chemicals......because we can't get to a salon anyway.

I was scared to trim it tho........so I do my regular blow out some days or just pull it back.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:43 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
I color my own, using Madison Reed products, but my stylist gave me some salon color in February when I went to have my hair trimmed. I used that this last time and it was great.

Like others, I do need another trim though. Did my own bangs and that worked out (thank goodness!).

Old 04-16-2020, 09:02 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Something for in between colors.
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/b...=pocket-newtab

Old 04-17-2020, 03:14 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I guess I am ok because I started to let my gray come in over a year ago. My hair grows super super slowly, so it's only recently started to look semi deliberate.
Prior to that though, I mostly got it done at the salon for color, but since my hair was dark and going gray, the gray roots really showed. After about 3 weeks they would start to show a little, and by 4 weeks I was looking pretty sorry. So, I frequently would use the root touch up (clairol) to buy me another 2 weeks or so. It worked fine really and for the $6 or so for the box, it did extend how frequently I needed a salon visit. Even if it didn't totally perfectly cover the roots, it looked a lot better than showing all the roots. I did also sometimes use the loreal spray root touch up which did cover the roots very well, but I agree that it left the hair feeling really yucky.
I have seen locally that people are reaching out to their hairdressers and some are offering the color used in the salon- seems like a decent alternative.
I have never had great hair, and have always considered a wig but never acted on it. I was watching shopping tv the other day and they were presenting wigs - part of their push was just what we are all discussing now - that no one can get to the salon and this is a great time for it. (still haven't done so but it sure is enticing).

Old 04-17-2020, 05:11 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I just heard from a friend that her daughter’s hair stylist in San Francisco sent his clients a note that said, “Please do not be tempted to get a box from the drug store and color your own hair. I will gladly mix your formula for you and deliver it to your house.”

I think most women are ok just letting their hair grow more, but I’m planning to take the clippers to mr gentle this weekend, because he’s starting to look like a homeless person.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:51 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I've never had my hair professionally colored, always done it myself. I'm more concerned about my nails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care