U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 12:35 PM

527 posts, read 186,955 times

Advertisements

I’m in my mid thirties and I’ve noticed that my hairline has regressed. It actually started in my early 20s. Even earlier, I noticed there was slight regression. I have always had a little bit of that V shape.

It’s getting to the point where it affects me every time I look in the mirror. I do take minoxidil now and vitamin b 7. But does it work? Well the issue isn’t necessarily losing hair although maybe I am, but the issue is the hairline itself. And from what I understand you can’t treat that unless you have surgery.

Some just shave their head. I don’t want to do that, I’ve never done that.

Now is it okay to get a hair transplant where you ask them to make it so you don’t have a perfect full head of hair? Why am I asking that? Because I don’t want it to look way too obvious. I wouldn’t mind just having a little bit more of my hairline back. I’ve never had it perfect anyways.

Some may think this is vein. I’m not trying to look like a Brad Pitt, but I just don’t like looking at myself all the time and feeling upset. Is it the end of the world? No. But it is something that affects me because I have to look at myself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 01:29 PM

63 posts, read 5,826 times
I changed my mind when I saw one of my younger brother's friend with a hair transplant. He started losing his hair in his 20s and he is a very good looking guy and established- lawyer. I ran into him the other day. I didn't really know what it was but he looked so much younger. He had a hair transplant. He seriously looked like he was just in college at 40. I think things have definitely improved. After seeing him, I would definitely not be opposed to someone getting one.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:54 PM

527 posts, read 186,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
I changed my mind when I saw one of my younger brother's friend with a hair transplant. He started losing his hair in his 20s and he is a very good looking guy and established- lawyer. I ran into him the other day. I didn't really know what it was but he looked so much younger. He had a hair transplant. He seriously looked like he was just in college at 40. I think things have definitely improved. After seeing him, I would definitely not be opposed to someone getting one.

Nice. Was he going bald or just had was hair?

Old 06-24-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Nice. Was he going bald or just had was hair?
He had hair but it was thinning and he had a receding hairline. With the transplant he looked like he had not only a full head of hair but more than average. It looked real and natural. I think his brother had it done as well.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:06 PM

1,633 posts, read 1,386,636 times
Quote:
Any idea how much it cost ?

Old 06-24-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I don't but I can ask. I'm not sure how soon I'll get a response.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

1,633 posts, read 1,386,636 times
Quote:
I don't but I can ask. I'm not sure how soon I'll get a response.
thanks

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

13,410 posts, read 23,053,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I’m in my mid thirties and I’ve noticed that my hairline has regressed. It actually started in my early 20s. Even earlier, I noticed there was slight regression. I have always had a little bit of that V shape.

It’s getting to the point where it affects me every time I look in the mirror. I do take minoxidil now and vitamin b 7. But does it work? Well the issue isn’t necessarily losing hair although maybe I am, but the issue is the hairline itself. And from what I understand you can’t treat that unless you have surgery.

Some just shave their head. I don’t want to do that, I’ve never done that.

Now is it okay to get a hair transplant where you ask them to make it so you don’t have a perfect full head of hair? Why am I asking that? Because I don’t want it to look way too obvious. I wouldn’t mind just having a little bit more of my hairline back. I’ve never had it perfect anyways.

Some may think this is vein. I’m not trying to look like a Brad Pitt, but I just don’t like looking at myself all the time and feeling upset. Is it the end of the world? No. But it is something that affects me because I have to look at myself.
I think you should make an appointment for a consult, you may even go to a few places to find out what they would do in your situation as well as a price. From what I'm seeing on google, it could vary a lot depending on what you need done. Obviously it would be cheaper to start now then to wait until your hairline really recedes, that's more area that will need to be treated. You want to make sure you ask to see photos of actual patients they've done.

You also may want to see if there is a school/ university where they teach it because you can get it done a lot cheaper that way. I'm going to Penn University Dental in Philly for my dental work. A tooth extraction normally runs $300 to $400 per tooth near me at an oral surgeon. The University charges $100 per extraction. They also offer financing and they also charge according to your income. If you don't make much, you'd bring your income taxes with you when you meet with the financial department, they will then see if you qualify for low or no cost work.

I think that now would be the perfect time to do it especially if baldness or a receding hairline runs in your family. The sooner you get it done, the better it will end up because then you can "maintain" it as you thin more verses waiting then having it done in one shot which would be more expensive.

I've seen it done on a few reality shows. They'll take a slice of your scalp from the back of your head. They then take the hair follicles from the slice and insert them into your scalp. They'll numb your head enough that you won't feel it. Keep in mind that if there is hair on the follicle they're transplanting that it will fall out. It will take a few months for the hair to regrow from the follicle. Once it grows, you're good and shouldn't have a future issue with balding in that spot if the doctor is competant.

You know me with information. I found a few good articles for you which I'll add below. I also found a few things not covered in those article from other not so great articles so will paste those in below. One piece of advice I found was to bring headphones so that you can listen to your music while they're doing the transplant "puncturing" because otherwise you may hear it. Have you ever watched Dr Pimple Popper? The patients can hear the cysts being extracted.

From what I'm reading, male hair loss is caused when a modified form of testosterone, the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), attacks hair follicles on the scalp. The hairs produced by the affected follicles become progressively smaller in diameter, shorter in length and lighter in colour, until eventually they shrink completely and hair stops being produced. Hair needs sufficient amounts of protein, iron, zinc and B12 to keep it healthy. When it comes to shampoos, you should be looking for products engineered to remove the gunk that clogs your follicles. A shampoo like Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner by Watermans, which promises to "make your scalp the cleanest and best possible place for hair growth", will de-clog your noggin, thus helping you evade hair transplants.

Some hair replacement providers offer discounts at certain times of the year so be sure to ask if and when they have specials like buying a DNA kit is usually cheaper on Black Friday. They may have father's day specials. Once you find a place near you, you may even try googling the company name plus discounts to see if there are any online coupons.

What level of care can you expect after the operation?
What happens if something goes wrong?
How much will it cost, and is aftercare included in the price?
How many transplants has the surgeon performed and what kind of complications have they had to deal with, if any?

Hair Transplants: What to Expect

10 things no one tells you before you become a hair transplant surgeon - good article by a transplant doctor in NY. I found it by doing a search for hair transplant school which may help you find one in your state.

The Best Countries To Get A Hair Transplant

Quote:
Turkey, Lithuania, Poland, Thailand
Turkey is a top country for hair transplants for many patients. The country has several clinics, mostly in Istanbul, that offer high-quality services at much lower costs compared to countries like the United States or the United Kingdom. This is one reason why patients from the US or even other, non-European countries are choosing to travel to Turkey for this procedure.

The costs of hair transplants in Turkey vary according to the chosen procedure. These are the *** (follicular unit transplant) and the FUE (follicular unit extraction). The difference is that for the ***, a hair transplant surgeon removes a strip from which individual hair follicles will be extracted and transferred, while for the FUE, each follicle is extracted from the donor area and transplanted. The suitable type of transplant will depend on a range of factors, however, in Turkey, dedicated hair transplant clinics offer both solutions.

Hair transplants in Turkey can be two or three times lower than in other European counties. What’s more, Istanbul and other cities are also very attractive for a city break, during the recovery.
How Much Does a Hair Transplant Cost?

Quote:
The cost of hair transplants is dependent on many different factors. These include:

Where you live: The relative cost of living in the area and the number of nearby surgeons offering the procedure can affect what a surgeon charges.

The type of procedure you choose: There are two different types of hair transplants: follicular unit transplantation (***) and follicular unit extraction (FUE). Each has a different cost.

The skill of your surgeon: This is a common correlation: If your surgeon is considered to be one of the best, they may charge more. At the same time, higher rates don’t always mean superior skill, so do your research carefully.

How much hair you want transplanted: Wanting a few patches added will cost significantly less than wanting to increase hair across the entire scalp.

In addition to treatment costs, there are other potential recovery costs that you should take into account.

These include:

pain medication during immediate recovery
anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling at the surgical site
antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
The cost of a hair transplant is highly variable and typically ranges anywhere from $4,000 to $15,000. These costs are often all out of pocket. Most insurance companies consider a hair transplant a cosmetic procedure.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

3,494 posts, read 2,673,945 times
I don't think any surgical procedure is reliably painless both during and after. I don't think a hair transplant would hurt much, though.

Anyway, since it sounds like there's a lot of hair loss, I think most doctors wouldn't attempt to restore things to fullness and if possible it would be very expensive.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

7,713 posts, read 3,630,221 times
What happens when you have that hair transplant and then the hair line just keeps on receding? Do you end up with a flourishing hairline and then a big thin (or bald) area behind it? If you're meant to have just a fringe around the edges by the time you're 60, I'm not sure you're going to be able to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or