Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 07:04 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
A few things...

Disclaimer: I'm a licensed hairdresser. And, as someone said above, everyone's hair differs, so different products work for different people. Issues depend on what condition, density, products used & health (hair & physical) was before services & how it compares after coloring.

* Pics help a lot, if you care to post any (keeping your face anonymous). When you say brassy, are reds or yellows showing through? Where is the brass... all over, the ends, the new roots, the shaft only? It could be an issue with your hair not being lightened enough to bypass the red-orange color spectrum, sunlight or pigmented products used, in a nutshell.

* Lightened hair (or natural blondes/grays/whites) is more porous & absorbs more water, chemicals, product. What color hair products are you using? I mean all of them... shampoo, conditioner, hair masks, sprays, gels. You need to know the pigments of your products. Some people are surprised to open up their hairspray in a dark or very highly colored bottle, like red, pour a splash into a white or clear cup & wow, that spray is yellow. Most hairsprays are... funnily enough, most people think they're clear. If it's an aerosol, spray it on a white paper towel or tissue to see the true color.

* So much depends on texture of hair, condition, how porous your hair is left after chemicals & how much you protect it afterwards... heating implements (dryers, varying irons) & not flattening the cuticle after washing (by properly conditioning or swimming in chlorine or even salt water) will make your hair even more porous, as well as rough (if bleached or lightened).

So, it could be something as simple as your products are pink/yellow & your hair is absorbing the pigment. You had 2-wks before the color changed, so what did you do during that time? Are your towels deep red? If your hair is fragile, it could pull pigment from those if you leave your hair wrapped up to dry.

Are you in the sun more or in a sunny locale? That could pull reds/yellows if hair isn't initially pulled thoroughly through those stages. Did your hairdresser lighten your hair, then use a tint/toner for the exact shade of ash blonde you like (double processing)? Or, does she lighten with bleach to the exact shade? Or, is she using a tint only?

Which kinds of products is she using, meaning brand name?

* Those blue shampoos/conds are great for some. A number of people above use them & love them. Some need to water them down or mix them with white shampoos to dilute the pigment. For me, as a swimmer & natural blonde, my hair takes a beating from chlorine anyway, a screaming tight bathing cap doesn't help matters (I have lots of long hair to stuff into any cap so they're all too tight & it roughens the cuticle) & after awhile, to counteract the green hue my hair would take on from the pool, blue shampoo worked... for awhile, before it began pulling in the blue pigment. When I'd hold my hair against a white towel, it looked muddled gray when wet & ashy blonde when dry. That's not my natural color... it's pigments. But, my hair absorbs any pigment because the density of my hair is fine & very porous... pink, green, blue, yellow shampoos... nope, can't. They have to be white or clear.

* Best scenario, due to all involved above, eyes on your hair & feeling texture is the best way to determine course to correct. If you plan on continuing to see your stylist, call her & tell her what's happened. It might be very simple in that she needs to use another hair color brand... or if using bleach, to pull it further through red-gold stages... or to switch your styling products. She may want to see it (easier to diagnose) or have you send a selfie. But, if you'll be paying her, let her make suggestions for you & keep notes on what you tried & outcome, should you decide to visit another salon.

It's not hard to fix, but at times, it can be a bit of trial & error, especially with virgin hair. Sometimes you don't know exactly how it will react until you use chemicals & then fine tune adjustments, so don't be disheartened if it takes 2-3 tries before you find your solution.

Good luck. Your color sounds great & I'm glad you like your new shade... it will be even better when you get this out of the way. BTW, what's happening is not uncommon...just an FYI.
Great post!

I also recommend the blue shampoos for darker blondes/brunettes. I love Matrix Total Results Brass Off, been using it for years...It's very pigmented (will stain hands!, but comes off easily enough)

In my experience, the purple shampoos work better on white/gray or bleached platinum blondes. Anything under a level 7/8 definitely needs some blue to cool it down.

Purple contains elements of red, so the purple shampoos can actually add unwanted to warmth to already brassy tones. Learned that the hard way, lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 07:10 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
I use purple shampoo occasionally. I have medium blonde hair slowly turning grey. At 74 I expect to be getting more grey. Also I use L'Oreal root spray in medium blonde on the temple area that is grey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care