Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 15,984 times

Advertisements

Ok, for almost 1 yr i had been going to a stylist and having my hair colored and highlighted to about a honey blonde kinda like jessica alba's color. Then 1 month ago i went on a trip to the Philippines and had my hair rebonded and dyed. I asked for a natural brown and ended up with hair that looked pitch black. They said it would lighten but now a month later it has faded and some parts are lighter than others but its still dark and not what i wanted. I've waited a month now to color my hair cos im scared of really damaging it since i had the rebond and color done. So my question is, is it safe to get my hair highlighted again and how light can i go? I want to go back to the honey blonde or even lighter. Thnx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:25 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,284 times
Do you alway color your whole head or just roots?
I think it's a really bad idea to highlight colored hair anyway. Your hair person should probably advise something to strip your color and re-color it again with what you had before.
I'm not an expert on hair-coloring, as i always do my hair myself, and i only do roots. If i feel like changing my whole color, i'll do it ones in a very very blue moon LOL.

I hope you resolve your problem very quickly.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,028 times
I second that. You need to visit your stylist. I color and highlight my hair, knock on wood I just have good hair that can take the abuse but what should be done to get to the color you want is to strip the color and then put on the actual color that you want. That's the best way to get the true color of what you really want and yes, I've done that to my hair on more than one occasion. Good luck, I know we as women love our hair and it's tramatic to have something go wrong LOL

Old 05-20-2008, 03:59 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times
I'm no expert either but have always been under the impression that black hair will have to be stripped first in order to do any other color. You can't just color over it.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
Find a good colorist--not all stylists know how to really color hair, at least so that it looks natural! Find some folks with hair you think looks good, and ask who does theirs! Word of mouth is a great way to find someone good!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm no expert either but have always been under the impression that black hair will have to be stripped first in order to do any other color. You can't just color over it.
Well they say they used brown dye. Dont know why it came out so dark.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Find a good colorist--not all stylists know how to really color hair, at least so that it looks natural! Find some folks with hair you think looks good, and ask who does theirs! Word of mouth is a great way to find someone good!
My stylist has nice hair, and i love the way she does my hair. I guess i wanted to try something new and look what happened! lol

Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I second that. You need to visit your stylist. I color and highlight my hair, knock on wood I just have good hair that can take the abuse but what should be done to get to the color you want is to strip the color and then put on the actual color that you want. That's the best way to get the true color of what you really want and yes, I've done that to my hair on more than one occasion. Good luck, I know we as women love our hair and it's tramatic to have something go wrong LOL
I will call her and see what she says. Any idea on how much color stripping costs?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Color Stripping I would imagine would be a similar price to highlighiting. Hopefully your stylist should help you.

I did this to myself once....and called Clairol. They gave me a color dye that would help 'lighten' the hair. It worked wonders!!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryhoney88 View Post
I will call her and see what she says. Any idea on how much color stripping costs?

Are you sitting down? it's going to be pricey, I'm not going to lie about it. When I did that before, (I had black hair) and my stylist did it, the cost came to about $200. Granted, my salon prices have gone up and you will probably not pay that much but just be prepared, a good salon (I mean we are talking your hair here, LOL) will do a great job but you will pay for it.

Just to get my hair colored and highlighted it's about $150

Good luck though.. I wouldn't recommend going with the bargain prices for hair colorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care