Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM

21 posts, read 86,252 times

Advertisements

celebrities usually laminate their hair its a process using chemicals making you hair look like the pantine girls all girls in the commercials who do hair have this done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 06:03 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
An employee told me about using coconut oil in the hair and skin. I tried it after she bugged me to death about it and WOW!

Put the oil in dry hair, let it sit fot about 5 minutes, wash well with shampoo ( I usually wash it twice) and you are done! It is amazing.

Be careful leaving the shower or tub...it is very slick.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:05 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzeehouse View Post
celebrities usually laminate their hair its a process using chemicals making you hair look like the pantine girls all girls in the commercials who do hair have this done
I never knew that! How is it done? Can a regular hair dresser laminate it? I learn something new every day!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzeehouse View Post
Laminate is a coating. Does that mean it adds protection to the hair, gives it more body and makes it stronger? How do they do this?
Does it wear off? How does it affect hair dye?

This is neat. Usually, when something 'new' comes out, it ends up being some old tired concept with a new name. I have never heard of this.

Please tell us more.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:58 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,469 times
Default Update on using conditoner to "shampoo"

Well, about a week or so ago I tied using conditioner for "shampoo" on my oily hair as suggested by someone else. I have experiemented with this and have had great results. As I mentioned before, I have been shampooing my hair every day for almost my whole life, even though I figured it probably wasn't good for your hair to do that I felt like I just was not "clean" unless I did it. Now I'm shampooing w/shampoo every other day and do the conditioner "shampoo" on the other days. I've been rinsing with cold water too as others have suggested. It works great! I tried going three days without the real shampoo, but my hair just felt "gunky" all day, so I think I'll continue with the every other day, then maybe later on I'll try to go further. Thanks for all the info!

On another subject, I've also been using the Sabino Hair products, the brand mentioned on another thread, but different products. As I needed volume and holding power in my hot humid climate! I'm using their volumizer and finishing spray. I LOVE it! My hair has never held volume for so long and without feeling stiff. The folks at Sabino are awesome to deal with and extremely prompt. Love them!!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
Well, about a week or so ago I tied using conditioner for "shampoo" on my oily hair as suggested by someone else. I have experiemented with this and have had great results. As I mentioned before, I have been shampooing my hair every day for almost my whole life, even though I figured it probably wasn't good for your hair to do that I felt like I just was not "clean" unless I did it. Now I'm shampooing w/shampoo every other day and do the conditioner "shampoo" on the other days. I've been rinsing with cold water too as others have suggested. It works great! I tried going three days without the real shampoo, but my hair just felt "gunky" all day, so I think I'll continue with the every other day, then maybe later on I'll try to go further. Thanks for all the info!

On another subject, I've also been using the Sabino Hair products, the brand mentioned on another thread, but different products. As I needed volume and holding power in my hot humid climate! I'm using their volumizer and finishing spray. I LOVE it! My hair has never held volume for so long and without feeling stiff. The folks at Sabino are awesome to deal with and extremely prompt. Love them!!
Some stylist on tv claimed that model's hair, if only shampooed with no other preparation on it, would look better the day after they had washed it, when it had a bit of dirt to give it more body. I find that this is the case with my hair.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:15 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Some stylist on tv claimed that model's hair, if only shampooed with no other preparation on it, would look better the day after they had washed it, when it had a bit of dirt to give it more body. I find that this is the case with my hair.
No kidding? I gotta do "something" w/my hair and get it wet etc...I have short, straight hair and when I get out of bed in the a.m. it looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket!!! LOL, LOL But seriously, when I at least wet and put conditioner on it in the shower w/out the shampooing w/shampoo, I'm finding it looks pretty good!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all of you. I don't need to condition my hair and have lots of old conditioner. Now I have a use for it. Yup, that cold water seems to be the best for removing the excess gunk from your hair. Maybe traces of the shampoo or condtioner get trapped in the cuticle and when the cold water closes the cuticle the gunk gets removed.

Come to think of it, we do a cold water rinse on clothing, too. Same principle?

Dishwashing - hot water seems to make the soap foam up. Cold water seems to strip it off without foaming so much.
If your hair is already tending to be greasy I would not condition with oils.
I'm glad the conditioner/shampoo worked. There are new shampoos on the market which are non-sudsing. The suds are caused by that sodium laurel-something which also strip color and perhaps the sheen, as well.
Also, keep in mind that over time if your initial results wane use a harsh shampoo a few times to strip off any residue.
I, too, have fine hair and will try the conditioner only. Thank you for the suggestion, whoever suggested it.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:09 AM

96 posts, read 374,399 times
I second the cool water rinse idea. I have been doing this for a final rinse for years and my hair is very looong and healthy. You could also try doing an ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) rinse, mix about a 1/4 cup ACV to 1 cup of very warm water and follow with a cold water rinse. Of course everyone's hair is different and will react differently to these methods, but it is worth a try. If you would like, you can Google longhairgypsyrose.weebly for more info on my hair care tips. Good Luck.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:59 PM

19,714 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
if only shampooed with no other preparation on it, would look better the day after they had washed it, when it had a bit of dirt to give it more body. I find that this is the case with my hair.
This is how my hair is...

It looks better the less I wash it.

My hair is long and very thick (plus a bit wavy) but I actually have the problem of too much volume.
So after I wash it, it gets all crazy as it is drying...

It definitely falls better the next day or few days afterwards...

Lately I've been doing the organic coconut oil treatment which has given me wonderful results in taming the waves & thickness the day after, and haven't had to resort to my usual flat ironing process.

Praise the lord!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care