Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,188,583 times

Advertisements

When I was little my hair was long, pigtails or braids always, and headaches trying to sleep in pink rollers. As a teenager, it was curling irons and banana clips. The 90's I quit it all and opted for short hair. "Shower and shake" with a little hairspray.

A few months ago I wondered how long my hair would get if I hadn't cut it through the summer. Well, I made the mistake of saying this wonder out loud and to a good friend who is now holding me to not cutting my hair.

The question is: What do I do with shoulder length hair now? Anything longer than 5 minutes is too much like work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,118,472 times
If you're going to just try growing it out, I would definitely look into a pair of sheers and layering the hair first. Yes, technically you are cutting it. However, layered hair allows you to do the wash 'n shake and still look good.

My hair is just a tad below the shoulders, so:

With my hair, sometimes I'll wash my hair and put it into a loose braid before bed. In the morning, I take it out and brush it gently. You get that nice wavy hair effect that is even..... and takes little to no effort.

Another idea can easily bring years of youth to your face: Split the hair right down the middle and put into pigtails (Not tight though!) at your ears. Or just ponytails if you want to cut another step out.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 AM

That's a good suggestion with a loose braid. I'll have to try that maybe with a few. My hair is somewhat thin, straight with a little body though. It is "scrunchable" when wet and with a lot of hairspray. I usually twist my hair up into a clippie, but that's like having short hair though.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
If you have thin hair and don't want to style it, a short cut is probably better! And, since you wear it up no matter the length, what are you growing it for???

Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you have thin hair and don't want to style it, a short cut is probably better! And, since you wear it up no matter the length, what are you growing it for???
It isn't that I don't want to style it, just seeking simple styles that will look nice

Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,118,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
It isn't that I don't want to style it, just seeking simple styles that will look nice
Oh, I forgot the secret ingredient for the styles I mentioned earlier! Multi-colored hair. Not multi colored as in blatant obvious differences... but here's what I've done:

Dyed hair a Red-brown, added lighter red-brown highlights, and added black cherry lowlights. I also think I put some soft black in underneath. In the office, if I wear my hair down or in a plain ponytail, you cannot tell the differences. However, once the hair is in a braid, it looks gorgeous. Also, when it's wavy, you can see a touch of difference here and there, but it blends really well.

And because all of the high/low lights are very near in color to the original color, it's not high maintenance at all. In fact, I did this about 3 or 4 months ago and it still looks great.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM

So I opted for simply a new look without losing the current length. Since my natural color has many highlights already, I went a little darker and a lot more redder! I think this is a look I'll be complimented on instead of if I went with cutting shorter.

Thank you Kuharai, for the suggestion of coloring.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,947,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
So I opted for simply a new look without losing the current length. Since my natural color has many highlights already, I went a little darker and a lot more redder! I think this is a look I'll be complimented on instead of if I went with cutting shorter.

Thank you Kuharai, for the suggestion of coloring.
Sounds nice.

I am going a bit longer than usual. A few layers and very long bangs.
Did you see meryl streep(sp??) in the recent musical (name ??)
I thought her hair looked great.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 PM

My hair is so soft and smooth feeling. shiny too!

Edit: it appears kelly237 and I were posting at the same time.

No matter my hair length, I have to have bangs just to my eyebrows, otherwise I'll go insane. (lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care