Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:02 AM

298 posts, read 715,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I used to do hair...the thing that always can convey EXACTLY what style you want is a picture. There is a big difference in trying to tell someone what you want verses showing them exactly what you want.
I have brought in many pictures to many different hair stylists, and most of the time the hair stylists were still not able to give me the cut I wanted.

I think most hair stylists truly aren't skilled enough to recreate cuts. They probably rotate maybe a few diff haircuts they are used to doing and then edit a bit to try to get closer to what the client wants.

I had a hairstylist I liked (about 12 years ago) and went to her for a few haircuts. She was of the few good stylists in our city, and I think her ego got out of control. She started ignoring what the customers wanted and then her staff started quitting and she couldn't keep anyone on staff. Then she went out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 04:25 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
I have brought in many pictures to many different hair stylists, and most of the time the hair stylists were still not able to give me the cut I wanted.

It depends what the person's hair in the picture is like. If you have coarse wavy hair then your cut won't look the same as someone who has baby fine hair and vice versa. When I take a pic to my stylist she tells me if it will work or not.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:31 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post

I think most hair stylists truly aren't skilled enough to recreate cuts. They probably rotate maybe a few diff haircuts they are used to doing and then edit a bit to try to get closer to what the client wants.

I had a hairstylist I liked (about 12 years ago) and went to her for a few haircuts. She was of the few good stylists in our city, and I think her ego got out of control. She started ignoring what the customers wanted and then her staff started quitting and she couldn't keep anyone on staff. Then she went out of business.
I'm with you on this one, HSVbulldawg. I just treated myself to a high dollar salon visit for Christmas and I had a few pictures to choose from. The stylist glanced at them and then did what she wanted. I'd love to find just one stylist who actually listened to me. I have wavy hair that frizzes easily. I hate razor cuts. So guess what she did? I told the last stylists I did NOT want bangs because I have a pretty bad cowlick. Guess what she did? It's like you have to pick someone with limited skill who will listen and hope that she knows how to do what you want or choose someone skilled who will just ignore you and do what he/she wants.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:15 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
Do you really have to pay more to get a decent hair cut? I have recently spent an arm and a leg at higher priced salons and my hair has never looked worse. I was happier when I went to Regis at the mall. The current hair cut I have is one of the worst ever, from a "better" Aveda salon here in Salt Lake.
This all depends on where you go. My mom went to a high end salon and had her hair done by the owner, who royally screwed up her hair. The other stylists in the salon were much better and far cheaper! I love my hair stylist and he usually charges me around $250 for highlights and a hair cut. I recently found a new guy that is about half the cost and an hour closer and does hair just as well as my other sytlist. The new stylist is not in an upscale salon but does a great job so I'm sticking with him for now. Just find someone you like who you think does a good job and stick with that person.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 PM

11 posts, read 30,548 times
I have been going to Supercuts for years..I'm really not fussy, and I describe in detail what I want my hair to look like. Mostly successful. There is one "stylist" who I've been using for years who is finally trained, and my hair works like I want it to almost all of the time. When it doesn't (usually too long around the edges) I walk back in a couple of days later and say "fix this!" And she does. And at no charge. She is the manager of this very small place, and has years of experience in much larger and pricier establishments.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I have been to salons and cheaper chains in NY and FL. I have gotten good cuts and bad cuts from both places. The best color job I ever got was when I was in a hair show for Loreal years ago. I loved it but I could never afford that back then,

Now I am in a rural area. Our old grader's wife has her own hair salon. She charges $14.00 to cut my hair and she does a great job. She is one of the few that stops what she is doing to listen to what I would like. I really appreciate her truly listening and doing what I ask. For me she is great. Now if I wanted a new trendy style from NYC she wouldn't have a clue and neither would I.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
I love my hair stylist and he usually charges me around $250 for highlights and a hair cut.

I thought I paid a lot to my stylist! Around $150 for highlights, cut and style, with tip, and she's a genius with color.
However...I have watched a $250 guy work, and he did the same cut on everybody. And I've seen a $20 haircut from a Regis-type salon that looked WAY better (that stylist didn't stay there long!).

Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
not sure i used to go to supercuts. but then i went downt to walmart and got a 10 dollar clipper set. been giving myself my own burr for years.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not sure i used to go to supercuts. but then i went downt to walmart and got a 10 dollar clipper set. been giving myself my own burr for years.

We tried that once for my husband until we heard the zzzip.. right in front. Oops. He wore a hat for a week. Now he goes where I go and his is only $8.00 three times a year.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Okay, I understand that its the stylist and not the salon BUT>>>>

why would a highly skilled stylist work at greatclips or supercuts?

They don't. Highly skilled artists may not only work at high end salons, they may occasionally work at mid range salons as well, but if they are talented they would not be settiling for 14.95 a cut.

I have gone to one of those chain places a couple times in my life when i was extremely desperate, and lets just say, never again. I will pay $40 for a decent cut any day.

I thought the same thing, but a recent dip in my income made it impossible for me to continue getting my short hair cut at $65 a pop every five or six weeks. In desperation, I went to the woman at Supercuts who did a good job on my son after I butchered his hair trying to save money. I am pretty happy with her. She is Ukranian and has been at the shop for a couple of years. There are several other Ukranians working there, so she probably likes the comradery.

Also I think that she stays BC she isn't a talker- no small talk with the clients-no fluffing your hair as you describe what you want. Getting my hair cut with her isn't an experience, ya sit down, shut up and pay $14 when it's over. But I am overall pretty happy with her work and, including tip, I save the difference between $78 and $20 a cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care