Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

I know we live in a society where people are trying to delay getting older. I have no fear of getting older but I really don't want to dye my hair forever.
I am almsot 42 so it won't be for awhile before I stop dying my hair.

I'm thinking early to mid 60's when I stop dying and let my hair go natural. What about anyone else?

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:00 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
My wife (44) stopped dying her hair a few years ago. To me, she looks even more beautiful now that she has gone natural - gray wisps and all.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:11 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Depends on the color and how much gray. Blondes are lucky because the color can be streaked in with the gray. Black hair often looks too harsh if dyed. It's also harder to gradually change to natural.

My husband has had the most beautiful silver grey hair for years. If mine were that color, I would show it off. My hair just got yucky ashy grey, and then dirty grey. Being a blonde, I use blonde rinses well into my 60s, and then I decided it was time to just let it fade out to gray.

Sometimes it helps to think ahead and start streaking the hair so that the gray roots aren't as obvious. You really can't put a definite age on it. Some will turn gray quickly and others will take years.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
My wife (44) stopped dying her hair a few years ago. To me, she looks even more beautiful now that she has gone natural - gray wisps and all.

That's nice. Tell your wife I said "you're a keeper". My husband would be fine with it also. He loves me tons lol.

Lisa

Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
I'm 38 and not quite ready to let go yet. I don't think a person my age should have this much gray hair...LOL. DH grayed very early, as did his mother. He is probably 50-50 now, maybe even 60-40. Maybe when I am 40 I will just let it go natural.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 AM

365 posts, read 1,252,812 times
My MIL's hair turned completely silver befoe she was 40; it was absolutely stunning.

My hair started turning gray when I was about 45, and I started dyeing it. Problem was, my hair wouldn't take the color. The color rarely lasted more than two weeks, and it was costing me a lot of $$$ to keep it up. (For about three years, I went from salon to salon, looking for someone who knew how to do this right with the correct products.) Plus, as the color faded, it looked absolutely awful and would turn orangey. Finally, after one particularly bad "orange" experience, I just gave up dyeing it. I am so glad I did. It's so much easier to take care of, not as expensive, and my gray is coming in in streaks, so I get comments and compliments all the time. I just don't have the time or desire to stress over hair.

Last edited by CarolL; 09-23-2008 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: correct sp

Old 09-23-2008, 10:09 AM

220 posts, read 1,109,198 times
I decided fifty was the cutoff for me. I was tired of spending a couple of hours in the salon almost every month. With my colorist's help and about eighteen months later I was color free. I don't think I could have just stopped cold tukey because I had so much grey so having an expert's help was the way to go.

I'm saving some major bucks too, between the root touch ups, the highlights and tips it was $100 to $200 every five weeks. I get compliments all the time and most of all I love it!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Depends on the color and how much gray. Blondes are lucky because the color can be streaked in with the gray.
Some will turn gray quickly and others will take years.
This describes my situation.
I am almost 54, dishwater blonde, and have a small sprinkling of grey which is gradually increasing. I get a partial highlighting done 3-4 times a year.
I tell the stylist not to cover up the grey.
I figure at some point I'll just end up quitting the highlighting and go totally grey, but if I end up like my mom, this could take a good long while. She was salt-and-pepper when she died at 64.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:14 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
I hope I am as lucky to have the beautiful salt and pepper hair my grandmother did. I have gray streaks now and often get stopped and asked where I get my gray streaks done. You should see the looks on their faces when I tell them mother nature.

Personally I would be happier to see more moms going natural than keep dying their hair to keep the 'hip' look. Not stopping taking care of yourselves but come on gray hair is part of aging and it is a crown we should wear proudly. I know I earned every gray hair on my head from just raising the kids!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,957 times
I have dark brown hair and have been getting grays since i was in my 20's. I can't afford to go to the hair dresser every month for a color and a cut, so once a month I buy the dark brown root color.

Last edited by Leilani Vasquez; 09-23-2008 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care