Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,188 times

Advertisements

I have my hair cut in long layers, (see member photo) a few weeks ago I began using hot rollers and really liked how it came out. It would last all day unless I was caught in the rain. Now however it barely lasts an hour. I don't understand this, it can't be any more than 1/4 inch longer then when I first started doing this so that can't be it. What is causing this and how can I get the curl to stay in? I have always set it dry. Any good products to maybe spray in first? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 05:03 PM

Oh come on, someone must have an idea!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:47 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
your hair is really pretty. I looked at your pic
I dunno why it won't hold the curls now. Are you keeping it conditioned? Are the hot rollers getting hot enough? Try using hair products to help hold the curls in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
I have my hair cut in long layers, (see member photo) a few weeks ago I began using hot rollers and really liked how it came out. It would last all day unless I was caught in the rain. Now however it barely lasts an hour. I don't understand this, it can't be any more than 1/4 inch longer then when I first started doing this so that can't be it. What is causing this and how can I get the curl to stay in? I have always set it dry. Any good products to maybe spray in first? Thanks.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
Maybe your hair has some build up in it. You could try spraying some root booster in; John Frieda makes a pretty good one. Regular mousse could help too. Hairspray could help. They started carrying ElNett at Target. It is a European hairspray that has a cult following. I like it, though it is expensive, about $12 a can.

Quote:

Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,290 times
I too have long layers, and sometimes my hair ends hold a curl sometimes they don't. Product build up is probably a culprit, as someone mentioned. Lightly spraying with a hairspray or curl holding product before you put in the rollers will probably help, but I think it is probably not the best for your hair, can cause dryness and damage if done alot.
Your hair looks really thick and heavy, so I'll bet it takes a long time to set.Do you leave the curls to sit a long time before you brush through them or brush right away? Try pinning them with big clips as they cool, then lightly brush. For me, and my hair is fine, the weather really affects my hair.Good luck, your hair is very pretty!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:11 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Use hairspray! Mine "falls" in humidity, too---rain, wind, humid conditions--all cause my curl to fall. Hairspray (some "flexible" brand) works wonders!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:38 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
IF you had more layers, it would be much easier...You need to use product when using rollers. There is a great Redken line out. Spray Starch 15 or Hot Sets 22...Fantastic line!

Redken - hot sets 22

Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 PM

Thank you all so much, I'm going to try all your ideas. I suspect the Redken hot sets 22 will work well! I'll let you all know!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:12 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times
Quote:

Try Heat Tamer Spray by Tre Semme. It works wonders for me. Seems to make the set last longer. I use it before blow-drying and on each section as I roll my hair.

Also, try pillow rollers, sleeping on them overnight.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:05 AM

I combined all the hints that you guys gave me and not only did the curl last all day, it was still pretty wavy when I woke up this morning! Thank you all so much, and Merry Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care