Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 21,869 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

New to the forum and have just two quick questions....

1. My scalp is fairly dry, and at the very top of my head my hair is extremely dry (much dryer than any other spot). Is there anything I can do about this? I've tried diff dry scalp shampoo's/conditioners but nothing REALLY helps.

2. I have some little 'baby hairs' at the front of my hair that for some reason always come back. Anyway to get rid of these? Gelling my hair helps to hide them, but I'd prefer to rid them completely. I've tried to cut them with scissor but have been told not to do that (and they always come back anyways) 'm in my mid 30's, didnt think I'd still get these!!

Any help would be MUCH appreciated....Thank you very much

jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 02:40 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,419,280 times
When you say your scalp is dry, do you mean you have a problem with dandruff?

Dandruff and itchiness are not the same as dry scalp.

Also, that dryness in your hair may be because you are going bald. Nothing to be alarmed about. All men lose their hair and baldness is fashionable. However, as you start to lose hair, the texture of the hair changes so that it can feel very dry and frizzy at the ends.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,214,070 times
Baby hairs are just new hairs coming in to replace the old ones that fell out. Gel them and let them be unless you are going for the bald look.

Have you tried unscented, baby shampoo or SLS free shampoo?

Rub coconut oil onto your scalp/hair before bed lightly. It should help.

It takes at least 30 days for the skin to turn over with any product change and see a real difference.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,539,309 times
what are you shampooing with and how often?

You can always find a salon and get a conditioning treatment or better yet,,,a scalp treatment. They will massage your scalp with great products...You may want to call around to beauty schools for this...it will be much cheaper and you will get a student that wants practice...which means a longer massage for your scalp!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM

26,163 posts, read 48,881,878 times
At least you GOT hair.....

Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 21,869 times
Been using Graham Webb Silk Shampoo and Conditioner with the occasional conditioning treatment.

I don't think I'm going bald (atleast I hope not!), I have a lot of hair, and very thick hair.

I shampoo/condition prob 6x/week.

I have not tried baby shampoo, what would this do to the hair exactly?

Thanks a lot for the responses! Keep them coming with more suggestions if possible....I might go to a professional salon and see what they say.

WIll most salons give you a free one time consultation?

Jason

Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,214,070 times
Baby shampoo is gentle. You sound like you are having an allergic reaction to your product OR your product is too hash for what you shampoo with. The baby shampoo will be least likely to give you reactions or strip your hair.

How long is your hair? If its about 2-3 inches you don't need to condition it. The proper shampoo will prevent the drying thing by just not stripping it too much. For now you may want to get johnson & johnson "no more tangles" just so it can be cared for if it is damaged dry. Its also very gentle. But try to keep it off the scalp by spraying it on the comb to run it through. Its a leave in mild conditioner. Its also in the baby product lane usually.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,539,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason9922 View Post
Been using Graham Webb Silk Shampoo and Conditioner with the occasional conditioning treatment.

I don't think I'm going bald (atleast I hope not!), I have a lot of hair, and very thick hair.

I shampoo/condition prob 6x/week.

I have not tried baby shampoo, what would this do to the hair exactly?

Thanks a lot for the responses! Keep them coming with more suggestions if possible....I might go to a professional salon and see what they say.

WIll most salons give you a free one time consultation?

Jason

You need to wash less...If you switch to a gentle balsam shampoo (like baby shampoo) you can wash everyday. It is very gentle and will not strip out your natural oils from your scalp. You can also go to a GNC and get a small bottle of Jojoba oil...Massage that into your scalp and let it sit on there for a good 20 mins. Put a bag on it if you can...rinse, wash and rinse with cool water...

Dry scalp is often caused by over washing, harsh shampoo and water being to hot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care