Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,573 times

Advertisements

Here's the secret...ready.... WORK WITH YOUR HAIR.

Go to a salon you trust. Find a style/cut that works with the type of hair you have. Let the stylist know just how much work you are willing to do on a daily basis for upkeep. They should take into account your lifestyle and the shape of your face. Talk to them, they are the experts!

Both my mother and grandfather were stylists, so I know of what I speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Let the stylist know just how much work you are willing to do on a daily basis for upkeep.
What if you're not willing to do anything at all? I don't think that's possible for some people. I think the point of this topic is, wouldn't it be nice to get out of the shower and not do anything at all with your hair? Just let it air dry and don't touch it, don't put anything in it?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
What if you're not willing to do anything at all? I don't think that's possible for some people. I think the point of this topic is, wouldn't it be nice to get out of the shower and not do anything at all with your hair? Just let it air dry and don't touch it, don't put anything in it?
This is how I like to cut people's hair. I don't know what I am really doing formally. I just play and trim. It takes longer for me to do this than the speed of a salon but I really see how the hair lays and springs with a slow cut better than a fast cut. I like to use product on myself because it just looks more finished.

Good hair starts on your dinner plate though. Without that you are presenting a challenge to any hair cut.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Here's the secret...ready.... WORK WITH YOUR HAIR.

Go to a salon you trust. Find a style/cut that works with the type of hair you have. Let the stylist know just how much work you are willing to do on a daily basis for upkeep. They should take into account your lifestyle and the shape of your face. Talk to them, they are the experts!

Both my mother and grandfather were stylists, so I know of what I speak.
Though I tend to be the "out of the shower and go" type, you are so correct about finding a style that works for you! I have very limp fine hair, not wavy but not straight either that always has a part. For YEARS every stylist I had tried to give it body and get rid of the part using round brushes, blow drying techniques, layers, etc. I could never replicate what they did and to even come close took an hour. Finally, I found a stylist that gave me a simple cut, parted on the side, not layered but textured, and I can make it look great using a flat iron. I can just dry it normal with no round brush and it looks okay, if I want I can straighten it and it holds all day.

Unfortunately I have moved and need a new stylist; the first one I tried in my new city gave me horrid layers, and dried it with the round brush even though I said not to! Seriously, we must end the round brush obsession!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
When I get my hair cut, I tell the stylist how much work I am willing (or, more to the point, NOT willing) to do on a daily basis and then we work out a cut. I don't want to have to style it with a brush or foaming and sticky chemicals every day.

"Wash and mess" has always been my favorite hair style. Of course, for years I had hair with enough of a curl and wave to it that "wash and mess" looked great, and it could always be styled for special occasions. Now that my hair is silver, straight and very, very heavy and coarse, I haven't figured out what the equivalent hair style is....

Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
It would be great to have a hair structure for wash and let it dry. But I have very dry hair so I need to blow dry it over a large brush or put it on heated rollers. The effort is only necessary after the washing. The style lasts as long as to the next washing and that's okay. But I have pretty long hair so the blow drying is a real workout for my arms (is that a pro or a con ???). If I didn't do this it would look like straw and it doesn't matter how much conditioner or what not I put into them. At least the style lasts for quite a time and I don't need to do this every day!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I'm a wash and go person.

But my hair is cut to do just this. I get out of the shower, pat it dry some, work in some gel, run my fingers thru it and go.

After a couple of hours, it's dry and I run a brush thru it.

Make up, only during the week or special occations on the weekends.

It takes me about 5 minutes to put it on.

As I get older the less high mantainence I get.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
It would be great to have a hair structure for wash and let it dry. But I have very dry hair so I need to blow dry it over a large brush or put it on heated rollers. The effort is only necessary after the washing. The style lasts as long as to the next washing and that's okay. But I have pretty long hair so the blow drying is a real workout for my arms (is that a pro or a con ???). If I didn't do this it would look like straw and it doesn't matter how much conditioner or what not I put into them. At least the style lasts for quite a time and I don't need to do this every day!
Try playing around with some different hydrating shampoo/conditioner/leave-ins. Frizz is from dry hair. Are you ethnic at all? You may have better luck with AfroAmer geared products if you have a natural wire spring to your hair. Leave in conditioners have killed my frizz forever. Try Aussie. Pantene makes one thats too heavy for my hair but maybe it would work on yours.

Do you use a large toothed comb in the shower to comb the conditioner through? Also a must.

If you want to gets a showerhead water filter that will also help.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post

As I get older the less high mantainence I get.
Yes, I think this is our just reward for surviving all the other years!

This is a cute smiley I found that fits nice with this forum.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's exactly what I mean. I used to do the whole to perm or not to perm, to color or not to color, cut or grow it out, bangs or not to bangs....

Now I know that I can find dignity in the silvery strands and they look GOOD against my naturally dark color (stopped highlightening--Cold Turkey!). By using the correct shampoo and conditioner I have the luxury of wash and wear because my hair is healthy and getting what it needs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care