Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times

Advertisements

Ladies, who of you can't stand the thought of curling, blow drying or straightening your hair day after day?

I have natural waves and at the moment I wear my hair longer than in a long time. So it is much more work to blow dry them over a large round brush or put them on heated curlers.

Isn't it unfair that we always have to look good? TV and other medias always show us perfect made-up actresses, models, etc which makes us try to look good for work, for your partner, when going out and on every other occasion.

I know girls who don't go out without make-up (not even to bring the garbage bags out ). Isn't it a shame?

Why can't all of us have a personal hairdresser, make-up artist and God knows what else a woman who wants to look good really needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 AM

473 posts, read 714,968 times
thats why they make places like maine!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
thats why they make places like maine!
Hmm, haven't been to maine yet. Don't they have that problems there??? Sorry, I'm from Germany so I really don't know what you mean

Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Why? Well, first, if you really, really look good, you don't have to worry about developing a good personality or learn to be a nice person. You can be a real dumb bi#ch and still have a following if you look good enough......think about Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, etc.
And everyone wants to be ogled and leered at, don't they!

Seriously, I know what you mean. I think as long as women spend as much time and money on their hair, makeup, clothes as they do now, they will NEVER be considered on a par with men in the business or professional world. It's sort of a dumb thing to do.

Everyone should want to look well. But that doesn't mean that everything has to be just right, perfect, flawless and better than the real woman that's under all the hair and makeup

Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Ladies, who of you can't stand the thought of curling, blow drying or straightening your hair day after day?

I have natural waves and at the moment I wear my hair longer than in a long time. So it is much more work to blow dry them over a large round brush or put them on heated curlers.

Isn't it unfair that we always have to look good? TV and other medias always show us perfect made-up actresses, models, etc which makes us try to look good for work, for your partner, when going out and on every other occasion.

I know girls who don't go out without make-up (not even to bring the garbage bags out ). Isn't it a shame?

Why can't all of us have a personal hairdresser, make-up artist and God knows what else a woman who wants to look good really needs?
My hair has always been my worst feature and to be honest, I have never had the inclination or patience to fiddle with it. I wash it and throw it into a rubber band and forget about it. I do blow dry nor otherwise mess with my hair other than wash and brush and that is it. I could care less what models do or what popular culture, mainstream media thinks I should look like.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 AM

473 posts, read 714,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Hmm, haven't been to maine yet. Don't they have that problems there??? Sorry, I'm from Germany so I really don't know what you mean
sorry- maine is a state that some folks think is a bit backwards when it comes to fashion and beauty (in that most of us arent obsessed with it) was just a joke. i live in a town where its not uncommon to see people at the post office in their jammies, or dropping their kids off at school that way. we can do it up if we have to- but we dont care if you dont.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Why? Well, first, if you really, really look good, you don't have to worry about developing a good personality or learn to be a nice person. You can be a real dumb bi#ch and still have a following if you look good enough......think about Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, etc.
And everyone wants to be ogled and leered at, don't they!
Paris Hilton isn't even that attractive though. She's not ugly but I never saw what some people think is oh-so beauty about her.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
Most days I just put my hair back in a wet bun, it's really not worth losing 45 min. of my day to dry and straighten it. Although, as I am approaching 30 I feel like it's less and less appropriate... just doesn't have that hippyish charm it had when I was 17, haha. I usually wear at least foundation and powder, but I'm not compulsive about needing it before I leave the house and would skip it entirely if I had even skin tone and in the summer when I'm tan.

On the subject of how much more time/money it takes women to get ready than men, I read an interesting piece about that in relation to Hillary Clinton/Barrack Obama during the primaries... wish I could find the article. The quantified how much longer it takes females to get dressed/styled than men and the time was HUGE over the course of the year-long campaign. During a yearlong 24/7 campaign it added up to much less time for Hillary! (btw, I am not a rabid Hillary fan, so don't start that debate, lol!) I do think it is criminal that women are not only paid less but expected to put SO much more time and money into appearances than men when it comes to the workplace especially. No thanks.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times
That's why I prefer short hair. less maintenance for me.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I like to get ready. Its sorta of meditative...

I went through a bum phase and never again. I cant stand the way it feels or the way people treat you compared to looking "put together".

I don't take hours to get ready. If I really had to I can be fully dressed,showered and finished in 15 minutes. Everything is still done except heat styling looks that take a long time. (flat iron takes me 20 minutes to get through all the layers and have it perfectly bumpless)

Revamp to make it faster.
Get a higher watt hair dryer
Replace old heat styling tools
Use the proper brushes

It only takes two minutes to pop on some tinted moisture and a lick of mascara and liner.

I would never call wanting to take care of what you look like a "shame".?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care