Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

I am 35, and I haven't found any grey hairs yet, other than a few that appeared during my last pregnancy, when I was 30. My hair is medium brown, but each strand is typically striped with brown, red, or blonde. My hair is not straight--it's kind of wavy and fluffy. A little while ago, while looking in the bathroom mirror, I noticed the end of one of my curls looked silvery white. I pulled it out to get a better look, and it does look like the bottom couple of inches are white. I think I might have a couple more of these too.

Is this normal? I thought grey hair grew from the scalp ... can a previously pigmented strand of hair go white beginning at the bottom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
This could be from being exposed to a few days of intense sun shine a few months ago. You probably wouldn't have noticed at the time, but the color would damaged enough that it gradually faded. Are the affected curls in an area that hasn't been cut lately?

Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I sometimes find a hair or two that is silver/white on the end half and coal black at the root half. I have dark blond/light brown hair! Weird: I joke that I'm becoming Cruella DeVille

Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,674 times
I was wondering about this too. I am 33 and there is one section of my hair that is only gray at the ends. I don't spend a lot of time in the sun so that's not it. I didn't think this was possible; I thought either the whole strand is your normal color or it's gray. Sorry, I have no information for you other than I have the same hair issue!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Yes, the ends of my hair do need a good trim. Good to know I'm not alone (or nuts)!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Its just damaged ends. If you look really closely you probably will see a bunch of split ends too.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 20,810 times
I'm 22 and I have the same issue. Half my hair has done the same thing in the last two weeks. I'm not out in the sun much so its not sun bleached and my hair was just cut a little over a month ago so I don't have split/damaged ends. I asked my beautician what causes this and she said she doesn't know.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 20,585 times
Default Gray ends of hair

this is not going to help anyone, but just wondering if anybody was dieting during this happening to them?I was taking phentermine and working out every night. I lost 50 pounds and then plateaud. So I doubled my workout and within 2 weeks, I started losing all my muscles, my ends of my hair turned gray, my hair dried out and started breaking off and falling out. still falling out by the way. I read on the internet that malnutrition can cause you to lose pigment in your hair and it appears gray.so I'm just curious if anybody else dieting? And do any of you have autoimmune disorders? such as lupus, RA, MS?thanks for any input!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:34 PM

277 posts, read 506,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am 35, and I haven't found any grey hairs yet, other than a few that appeared during my last pregnancy, when I was 30. My hair is medium brown, but each strand is typically striped with brown, red, or blonde. My hair is not straight--it's kind of wavy and fluffy. A little while ago, while looking in the bathroom mirror, I noticed the end of one of my curls looked silvery white. I pulled it out to get a better look, and it does look like the bottom couple of inches are white. I think I might have a couple more of these too.

Is this normal? I thought grey hair grew from the scalp ... can a previously pigmented strand of hair go white beginning at the bottom?
Grey hair grows from the strand not the scalp as so they say. The end of my hair grew red and I cut it and it grew back red. Funny because only the end of a few strands kept doing that. Maybe in your case you are just going gray.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
I was doing a search for this and I came up here!

I was wondering the same thing. I see it in my hair, but most noticeably I see it (embarrassingly enough) in my eyebrow and nose hair.

The tip will be white, but the root will be brown/black.

The extent of the greying has increased as I have gotten older, and I have even noticed at times that my hair has gotten more or less grey from time to time. I do not know what may be causing this. Every time I look online, I see more ads for hair dye than answers to hair why!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care