Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:23 PM

216 posts, read 698,076 times

Advertisements

while i will continue to wash my hair, i have cut back from washing it every other day to maybe once a week. i have curly hair that i dye, and the washing every other day was a nightmare, it would dry my hair out, hence i would start getting dandruff, then i would have to buy selsun blue or something like that. i will wash it once a week, then during the week, i will rinse it and while its drying, scrunch some conditioner on the ends.

surprisingly, its going very well. my red hair dye lasts longer, i use less shampoo and conditioner.

also, i've been reading it cuts down on the plastic containers that end up in the dumps. thats a green thing!!

any thots, you all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
I'm 62 with thin, straight, oily hair that is short, long enough on top for med. rollers though. If I don't shampoo for one day it's a greasy mess. I know they say if you just don't shampoo it will eventually adjust but I don't feel clean. I understand how some people don't need to shampoo all the time, my MIL could go for several weeks without washing her hair, it didn't get oily and she didn't have dandruff either.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I wash mine every other day. I have very dry hair, but no dandruff problem. After two days it starts to smell and simple rinsing isn't going to take care of the odors.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
I think if it works for you and your hair, then do whatever you want! I'd say people with curly hair might benefit and I don't quite understand all the hoopla over "no poo" lately. I have straight hair that gets oily and flat and very itchy if I don't wash it at least every other day, so it frankly just doesn't suit my hair type.

I don't like to hear the overly righteous reasons for it though (which I've heard from other sources, not you though, roxie.) like the buzzwords "toxins getting into scalp" or "better for the earth" or things like that. I already do an awful lot to help reuse, recycle, compost, grow my own veg,shop locally, etc but personally, I'm stickin' to washin'!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Whatever works for you.
My hair is dry and I wash it everyday, only because I exercise and do outdoorsy stuff.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:27 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
I often just rinse my hair, run some conditioner through it and skip the 'wash' part...I will give my hair a good wash 2-3 times a week...the rest is just wet, condition and rinse...but I do work out alot so I do wash if need be...

Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 PM

657 posts, read 1,599,467 times
LOL.. i'm not a regular in this forum, but i couldn't help but laugh at the link on the main page.. constipated much?

Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,775 times
I dye my hair and only wash it every other day, but sometimes I'll let it go a bit longer than that (and have before I started bleaching it and dying it). After a few days (usually about 3) I feel like I have to wash it though because it gets oily and icky and I hate wearing hats or pulling it back all the time. Sometimes I'll skip shampooing and just condition it too (the bottom half of my hair is really really dry from bleaching it and dying it weird colours).

Old 04-11-2009, 12:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I swim 5 days a week.
Even though I use a bathing cap, my hair still gets a bit damp and chloriney.
I appreciate the 'no poo' movement, but I don't think it would work for me.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:46 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I know I wash my hair every other day and it is dyed and the dye itself dries it out not the shampoo . so I used tons of conditioner and I dont think I am saving any money at all really if anything I am spending more on conditioner than i have in the past .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care